Stuttering DVD playback with sound problems 9700 to blame?

Old June 24th 03, 06:14 PM
Usenetter

Default Stuttering DVD playback with sound problems 9700 to blame?

IDE in PIO mode ?

"Bill L" wrote in message
Hello all

Had a Sapphire 9700 np in the PC for about 2 weeks now but am getting
serious playback problems with DVD movies (note: this is the only way I

can
currently watch DVD movies). Basically the video stutters and move out of
sync with the soundtrack (you know the actor speaks and the dialogue is
heard a fraction of a second later) eventually the movie becomes
un-watchable.

If I enable hardware acceleration there is a marginal improvement but to I
have to keep stopping and restarting a movie to get to the end of it.

What gives? I never had this problem with my old GF3 Ti200 and I

understood
that ATI's DVD playback capabilities were superior to my old card - was I
wrong to assume this?

I'm using PowerDVD as my playback program and have also looked at the

Rage3D
forums where it was suggested that the sound card could cause DVD

problems.
However, this was in regard to Creative Audigy SC's (sp?) and I'm using

the
built in MCP SC on my MSI Mobo.

Hope someone can help.

TIA

Bill

Sys spec/config
AMD XP1700+ (1.66 GHz)
MSI KN420 PRO (Using on-board audio & NIC)
768 MB DDR RAM (1x512 1x256 MB DIMMs PC2100, CAS 2.5)
Sapphire 9700 (non-pro) 128MB

GlobalWin 802 ATX Midi Case
Antec TruePower 330 Watt PSU

Primary IDE Channel
1 x 120 GB Maxtor ATA133 (Master)2 Partitions
1 x 40 GB IBM ATA66 (slave)3 Partitions

Secondary IDE Channel
Liteon 40x12x48x CDRW (Master) DL: F
Liteon 16x DVD (Slave) DL: E

OtherHW
HP 940C USB Printer
Cannon LiDE30 USB Scanner
Belkin 7 Port USB HUB
Hauppauge WinTV PCI

OS: WinXP Pro SP1

Old June 24th 03, 08:17 PM
Bill L

Nope - IDE enabled on both primary and secondary channels so that's not the
problem but thanks for the input.

Bill

"Usenetter" wrote in message
IDE in PIO mode ?

Old June 24th 03, 09:55 PM
Bill L

Duh!! Sorry Paul I meant to say that UDMA is enabled on both channels.
Interestingly the problem does not occur with Media Player 9.0 but this is
not a satisfactory solution (not very versatile) so I've ordered WinDVD XP
(only £15) to see if this will cure the problem (PowerDVD was bundled with
the Sapphire card).

I'll post in this thread if WinDVD solves the problem.

Bill
"Paul Murphy" wrote in message
I fully understand that both Primary and Secondary IDE channels are

enabled
(can see that from your machine specs below) but are they in PIO (or UDMA)
mode? If you go into device manager it should tell you what state they're
in. For smooth DVD Video playback your DVD ROM drives controller should
ideally be in UDMA mode (unless UDMA is not supported by the specific
hardware - unlikely). Also, have you installed all the correct motherboard
drivers for your OS - if reqd?

Did your reinstall Power DVD after putting in the new card? Perhaps it
detects the graphics cards capabilities on installation of the program and
sets itself up to suit *that* hardware. FWIW I'm using ATIs Multimedia
Centre 8.1 DVD Player and I have no synchronisation problems at all. I'm

not
sure if it'll install/work with the Sapphire card you have but if you want
to go down that path, Blisware (a UK seller of the MMC 8.1 CDROMs) may

know.

Paul
"Bill L" wrote in message
Nope - IDE enabled on both primary and secondary channels so that's not

the
problem but thanks for the input.

Bill

"Usenetter" wrote in message
IDE in PIO mode ?

Old June 25th 03, 08:20 AM
Paul Murphy

Had a feeling you meant UDMA - thanks for confirming. Maybe the reason why
Media Player doesn't have the same problem as Power DVD is due to the fact
it doesn't detect the hardware capabilities on installation but perhaps when
run. You never answered whether you've considered ATI's MMC (that CDROM was
only £5 but you'd need to confirm it would work with your "powered by ATI"
card first).

Windows sometimes keeps traces of old graphics card drivers and gets in a
mess when different graphics cards are used - perhaps remnants from the
installation of the GF3 Ti200 are causing problems? Have you considered a
fresh OS reinstall after formatting (an option that would cost no money at
all - just time)?

Paul

"Bill L" wrote in message
Nope - IDE enabled on both primary and secondary channels so that's

not
the
problem but thanks for the input.

Bill

"Usenetter" wrote in message
IDE in PIO mode ?

Old June 25th 03, 11:50 PM
Paul Murphy

"Bill L" wrote in message

"LeeB18509" wrote in message

"Bill L" wrote in message
Hello all

Had a Sapphire 9700 np in the PC for about 2 weeks now but am getting
serious playback problems with DVD movies (note: this is the only way

can
currently watch DVD movies). Basically the video stutters and move out

of
sync with the soundtrack (you know the actor speaks and the dialogue

is
heard a fraction of a second later) eventually the movie becomes
un-watchable.

I cured some DVD audio sync problems by unchecking "Enable digital CD

audio
for this CD-ROM device" in the properties of the DVD-ROM. Letting the

sound
go through the cable straight to the soundcard instead of down the PCI

bus.

Some good suggestions - I'll try the disabling the digital playback on the
DVD ROM (what's the down side of this though?).

I've been as through with the Ti200 uninstall as I can be (first

uninstalled
the drivers via control panel, the ran Detonator RIP) and I absolutely

hate
re-installing windows :-(

I have to confess ignorance about ATI MMC - what is it?! (ATI's DVD
player?).

Thanks for the input though, it's much appreciated.

Bill

The downside of disabling digital audio playback is that you'll need to
connect an audio cable between your DVD ROM drive and soundcard/onboard
sound. If you have a suitable audio connector on your motherboard, you could
even use a digital audio DVD ROM Drive cable (has a narrow plug and only 2
wires) so quality wont suffer.

Uninstall routines are notorious for leaving bits behind in the registry and
old files etc If you want to be totally confident that you've got rid of ALL
Ti200 related bits, a complete OS reinstall from scratch on a freshly
formatted hard disk is the safest bet (although admittedly not a quick
solution). If its been some time since this has last occurred, it will
likely make your machine run faster and more reliably though.

As for what MMC does, have a look he
http://www.ati.com/products/faqs/mmcfaq81.html#1 As stated in my earlier
message, it may not install with your "non-built by" ATI hardware though -
you'd need to check that out first.

Paul

Old June 26th 03, 10:28 PM
Bill L

Hi, Specs posted at the bottom of my initial post (AMD XP 1700 CPU so
unlikely to be anything intel about my PC? ;-) DMA enabled etc.

Just got WinDVD (v. 3.1) installed and the stuttering problem has ceased
(though not counting my chickens b4 they hatch etc.). Only thing with WinDVD
is it doesen't pop up with an option to play a movie from the last scene - a
useful feature of PowerDVD 4.0 - which is very annoying.

And thanks for the link to ATI's MMC Paul, may try that in the future

Bill L
thlink.net...

Old June 27th 03, 08:52 PM
LeeB18509

Thanks...

"Bill L" wrote in message
Hi

There is 4 speaker and 6 speaker (5.1) channel audio listed in the WinDVD
audio options tab so there you go (in truth I prefer PowerDVD but as it
doesen't work with my current set-up ...).

I only use 2 channel audio (SC to NAD C 320BEE amp and Kef Cresta 2
speakers - so excellent quality just not very *surround* ;o).

HTH

Bill L

"LeeB18509" wrote in message
Does Windvd have more than 2 channel sound now? That's the reason I

liked
Power Dvd...

"Bill L" wrote in message
Hi, Specs posted at the bottom of my initial post (AMD XP 1700 CPU so
unlikely to be anything intel about my PC? ;-) DMA enabled etc.

Just got WinDVD (v. 3.1) installed and the stuttering problem has

ceased
(though not counting my chickens b4 they hatch etc.). Only thing with

WinDVD
is it doesen't pop up with an option to play a movie from the last

scene -
useful feature of PowerDVD 4.0 - which is very annoying.

And thanks for the link to ATI's MMC Paul, may try that in the future

Bill L
thlink.net...