ATI AIW 7500 AGP refresh rate problems

Old August 19th 04, 07:16 PM

Default ATI AIW 7500 AGP refresh rate problems

I have a ATI All in Wonder 7500 AGP installed in a new Intel 865PERL
board, P4 3.0 Ghz 800 Mhz 1Ghz of Micron ram. I had previously been
running this 7500 in a Abit BX6 Rev 2 board with no problems, but the
board died on me so I upgraded all my systems.

This AIW 7500 went in the Intel board, which was at the time using a
Matrox G450 without any problems. I have the Video card connected to
the ATI Digital to analog adaptor, which is plugged into a 15 foot KVM
cable set up = monitor, mouse, keyboard, which is plugged into a
Linksys KVM.

I also have a another computer plugged into the KVM with a Matrox G450
.. I also use the KVM to plug in computers I may be working on. All use
the same KVM cabling.

When I made the change with the ATI, I noticed that I was having
trouble with refresh rates using my old but high end IIyama 17 inch
CRT. In XP PRO, OR dual boot Win 2000 PRO, while Display properties
show 1068 X 768 32bit @85 hz, or 100 Hz, the monitor itself shows a
refresh rate of 60 Hz, as does the ATI display monitor utility. It
doesn't really look like 60 Mhz, but I can't be sure what it is
actually running at. It doesn't look like 60, which is what the
monitor is telling me, or 85 which is what I have it set at.

I thought maybe it is the KVM or the cabling but all the other setups
on the KVM were working fine. I waited for and tired new drivers but
it didn't help. Non of the other computers on the KVM were having this
problem so I assumed this was some oddball compatibility problem
between the ATI card and this circa 1996 monitor.

Last night I plugged a new Nokia 445PRO into the KVM and am
experiencing exactly the same problem. And this time I know I am not
running at the right refresh rate. If I use the KVM to switch to the
G450 it looks a lot sharper.

The first thing I did was to swap out the monitor to KVM cable, with
the new one that came with the Nokia. No change, .... then I tried a
direct monitor to video card connection. No difference. It is not the
KVM or the KVM cabeling, or the Monitor, or the monitor to video card
cabeling.

So now I am down to the video card and or digital to analog adaptor.
Is it possible that the 7500 is having a problem with this
motherboard... something to do with the AGP slot, which BTW supports
up to 8x. And yet this is a Intel board that with the Matrox G450 dual
head works fine.

I am out of ideas? Bad adaptor, bad video card? Any body seen this one
before? Any thoughts?