Promise Fastrak setup prompt disable ?

Old November 2nd 04, 01:58 PM
JK (at mail dot dk)

Default Promise Fastrak setup prompt disable ?

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 01:05:53 +0100, Lars-Erik Østerud .@. wrote:

When using the Promise Fastrak S-ATA raid controller on the P4PE you
are always presented with the "Press (ctrl-f) for setup" prompt and a
long pause at boot. There is no password if you press Ctrl-F, and
inside the raid setup one can really mess up things.

Is there a way to disable the setup-prompt, the pause and/or password
protect it (like on SCSI-controllers). My PC is used bt more people
than me, and I'm a bit worried that someone should mess up things :-(

I think not !

If the bios of the fasttrack does not have an option with password.

Take a backup-image of the C-drive, on a single harddisk with no raid.
Drive-image can handle raid drives.

Else I would say that raid0 is not suitable for a PC with such users.
It implies a risk for the performance it gives.

I see you use windows 98. Really ? just a 6 year old OS. Win2k and XP
offer a much nicer setup with multiple desktops, one for each user, -
separate log-in.

best regards

John