Cyclic redundancy check

Old October 17th 03, 08:57 AM
sniffer

Default Cyclic redundancy check

Hi All

I am using Windows 2000 pro.

About 6 months ago I installed a new 80 gb hard disk and stored a large
amount of data on it. The disk is split in 4 partitions. After using the
computer normally I shut it down. By the way, at the end of the day when I
shut it down I always run a full virus scan.

Next day I started the computer up it took a long time and requested that I
check the disks. This I did. When I tried to access the info in a partition,
most of the files would not open up. I get the error message

Data Error (Cyclic redundancy check).

Other files would act normally.

I can store new files on any partition without any problem and open them
again without any problem.

Anybody got any info that might help get these files back. I have about 80%
of the files backed up, but I need the rest. A good lesson about backing
up!!!!!!

Dave

--
=======================

Live Long and Prosper

=======================

Old October 17th 03, 02:04 PM
Phrederick

I am using Windows 2000 pro.

About 6 months ago I installed a new 80 gb hard disk and stored a large
amount of data on it. The disk is split in 4 partitions. After using the
computer normally I shut it down. By the way, at the end of the day when I
shut it down I always run a full virus scan.

Realtime virus scanning is a better solution. Scanning at the end of the day
may just tell you "Yup, all your files are garbage now". Realtime scanning
will catch the virus ASAP. It does take a bit of performance away, but it's
worth it. ESPECIALLY where M$ products are involved.

Next day I started the computer up it took a long time and requested that

check the disks. This I did. When I tried to access the info in a

partition,
most of the files would not open up. I get the error message

Could be a few items...

- CMOS settings for the drive size/type were wrong before reboot and
autodetect fixed them next boot? Not sure how relevant it is these days, but
could be a problem a few years back.
- Loose IDE cable. Try reseating the cable or replacing it.
- Other drive causing channel issues. Any chance of running the drive on the
cable by itself?
- It's possible the PC shut off prematurely and the Virus scanner had some
important file open for writing. This may have damaged the drive.

Data Error (Cyclic redundancy check).

Other files would act normally.

I can store new files on any partition without any problem and open them
again without any problem.

Anybody got any info that might help get these files back. I have about

80%
of the files backed up, but I need the rest. A good lesson about backing
up!!!!!!

If you want your data back, ***STOP WRITING TO THE DRIVE!!!***

There are utilities that can scan your drive and rebuild the files to
another drive. Google for "disk recovery" or "file recovery" should ID a
few.

The only other thing, and I really doubt it will help, is to run a few
SCANDISKs.

Since Windows has already tried to scan and repair the drive, there is
probably a fair bit of damage done from the attempted recovery by Windows.

Wish you luck!

Old October 17th 03, 08:40 PM
Shep©

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:57:36 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "sniffer"
wrote :

[...]

Go to the Hard drive maker's site and get their free diagnostic
program and check the drive.If they don't have one the free
Maxtor,"Powermax" works on most makes,
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
Only use it's diagnostic options.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email

Redundancy Check on copy CD to HD Rick King General 4 October 3rd 03 01:36 AM
Check this out... Asirys General 2 October 2nd 03 02:38 AM
Looking for program to check RAM type [email protected] General 1 September 24th 03 11:22 AM
Ram Check James General 5 September 2nd 03 03:02 AM