A7Pro and SMART issue

Old October 24th 04, 08:05 PM
KKK

Default A7Pro and SMART issue

I have this MB and Bios A7P1011 dated 30 April 2002. I have 2 Maxtor
drives - 40mb each and am using XP Pro.

On boot I get a message something like "SMART failure predicted on
both drives....backup as they may fail...."

Machine then waits until I press F1 and it continues to boot ok. No
problems at all after it has booted.

I have used a few utilities to check out the drives and they come out
ok. The bad sectors, if any, are blocked.

It has to be bad luck if both drives, purchased separately, fait at
the same time. This is a test machine so loss of data will not cause a
lot of grief but how can I make it to boot without the SMART message
coming up? The option in Bios for SMART does not seem to work.
Old October 24th 04, 11:01 PM
tomcas

KKK wrote:
I have this MB and Bios A7P1011 dated 30 April 2002. I have 2 Maxtor
drives - 40mb each and am using XP Pro.

On boot I get a message something like "SMART failure predicted on
both drives....backup as they may fail...."

Machine then waits until I press F1 and it continues to boot ok. No
problems at all after it has booted.

I have used a few utilities to check out the drives and they come out
ok. The bad sectors, if any, are blocked.

It has to be bad luck if both drives, purchased separately, fait at
the same time. This is a test machine so loss of data will not cause a
lot of grief but how can I make it to boot without the SMART message
coming up? The option in Bios for SMART does not seem to work.

Have you checked the drives with the Maxtor Powermax utility?
Old October 25th 04, 10:19 PM
DRSAP

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:01:16 GMT, tomcas
wrote:

Have you checked the drives with the Maxtor Powermax utility?

Thanks. Tried it and both drived passed the advanced test. Still get
the SMART error message and need to press F1 to continue with boot
sequence.