7N400 Pro2 Problems - Gigabyte quality control?

Old May 27th 04, 02:57 PM
Chris Warner

Default 7N400 Pro2 Problems - Gigabyte quality control?

To make a long story short, a friends kid wants to upgrade his machine and
chose this MB as the first step. I thought it wasn't a bad choice in that
this is the board that both his father and I have been running for the last
6-8 months.

Installed the board and started the clean install of XP Pro. That completed
fine and then put in the driver disk that came with the board and started
the install of the drivers and after the first reboot, no more video, no
beeps no nothing. Tried different processors, memory, different video card
but no matter what I tried the board would not post. Even tried it without
the video card just to get an error out of the board but no joy. Put the
old MB (Soyo Dragon Plus) back in with all the same components and thing
booted like a champ. I boxed the new board back up and returned it to the
store. Of course, they didn't have another so had to wait two days (no
biggie) for them to get another one in. Got the new board yesterday and
installed it last night and you guessed it, this board also has a problem.
No matter what I do, I cannot get the board to post on either the SATA
controller or the onboard Raid Controller.....this is right out of the box.
Both controllers are enabled (by default) but they act as if they are
disabled.

My main question is has anybody had similar problems with this board lately?
I have used at least 6 of these boards without any problems but none since
Christmas. Is Gigabytes quality control lacking lately?

Old May 27th 04, 03:35 PM
John

I bought one at Christmas time and it had intermittent booting problems and
was returned.

This one gets very temperamental if you change any HDD (not using SATA but I
have non RAID drives in removable cradles on the main and RAID controller).
If I change a HDD then it most likely will not boot but starts in hibernate
mode with the appropriate panel light flashing. To resolve it I have to
first press the power button briefly to stop the flashing lights and then
for 4 seconds to turn off. I can then restart normally. Apart from this
peculiarity (which I have decided to live with) it works fine. I suppose if
I did not have drives in cradles I would not be aware of this "feature". If
I do not hear the beep on turn on I know that I have the problem.

My expereince with this board leaves a question mark.
John

Old May 27th 04, 10:08 PM
Dimitris

[...]

I say it is the PSU to blame.. Or Maybe the shop you buy has some
faulty hardware and want to get rid of it. Or your case has some
anomaly that shortcircuits the motherboard. Or gigabyte quality
control is just nuts.. I always wondered if companies intentionally
loose the quality control in order to reduce the cost of
production(less control more motherboard pass even if they are faulty,
hence more products for the same cost).

However i had terrible stability problems with my gigabyte board
untill i got a 525w HEC psu. But the board could post even with the
chieftech 340w psu.
Old May 27th 04, 11:46 PM
schmuck

On Thu, 27 May 2004 13:57:50 GMT, "Chris Warner"

Just on the off-chance, Remove the cmos battery for a few mins, Or if
you have Ver.2 of this board trip the cmos jumpers, and see what that
does.
This board is very temperemental to changes and freezes up and nothing
short of a cleared cmos will bring it back into action.
Start from default settings and work your way up.
Incidentally, Ver 2 board has faster raid chips onboard and that aids
in a faster boot-up as ver 1 was annoyingly slow.

If this doesnt work, then take the board back and demand another, any
dialodue with gigabyte is mostly futile as they have a job even
answering E-mail.