Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Win 2000, Radeon 9600XT -> Problem

Old November 30th 03, 05:11 AM
David Henderson

Default Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Win 2000, Radeon 9600XT -> Problem

Hi
I have just put together a system containing
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Athlon (Barton) 2500+
Sapphire Radeon 9600XT
512MB Crucial Ram

I installed Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Then installed the Nvidia
Nforce2 drivers supplied with the Mboard. All was well up until this
stage.

Next I installed the latest Win2K catalyst drivers for the Radeon.

Now when I try to log into windows at the Ctrl-Alt-Del prompt it fails.
Or rather it just displays the login prompt without any error.

When I uninstall the catalyst drivers the problem goes away.

I was able to install the catalyst drivers and had them working fine
only when the nvidia nforce2 drivers had not been installed.

Are there any known issues with these drivers and windows 2000? I am very
reluctant to spend money on Win XP if there is a simple solution to this
problem.

Thanks
Old November 30th 03, 06:59 AM
Inglo

On 11/29/2003 8:11 PM David Henderson befouled our nation with:

[...]

Have you got your memory set to large system cache? The catalysts don't
like that. But that usually causes delayed write failures, speaking
from XP experience. Thought you might have 2000 server set with server
memory settings.

--
My huckleberry friend, Moon River and,

Steve [Inglo]
Old November 30th 03, 07:32 PM
John

I tried the 3.9 drivers with my new 9600xt and the system would not work
with my nvidia nforce2 driver motherboard either. The 3.8 does work just
fine and that came with my Sapphire. Maybe we need to wait for 4.0 or later
drivers.

John

Old December 1st 03, 12:23 PM
David Henderson

"John" wrote in message news:AIqyb.259635$mZ5.1908779@attbi_s54...
I tried the 3.9 drivers with my new 9600xt and the system would not work
with my nvidia nforce2 driver motherboard either. The 3.8 does work just
fine and that came with my Sapphire. Maybe we need to wait for 4.0 or later
drivers.

John

Thanks all for your help.

I eventually bit the bullet and bought XP. I just couldn't get things
to work with Advanced Server.

Works fine now. I'm using the 3.9 catalyst drivers and the latest
nvidia nforce2 drivers.

cheers
Old December 1st 03, 01:12 PM
Antal van Kalleveen

I've found that NONE of the current ATI Catalyst drivers (3.7, 3.8
and/or 3.9) work with Windows 2000 Server edition.

Note this only affects the "Server" editions of 2000.

This is a bug which should be solved by ATI or don;t they support
"Server" editions ?

Antal

Old December 1st 03, 02:48 PM
dgk

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:12:01 +0100, Antal van Kalleveen
wrote:

I've found that NONE of the current ATI Catalyst drivers (3.7, 3.8
and/or 3.9) work with Windows 2000 Server edition.

Note this only affects the "Server" editions of 2000.

This is a bug which should be solved by ATI or don;t they support
"Server" editions ?

Antal

I tried installing the Catalyst driver on Win2003 Enterprise Server.
The first time I was simply installing all the software and got a
message saying that some file (begins with ATI ends with .DLL) is not
logo approved and contact the manufacturer for an update. I continued
anyway and it wouldn't boot afterwards. Just does a memory dump.

I restored from Ghost, tried installing just the driver. No warning
this time but wouldn't reboot. I contacted the manufacturer and am
awaiting any sort of resolution.
Old December 1st 03, 05:01 PM
Ben Pope

Antal van Kalleveen wrote:
I've found that NONE of the current ATI Catalyst drivers (3.7, 3.8
and/or 3.9) work with Windows 2000 Server edition.

They've all worked for me without problems.

Ben

Old December 1st 03, 05:34 PM
Antal van Kalleveen

Server Edition ? really ? what card do you have and what services do
you run on the machine ?

Old December 1st 03, 05:57 PM
Ben Pope

Antal van Kalleveen wrote:
Server Edition ? really ? what card do you have and what services do
you run on the machine ?

Crucial 9800 Pro.

I tend not to run MS Servers like IIS, FTP, Telnet etc but everything else
is there.

Ben