P4P800 Deluxe Running P4 2.8E at 76 Celsius

Old April 6th 04, 03:03 AM
Brian

Default P4P800 Deluxe Running P4 2.8E at 76 Celsius

I am running one of the new Prescott CPU's on a P4P800 Deluxe
using the updated BIOS 1016, CPU is a 2.80E, running at 2800Mhz,
using the 800Mhz FSB with Dual 3200 DDR. The CPU is mounted
with the stock Intel heatsink/fan and thermal tape.
Most BIOS settings are either "Standard" or "Auto".

I realise this CPU runs hotter than the earlier P4's but running
under load at 76 Celsius seems a bit too hot to me?

My room temp is about 28C, and using Motherboard Monitor 5,
on startup the case temp is about 35C and the CPU 64C, the CPU
temp dropped shortly after to around 52C. The core voltage is
between 1.32v - 1.38v but usually closer to 1.32v so the max
of 1.4v is not being exceeded to create extra heat.

At idle the case temp averages 35-40C and CPU 50-55C.
Running only Seti the case is 41-45C and CPU 73-76C.
Current fan speed is 2800 but often rises to about 3500+ .
These temps are with the left side case panel removed.

If I replace the side panel the slight increase in heat causes
the CPU fan to rise to 5200+ and the noise drives me nuts :-)

Is this too hot for this CPU?
Does anyone else have experience with this CPU etc?

Brian
Old April 6th 04, 08:17 AM
Brian

Oooops.....I found the problem was due to one of the top heatsink clips
being disconnected so a quick reattachment and it is now running
nicely at around 44C.

Old April 7th 04, 12:10 AM
DaveW

You're going to damage either the CPU or the motherboard by running the CPU
at 76C. You need a better cooling solution.

--
DaveW