Problem with ECS K7S5A and Athon XP 2100

Old January 15th 04, 02:22 PM
Alain Migeon

Default Problem with ECS K7S5A and Athon XP 2100

Hi

I have some hardware problem making my computer to reboot (like pressing
the reset button).

Here is the hardware.
Motherboard : ECS K7S5A
CPU : Athlon XP 2100
Memory : 2 * 256 MB, PC133

I am using Windows 2000 as operating system.

If I use 133 / 133 in the frequencies Bios settings, then the computer
displays XP 2100 at startup. Windows starts, and after a few second, the
computer reboots.
Now I am going to 100 / 100, then the computer starts, I can log in,
but, if I run a heavy program (compiling codes for example), then the
computer reboots.

There is also a heavy parasite noise coming out from the speakers. It
was not the case before.

I guess I have a hardware problem. Since the sound card is integrated
with the motherboard, I strongly suspect this one. But can this problem
also come from the CPU / memory / power supply?

Thanks in advance,

Alain Migeon
Old January 15th 04, 03:03 PM
Mr. Slow

"Alain Migeon" wrote in message
[...]

This is a common fault with ECS K7S5A Rev 3.1 boards. The screech from the
speakers when the machine hangs is a particular characteristic! You would be
well advised to return the board under warranty but if your warranty has
expired then you can probably fix the problem by fitting a large PSU, such
as the QTEC Gold 550w which solved the problem for me. Also, try running
with just one stick of SDRAM assuming you are using SDR rather than DDR ram.
This is also a known issue. I am not going to talk about the famous K7S5A
lost CMOS issue!

Old January 15th 04, 05:28 PM
philo

This is a common fault with ECS K7S5A Rev 3.1 boards. The screech from the
speakers when the machine hangs is a particular characteristic! You would

be
well advised to return the board under warranty but if your warranty has
expired then you can probably fix the problem by fitting a large PSU, such
as the QTEC Gold 550w which solved the problem for me. Also, try running
with just one stick of SDRAM assuming you are using SDR rather than DDR

ram.
This is also a known issue. I am not going to talk about the famous K7S5A
lost CMOS issue!

I have the PRO version of that board and it works fine...
but have heard from several people that your particular version is indeed
flawed...