Looking to solve problems before they happen

Old September 2nd 04, 07:18 PM
Will Carter

Default Looking to solve problems before they happen

I'm looking to have the following system put together that I can use as a
multi-boot setup:

Case and PSU: Something from Antec, probably

Motherboard: Asus P4C800 Deluxe

CPU: Intel P4 3.0E 1M mPGA Socket 478 with 800 MHz FSB

RAM: (2) x 256M PC3200 DDR 400, may raise to (4) x 256 or (2) x 512 later

HDD: 80 Gig Seagate 8M 7200 rpm SATA, maybe 160Gigs

Video card: 64M Sapphire ATI Radeon 7000 AGP4x

Monitor: NEC 19-inch CRT

The main thing I want to know is whether Win 98SE will run on this hardware
as is or what workarounds I'd need to get it to run without problems. For
the time being I need Win98SE to run some legacy DOS programs, although I
will dump it later

Initially I'd want to set up Win 98SE and either XP Pro or 2000 Pro to boot
separately on separate partitions with my apps on a third partition. Later
I probably will want to add Linux in order to learn it.

If anyone knows, what problems if any with any of this hardware or these
features do I have to look out for with Win 98SE? If there are problems are
there any patches or drivers I'll need to have on hand to prevent/fix them?

If any of these hardware choices presents a particular problem is there a
different one just as good that solves it?

Anything anyone could tell me about setting up this kind of dual boot setup
on this hardware would be great.

TIA to all for your help before I spend my money--

Will

Old September 4th 04, 10:49 PM
David Maynard

YanquiDawg wrote:

Decent setup,except the vid card. Get at least a 9600 pro,if you must have ATI.
W98 will run fine.

Well, except for the 2.2 Gig speed problem (download the fix), needing to
modify system.ini to restrict disk cache to under 500 Meg (when he adds the
RAM he listed), fdisk not working on drives over 64 Gig (download the fix),
Format displaying wrong with drives over 64 Gig (ignore it, it still works)
and the 137 Gig hard drive limit (the fdisk fix don't 'fix' that).

Old September 4th 04, 11:16 PM
Will Carter

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:49:18 -0500, you wrote:

YanquiDawg wrote:

Decent setup,except the vid card. Get at least a 9600 pro,if you must have ATI.
W98 will run fine.

Well, except for the 2.2 Gig speed problem (download the fix), needing to
modify system.ini to restrict disk cache to under 500 Meg (when he adds the
RAM he listed), fdisk not working on drives over 64 Gig (download the fix),
Format displaying wrong with drives over 64 Gig (ignore it, it still works)
and the 137 Gig hard drive limit (the fdisk fix don't 'fix' that).

Thanks to the both of you. I think I've tracked down those fixes.

Is there anything else you can think of that might throw me off, or any
reason I should go with a different config in order to run Win98? I think
I've got the info I need to set up the Win 98/Win 2000 Pro dual boot
arrangement okay, but if you can add anything that would be great.

Thanks again.

Will

Old September 5th 04, 01:19 AM
David Maynard

YanquiDawg wrote:

Decent setup,except the vid card. Get at least a 9600 pro,if you must have ATI.
W98 will run fine.

Well, except for the 2.2 Gig speed problem (download the fix), needing to
modify system.ini to restrict disk cache to under 500 Meg (when he adds the
RAM he listed), fdisk not working on drives over 64 Gig (download the fix),
Format displaying wrong with drives over 64 Gig (ignore it, it still works)
and the 137 Gig hard drive limit (the fdisk fix don't 'fix' that).

Thanks to the both of you. I think I've tracked down those fixes.

Is there anything else you can think of that might throw me off, or any
reason I should go with a different config in order to run Win98? I think
I've got the info I need to set up the Win 98/Win 2000 Pro dual boot
arrangement okay, but if you can add anything that would be great.

Nothing else I can think of off hand other than to verify that all your
hardware comes with Win98 drivers.

Thanks again.

Will

Old September 6th 04, 04:13 AM
David

(Will Carter) wrote in message . ..
[...]

Dont recommend the ATI card if you plan to use linux.
Nvidia has MUCH better linux support than ATI in linux.
Best wishes.
Dave