Boot problems with Asus sp97v motherboard

Old January 24th 04, 09:31 AM
Trueman

Default Boot problems with Asus sp97v motherboard

I have just upgraded a computer to Win98 so the owner could use a
digital camera with the computer. On boot up though the computer would
lock up at the splash screen every time. I could boot into sdafe mode
though so I tried everything I could think of. Disabling all devices,
going into msconfig and trying various selective startup options,
physically removing all devies such as the vid card, com ports, etc
even the mouse and keyboard connections. In the end I upgraded direct
to Winme and that managed to fix the problem and I was able to boot
the machine.

However then I added a PCi usb2.0 card and on the first boot after it
installed the drivers the computer locked up again. I went through all
the steps I tried above including following many MS knowlegde base
articles on trouble shooting boot up problems but I cannot get the
computer to boot up unless I remove the pci-usb card (Which is needed
for the camera.) Ieven tried a different drive with Win98 installed
but still no luck getting it to bootup.

Here are the specs of the machine

Asus sp97v motherboard
48mbram
200mhz Pentium
3 gig hdd
2meg vid card.

Any suggestions???
Old January 25th 04, 12:14 AM
DaveW

I don't believe the old machine meets the minmum specs for using USB. But I
could be wrong.

--
DaveW

om...

Old January 25th 04, 07:52 AM
Gene Puhl

(Trueman) astounded us with:
om:

[...]

I would try installing the USB card and then a clean install of WinME. The
card "should" then be detected during the install. I have had the scenario
where I have plugged a new USB device in and then started the machine and
WinME will hang when it detects the USB device. Better to let WinME finish
booting and THEN plugging in the device, but you can't DO that with a card,
hence my suggestion.

--
Gene P