Help with installing new Graphics Card

Old October 30th 03, 02:48 AM
Rock Schroeter

Default Help with installing new Graphics Card

So I took out my GeForce Ti and replaced it with a new Radeon 9600 SE and
followed the instuctions about uninstalling the old graphics drivers.

When I rebooted with the new card installed, it noticed the new hardware and
I allowed Windows to search for the standard VGA Driver, but it couldn't
find it. So I put in the Win XP cd and it didn't find anything on there
either.

Now I go straight to the ATI supplied cd and try to install the Catalyst
Software Suite, but it fails with an INF error and says "the video driver is
not found, try to set up your display adapter with a standard dirver before
running set up."

How do I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

-Rocky

Old October 30th 03, 03:04 AM
Gary Tait

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:48:50 GMT, "Rock Schroeter"
wrote:

So I took out my GeForce Ti and replaced it with a new Radeon 9600 SE and
followed the instuctions about uninstalling the old graphics drivers.

When I rebooted with the new card installed, it noticed the new hardware and
I allowed Windows to search for the standard VGA Driver, but it couldn't
find it. So I put in the Win XP cd and it didn't find anything on there
either.

Now I go straight to the ATI supplied cd and try to install the Catalyst
Software Suite, but it fails with an INF error and says "the video driver is
not found, try to set up your display adapter with a standard dirver before
running set up."

How do I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

-Rocky

Delete your display adaptor in Control Panel, then reboot.

Old October 30th 03, 07:31 AM
Rock Schroeter

"Gary Tait" wrote in message

Delete your display adaptor in Control Panel, then reboot.

In the Contol Panel I have one thing labeled Display. I can't right-click
delete it, should I drag that to the trash? Sorry for being extra cautious
but I have never done this before.

Old October 30th 03, 09:50 AM
MrJumbles

"Rock Schroeter" wrote in message
om...
"Gary Tait" wrote in message

Delete your display adaptor in Control Panel, then reboot.

In the Contol Panel I have one thing labeled Display. I can't right-click
delete it, should I drag that to the trash? Sorry for being extra

cautious
but I have never done this before.

click on the Display label.it will open to show your gfx card..delete that..
dont forget you can use system restore if goes bad..
Start menuHelp and Support...just restore your system to where it was
before you
started messing it up :-)

Old October 30th 03, 10:09 AM
Rock Schroeter

. ..

"Gary Tait" wrote in message

Delete your display adaptor in Control Panel, then reboot.

In the Contol Panel I have one thing labeled Display. I can't

right-click
delete it, should I drag that to the trash? Sorry for being extra

cautious
but I have never done this before.

click on the Display label.it will open to show your gfx card..delete

that..
dont forget you can use system restore if goes bad..
Start menuHelp and Support...just restore your system to where it was
before you
started messing it up :-)

When I click on the display label in the Control Panel, I get the Display
Properties: Themes, Desktop, Screen Saver, Appearance, and Settings. Where
do I find the Graphics Card?

I think I already deleted the GeForce Card and that's why it fails to load
the new ATI Driver with an INF error and says "the video driver is not

Old October 30th 03, 10:52 AM
Garlic Bread !!

Right click my computer on your desktop.Left click properties from the menu
and system properties will open.Left click hardware then device manager and
then left click the plus (+) next to display adapters.Highlight your gfx
card from the open menu and right click,in that menu click uninstall and
then ok.You dont need to reboot with XP but do so anyway and the o/s will
detect your gfx card and ask for the drivers.If your not sure what to
do,load the disc that came with the card and let it auto run.This should
load the drivers by following the screen prompts.
Good luck

Old October 30th 03, 03:02 PM
Shawk

"Garlic Bread !!" wrote in message
Right click my computer on your desktop.Left click properties from the

menu
and system properties will open.Left click hardware then device manager

and
then left click the plus (+) next to display adapters.Highlight your gfx
card from the open menu and right click,in that menu click uninstall and
then ok.You dont need to reboot with XP but do so anyway and the o/s will
detect your gfx card and ask for the drivers.If your not sure what to
do,load the disc that came with the card and let it auto run.This should
load the drivers by following the screen prompts.
Good luck

As Garlic Bread says but when it reboots and asks for the drivers you might
be better to click on cancel and (provided you have deleted the other
drivers off your system) it will then load the standard vga driver. You can
then install the correct drivers from the CD. HTH, Shawk

Old October 30th 03, 06:45 PM
Rock Schroeter

"Shawk" -guesses wrote in message

As Garlic Bread says but when it reboots and asks for the drivers you

might
be better to click on cancel and (provided you have deleted the other
drivers off your system) it will then load the standard vga driver. You

can
then install the correct drivers from the CD. HTH, Shawk

That's what I was hoping for, but the Wizard couldn't find the vga driver on
my hard drive, on the internet, or the Win XP cd. Where can I get one?

Old October 30th 03, 08:07 PM
Garlic Bread !!

Did you get a driver disc with the new gfx card?If you did the driver is on
that , not the XP cd.Other than that go to :
http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
and download the latest catalyst drivers or go to the card manufacturers
website and get them from there.I have a Radeon 9700pro ultimate and often
check there for new drivers even though the card is a sapphire card.

Old October 30th 03, 10:07 PM
Shep©

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:48:50 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Rock Schroeter"
wrote :

So I took out my GeForce Ti and replaced it with a new Radeon 9600 SE and
followed the instuctions about uninstalling the old graphics drivers.

When I rebooted with the new card installed, it noticed the new hardware and
I allowed Windows to search for the standard VGA Driver, but it couldn't
find it. So I put in the Win XP cd and it didn't find anything on there
either.

Now I go straight to the ATI supplied cd and try to install the Catalyst
Software Suite, but it fails with an INF error and says "the video driver is
not found, try to set up your display adapter with a standard dirver before
running set up."

How do I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

-Rocky

Do you have a drivers disk for the mother board?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de