Video Card Suggestions from Experts?!?!

Old July 31st 03, 11:38 PM
Holiday

Default Video Card Suggestions from Experts?!?!

My current system:

A7V rev. 1.02
TB 950 w/ 392 Megs PC133
Win2k/Win98 Dual Boot
TNT 2 32megs

My loyal TNT 2 has performed admirably the last 3 yrs, especially with
a decent overclock support to help me play even new games on a lower
resolution. I do find this year though that some games are coming out
that will not run at all on this card.

I am on a budget and upgrading the mobo, cpu and memory is not an
option. I am willing to spend upwards of $150US for a decent video
card that will keep my current processor gaming for another year or
two but allow for it to be transposed onto a new system. Any
recmommendations for my TB950 system? Can I run an AGP8X card on this
mobo?

Opinions?

Thanx
Old August 1st 03, 12:02 AM
PHil

I'm no expert, but I highly recommend the ASUS GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB with
AGP 8x (should run just fine on your mobo, but find out for sure).

See just how kick-ass the GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB is:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...n_9600-07.html

A solid gaming card for someone on a budget.

-phil

Old August 1st 03, 01:46 AM
Nobody_of_Consequence

Huh? 12 months? This card is obsolete now.

"rstlne" wrote in message
the 8x might be useless now.. reply to this thread in about 12 months and
lets compare then.. once we see some "software" design'd to take advantage
of the cards

"jaeger" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
I'm no expert, but I highly recommend the ASUS GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB

with
AGP 8x (should run just fine on your mobo, but find out for sure).

See just how kick-ass the GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB is:
[crap link removed]

A solid gaming card for someone on a budget.

If you're getting a 4200, forget the 4200 8x(useless) and get the Asus
4X 8420S. It's a 4200 with 3.3ns RAM(rated for 600MHz). I have one at
300/650, which is 4600 speed and could probably go higher. And it's
quite inexpensive.

Old August 1st 03, 04:50 AM
Minotaur

Would look for an ATI 9700, they should be cheap enough now.
Then just clock it to, 9700 Pro speeds Even at default speeds,
nothing else would come close to performance/price and be capable
of 4X FSAA and 16X AF in Battlefeild 1942 etc

Old August 1st 03, 06:04 AM
Bilbo_Baggins

Holiday wrote in message . ..
My current system:

A7V rev. 1.02
TB 950 w/ 392 Megs PC133
Win2k/Win98 Dual Boot
TNT 2 32megs

My loyal TNT 2 has performed admirably the last 3 yrs, especially with
a decent overclock support to help me play even new games on a lower
resolution. I do find this year though that some games are coming out
that will not run at all on this card.

I am on a budget and upgrading the mobo, cpu and memory is not an
option. I am willing to spend upwards of $150US for a decent video
card that will keep my current processor gaming for another year or
two but allow for it to be transposed onto a new system. Any
recmommendations for my TB950 system? Can I run an AGP8X card on this
mobo?

Opinions?

Thanx

You might want to post to the seperate Nvidia and ATI newsgroups to
get a better idea. I'm a Nvidia person myself and seems like the
currrent consensus is a Geforce 4 (probably Ti4200 or 4800) then a new
Geforce 5 (like the 5600). Also go to Newegg and look at customer
comments and votes. The Asus Ti4200 at $150 has 80 votes at 5 stars.
The MSI card has 70 votes too. Also be aware of memory used, some
same sounding models don't use the same kind memory (like some use 64
bit vs 128 bit memory - I'm not talking megs here).
Old August 1st 03, 10:39 AM
JonnyCab®

I'm no expert, but I highly recommend the ASUS GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB
with
AGP 8x (should run just fine on your mobo, but find out for sure).

I agree, at least with the chipset. I'm using an MSI 4200 8X 128MB with
VIVO.

Old August 1st 03, 11:29 AM
Homer J Simpson

This motherboard is only AGP 2.0 compliant, so it will only support up to
AGP 4x. 8x doesn't do you any good with this mobo.

Old August 1st 03, 05:38 PM
Bilbo_Baggins

"Holiday" wrote in message
My current system:

A7V rev. 1.02
TB 950 w/ 392 Megs PC133
Win2k/Win98 Dual Boot
TNT 2 32megs

My loyal TNT 2 has performed admirably the last 3 yrs, especially with
a decent overclock support to help me play even new games on a lower
resolution. I do find this year though that some games are coming out
that will not run at all on this card.

I am on a budget and upgrading the mobo, cpu and memory is not an
option. I am willing to spend upwards of $150US for a decent video
card that will keep my current processor gaming for another year or
two but allow for it to be transposed onto a new system. Any
recmommendations for my TB950 system? Can I run an AGP8X card on this
mobo?

Opinions?

Thanx

I read (not sure its true or not) that you don't have to worry about
the x factor (2x, 4x, 8x etc) cause this performance parameter only is
used in extreme or rare conditions.