Help: Need Motherboard Info Inside Old Compaq

Old December 2nd 03, 04:08 AM
Darren Harris

Default Help: Need Motherboard Info Inside Old Compaq

I have a Compaq Deskpro that has a 233mhz processor. The machine will
be used for internet only purposes and I wanted to max out the ram and
processor, so I opened it up to try a get a motherboard model number
or something, but can't figure out what and where that info is. And
"MSinfo32" and "HWINFO /UI" are of no help. All I know is that all
original Compaq components are still inside the case.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old December 2nd 03, 04:23 AM
Roger M

Darren Harris wrote:

I have a Compaq Deskpro that has a 233mhz processor. The machine will
be used for internet only purposes and I wanted to max out the ram and
processor, so I opened it up to try a get a motherboard model number
or something, but can't figure out what and where that info is. And
"MSinfo32" and "HWINFO /UI" are of no help. All I know is that all
original Compaq components are still inside the case.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Pitch it in the nearest trash can. It definitely isn't worth spending any
money on. I've had a bunch of Compaq computers. I just tossed one in the
trash today. A Compaq Presario with a 233 processor. Funny thing is the
machine I replaced it with is ten times faster and cost $500 less. Amazing
what progress in technology will do.

Roger

Old December 2nd 03, 05:29 AM
zalzon

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 04:23:54 GMT, Roger M wrote:

Pitch it in the nearest trash can. It definitely isn't worth spending any
money on. I've had a bunch of Compaq computers. I just tossed one in the
trash today. A Compaq Presario with a 233 processor. Funny thing is the
machine I replaced it with is ten times faster and cost $500 less. Amazing
what progress in technology will do.

*ahem* would you mind sending me the sdram on that board?

i've got a 200Mhz processor believe it or not and 32mb of ram. it
still gets things done quite nicely.
Old December 2nd 03, 05:32 AM
zalzon

On 1 Dec 2003 20:08:46 -0800, (Darren Harris)
wrote:

I have a Compaq Deskpro that has a 233mhz processor. The machine will

Mine is an Asus TX-97 and I have a 200Mhz chip on it.

Old December 2nd 03, 01:37 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Darren Harris wrote:
I have a Compaq Deskpro that has a 233mhz processor. The machine will
be used for internet only purposes and I wanted to max out the ram and
processor, so I opened it up to try a get a motherboard model number
or something, but can't figure out what and where that info is. And
"MSinfo32" and "HWINFO /UI" are of no help. All I know is that all
original Compaq components are still inside the case.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

You can learn how much memory you can stuf into this thing by going to
Crucial Memory (www.crucial.com) and using their very nice app to
identify your model. They will tell you how big and how many chips you
can use (they'll sell it to you, too.)

As for CPU, try going into the compaq support site and identifying the
model series and see how fast they got to. Look for the hardware
manual for your machine and see what the jumpers allow for CPU speed.
You might look for the hardware manual for a late model that has a
diagram of the mobo. See if it looks like yours, and then note the
jumper settings for CPS speeds it supports. The problem is that
compaq can substitute a new mobo and keep the same model designation
at any time. LOL.

By "internet only" I assume you mean browsing and email client.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old December 2nd 03, 01:51 PM
jeff findley

zalzon writes:

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 04:23:54 GMT, Roger M wrote:

Pitch it in the nearest trash can. It definitely isn't worth spending any
money on. I've had a bunch of Compaq computers. I just tossed one in the
trash today. A Compaq Presario with a 233 processor. Funny thing is the
machine I replaced it with is ten times faster and cost $500 less. Amazing
what progress in technology will do.

*ahem* would you mind sending me the sdram on that board?

i've got a 200Mhz processor believe it or not and 32mb of ram. it
still gets things done quite nicely.

I could use a 233Mhz processor. If you didn't part it out, it's still
an acceptable way to surf the web on a dial-up connection. Baring
that, it would make a nice MP3 player to hook up to a home stereo.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old December 3rd 03, 02:04 PM
Darren Harris

Thanks.

I thought that all Pentium 2 CPUs had MMX technology. Nevertheless,
this one says Pentium 2 with MMX. It is a slot 1.

Nevertheless, the problem is still finding out what the model number
is of the motherboard or the system itself. The compaq website is
Hewlett Packard, and I see the word "Deskpro" nowhere. Only
"Presario". I attempted to put several numbers that I found on
stickers outside and inside the case, to no avail.

The motherboard has what I see is a "Backplane board? mounted on it
vertically. Into this is plugged the modem and video card.

The connections on the motherboard itself are serial, parrallel, key
board, mouse, two USB, and video connectors.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

To All HP & Compaq Laptop Users, please read this Yvo General 4 March 6th 04 02:43 PM
AGP Voltage problem John Overclocking 4 February 29th 04 10:51 AM
M/B info hu man General 2 November 26th 03 01:39 PM
Stuck with a PII on a Biostar motherboard Eric P. Overclocking 2 October 24th 03 11:09 PM
motherboard died and was wondering if this will work kony General 0 June 30th 03 04:08 AM