A7N8X-E Won't POST

Old January 8th 04, 10:36 PM
Kathy

Default A7N8X-E Won't POST

Ok... totally frustrated...

A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo. System spins, but won't post. I removed EVERYTHING, so
system was without CPU, Mem, Video, etc... I get No CPU Error Voice Code.
Ok... no problem. Pop in the CPU (tried with multiple CPUS all of which were
working in other systems), and no post code, no beeps, no voice, nothing.
System spins up (PSU fans and CPU fans are going), but sits in limbo... Is
this indicative of a bad socket on the Mobo? Meaning, is my Mobo Screwed? I
am assuming it isn't the processor, since I tried multiple working
processors already...

Please help... the urge to get the slegde hammer is overwhelming at this
point. This is occurring just after an A7A266 Mobo crapped out....

=Scott=

Old January 9th 04, 07:37 PM
Mortimer Schnurd

Regarding
Kathy wrote:

Ok... totally frustrated...

A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo. System spins, but won't post. I removed EVERYTHING, so
system was without CPU, Mem, Video, etc... I get No CPU Error Voice Code.
Ok... no problem. Pop in the CPU (tried with multiple CPUS all of which were
working in other systems), and no post code, no beeps, no voice, nothing.
System spins up (PSU fans and CPU fans are going), but sits in limbo... Is
this indicative of a bad socket on the Mobo? Meaning, is my Mobo Screwed? I
am assuming it isn't the processor, since I tried multiple working
processors already...

Please help... the urge to get the slegde hammer is overwhelming at this
point. This is occurring just after an A7A266 Mobo crapped out....

=Scott=

Any of the MB lights come on?
--
John Wood a.k.a. Mortimer Schnurd

Old January 11th 04, 02:37 PM
Mortimer Schnurd

Have you tried resetting the BIOS via the Jumper? It could be you have
some faulty settings preventing the post.
--
Regards,
JW

Regarding
Kathy wrote:

Yes, The green standby light on the MB. That's all.

-Scott-

"Mortimer Schnurd" wrote in message
.. .
Regarding

Old January 11th 04, 03:23 PM
a7n8x

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 22:36:41 GMT, "Kathy"
wrote:

Ok... totally frustrated...

A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo. System spins, but won't post. I removed EVERYTHING, so
system was without CPU, Mem, Video, etc... I get No CPU Error Voice Code.
Ok... no problem. Pop in the CPU (tried with multiple CPUS all of which were
working in other systems), and no post code, no beeps, no voice, nothing.
System spins up (PSU fans and CPU fans are going), but sits in limbo... Is
this indicative of a bad socket on the Mobo? Meaning, is my Mobo Screwed? I
am assuming it isn't the processor, since I tried multiple working
processors already...

Please help... the urge to get the slegde hammer is overwhelming at this
point. This is occurring just after an A7A266 Mobo crapped out....

=Scott=

My A7N8X Deluxe was working until I saved the BIOS setting one time
too many. Now it is dead, possibly due to a corrupted bios. Just doing
some due diligence before I RMA.

Where's my hammer?
Old January 19th 04, 06:42 PM
Rick

Pull the motherboard out of the case you left an un-needed stand off in
there. Remove it and re-install the board

Old January 24th 04, 01:38 PM

I had the same problem.

I ended up following the recommendation of some trouble shooting steps from asus. Pulled
the board out of the case and put it on a piece of cardboard. The system booted with no
problems. I think it might have been a standoff that wasn't in use. I ended up putting
electical tape on all the standoffs and using washers with the screws.

Here are the troubleshooting steps from asus:

Below is a list of troubleshooting steps that may help you to diagnose
your problem.

Please check http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx to
verify that your board will properly support the CPU that you have. This
link will list the minimum BIOS and PCB version that you must have to
PROPERLY support your CPU.

Please check that the MB is not picking up EMI interference or improperly
grounding against the case. Please remove the MB from the case and set it
up DIRECTLY on the cardboard box it came in or some other non-static,
non-conductive surface like a telephone book. Connect up everything to
the MB and see if the problem persists. If this corrects the problem, you
will need to electrically isolate the MB from the case. You will need to
use electrical tape over the brass stand-offs that support the MB to the
case and use the red paper washers between the screw heads and the MB.
The red paper washers should have came with your case hardware or they can
be purchased at Radio Shack or a computer store. Also double check that a
motherboard standoff is NOT placed in a spot where the motherboard is not
designed to be grounded, as some cases will have different standoff
locations to accommodate different styled of motherboards. Also check
that there are no other metal objects that could contact the motherboard
or any other electrical device attached to the system, such as a metal
burr, loose screw, metal rod, or any other object that could cause a
short.

If your ASUS motherboard has the ASUS Voice Post Reporter feature, please
connect a working set of speakers or headphones to the lime green jack on
the MB's onboard sound and make sure the onboard sound is enabled. Make
sure that the speakers are powered on and turned up.

No post, No boot with no beep codes
Take out the memory to force a bios post error, or at least to get some
beep codes. The beep code for no memory on all of our motherboards (MBs)
is 1 long beep, or 8 long beeps in an endless loop. If you do get a beep
code then try a different stick of memory to see if that fixes the
problem.

If you do not get a beep code with the memory removed from the system,
please verify that you have a case speaker plugged into the motherboard.
This will connect to the “PANEL” on the motherboard. If your motherboard
has a POST Reporter, plug a set of headphones or speakers into the GREEN
audio jack on the back of the system. If there is still no error message
or beep code, check that the MB is not picking up EMI interference or
improperly grounding against the case.

Next test the CPU: An overheating CPU may cause a system to abruptly shut
down to protect from CPU damage. You will want to test the CPU in a known
good working MB. If you test on a motherboard that you know works and the
CPU still does not work, you know you have a bad CPU. But if you test it
and works fine on the known good working motherboard, you know that you
either have a bad MB or Bad Power supply. You should also try to clear
the BIOS on the MB by disconnecting the power for the system, removing the
CMOS battery and shorting the points of solder (or jumper pins) called
CLRTC (Clear Real Time Clock) for about 10-20 seconds. Also, please check
that your heatsink and fan are properly installed and that you are using
exactly one heat transfer agent between the CPU and heatsink (ex. Artic
Silver). Make sure that the heatsink compound is applied ONLY to the CPU
die and that it is NOT shorting any surface mount components on top of the
CPU or contacting the CPU's pins.

Then, check the memory. Please check with the memory module maker to see
if the module you are using has been tested or certified with the chipset
on your motherboard. Also, you can try testing one memory module at a
time to determine if a module is defective or incompatible.

Please ask the memory manufacturer the following questions:
Have you done any certification testing with this memory module and our MB
(motherboard) or any MB using the same chipset at the density you are
trying to use (ex. 3*512MB DIMMS totaling 1.5GB of memory)?
If the answer is no and they just build to a certain
specification/standard, then who's specification/standard do they use and
how do they validate their design? If they just build the memory and do
not validate it how do they know it will perform?

Unfortunately, we cannot validate every manufacturer's memory as there are
thousands of module manufactures. We have to rely on them to validate
their memory with our boards. To find out if this memory is compatible,
please contact the modules manufacturer to see if they have approved this
memory with the board you have or are considering. When we design our MB
we follow the chipset makers specifications with regards to memory. We do
validate the memory IC maker's reference designs with our MB to make sure
they are up to spec. and to see if we need to add support for Higher
density ICs.

Most memory module makers do not follow the IC maker's reference designs
so they may use any IC's on their memory module. There is nothing wrong
with this, but if they deviate from the IC makers reference designs, or
even if they use the IC makers reference, they should do some level of
validation to insure quality.

We are one of the largest MB makers so one would think that if you were
making a product, you would test your product with the most popular
associated products.

Here is a list of memory manufacturers that use our motherboards, as well
as others, to do this type of testing, and also will post a guarantee that
their memory will work in our motherboards, as well as others. Please
check the following websites for compatibility:

www.corsairmicro.com
www.unigen.com
www.smartm.com
www.mushkin.com

Finally, test the Power Supply. Computer systems are getting more
complicated and offer more features like wake or power on by KB, or wake
on LAN, or on Ring from your Modem. All of these features are powered
from the +5 Volt Standby Voltage and the configuration of your system will
determine the minimum required Voltage from the power supply's +5 Volt
Stand-by lead.
Example:
Basic system with no features, Min Voltage for most of our MBs (+5VSB)
85-1.0 Amps
Wake On LAN Even if not being used, but connected .35-.5 Amps
Wake on Ring Even if not being used, but connected .35-.5 Amps
Wake On KB USB or PS2 .35-.85 amps

These are minimums, so the suggested Min for +5VSB with most of our MB
would be 1.0 Amps. If any of these features are connected then as much as 3 amps
on +5VSB may be needed for the system to power on properly. Also, please check to
make sure your power supply can supply enough power to your system.

If the CPU is below 700 MHz, the power supply we suggest is as follows:
300 Watts with +5 Volt @ 25 amps, +12 Volt @ 10 amps, and +3.3 Volt @ 14
amps. If the CPU speed is above 700MHz, the power supply we suggest as follows:
350 Watt with +5V @ 30 amps, +12V @ 12 amps, and +3.3V @ 22 amps.
If the CPU speed is above 2000MHz, the power supply we suggest as follows:
350 Watt with +5V @ 30 amps, +12V @ 15 amps, and +3.3V @ 22 amps.
For Dual Intel MB, Min. P.S. should be:
350 Watt with +5V @ 35 amps, +12V @ 15 amps, and +3.3V @ 22 amps.
For Dual AMD MB, Min. P.S. should be:
400 Watt with +5V @ 38 amps, +12V @ 15 amps, and +3.3V @ 20 amps.

Please note that these are only suggestions and the actual size of the
power supply may be larger than we suggest. Also, depending on the
configuration of your system, you may need more power than listed above.
For example, running multiple hard drives, CR-Rom drives or other
accessories may increase the power requirements of your system.

Some messages are self-explanatory; others like "201 error code" indicate
a RAM failure. Numerous CMOS error messages, or a speaker that doesn't
work, or a keyboard that is known to be functional on another system, all
can indicate a failing motherboard.
A long beep that does not stop may indicate a power supply problem. All
other beeps will require the beep code list in the manual to determine
their meaning.
If you suspect your motherboard is bad or failing, a technician from your
vendor can run diagnostic programs in an attempt to confirm the condition
of your board.
A bad or failing CPU may cause a slow, single beep or unrecognized beep
code, accompanied by no display screen or ports that may not function.
Often it's helpful to have a running computer nearby that you can test
individual components with to narrow down the suspected problem.
An incorrectly installed floppy drive may not be "detected" by the system.
Cables may be reversed, or the floppy drive may not be enabled in the BIOS
settings. If the light stays on continuously, it's probably a reversed
cable.
Hard drives that are not "detected" by the system may not have the jumpers
placed correctly on the drive's pins to indicate whether they are the
master or slave units. Check the positioning of the jumpers according to
the stamped diagrams on the unit. Confirm that the circuit board in the
unit agrees with the label or the stamp on top. Go by the circuit board
markings if given a choice.
"Hard Disk Drive Fail" error might indicate the power cable is not
connected to your drive. A constantly lit hard drive light might mean a
bad IDE cable, a defective hard drive or motherboard. Test a known
working drive to help you determine the situation.
No display? Perhaps your video card isn't seated correctly. Turn off
your system and re-install it.
USB ports aren't functional? Go into the BIOS settings and enable them.
Instructions to enter the BIOS will appear somewhere on your boot-up
screen during POST (Power-On Self-Test). In BIOS you'll be navigating
with your arrow keys and keyboard. Never change anything that you aren't
familiar with.
Your system's requirements may vary, but typically while in the BIOS you
might want to disable the virus detection, if you have other virus
software installed. "PnP OS installed?" should be answered as "yes" if
you have a plug and play operating system installed (Windows 2K/XP).
If your OS won't boot up, re-enter the BIOS and reset to its default
settings. If your system refuses to post, refer to your motherboard
manual for instructions on clearing the BIOS back to the default setting
for your motherboard.
If you have a working computer system available to test components, you
can narrow down the problem device with certainty and with ease. If the
system is linked to the Internet, you'll be able to look up beep codes,
error messages or re-check other pertinent information. The good news is
that resolution is just around the corner when you finally discover the
problem!

If this still does not work:
1) Try to exchange the item with your vendor
2) Visit http://helpdesk.asus.com on the web, click on the ASUS RMA Online
link, and request an RMA
3) Send an E-mail to with your name, address and phone
number, and the serial number of your product.
4) If you are in the USA or Canada, please call our RMA department at
(510)739-3777 option 3. Please have the serial number of your ASUS product
handy when you call.

Please call 502-995-0883 if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,
Technical Support Team
NT001

Old January 25th 04, 11:46 PM
JL

Here goes another one!!! Damn A7NX8s!!! It was working like a charm..
then I did some changes in the BIOS saved and.... Hasta la vista
baby..

Tried all and every possible thing

I loved this board but I guess its time to say bye to ASUS after so
many years

((((

JL
Old January 31st 04, 08:25 PM
John

You said "I did some changes in the BIOS saved and.... Hasta la vista
baby.. And you have the nerve to Blame ASUS LOL

om...