PSU problem with AMD/Gigabyte combo?

Old October 1st 03, 08:44 PM
Michael Strorm

Default PSU problem with AMD/Gigabyte combo?

Hi,
I'm trying to fix a computer belonging to a local charity, and am
convinced that the problem is the power supply- but this doesn't
explain everything. Stay tuned for weird tales...

I was told that, at first, the problem was that pushing the (case)
power switch caused the fans to start up, then cut out as nothing
happened.
When *I* tried it, however, pushing the switch had no effect at
all- it was seemingly dead.

I took the machine home with me and connected the power supply from
my P4 case (Athlon-compatible) to the Athlon-machine's mobo.

The case fans started up *as soon as the mains power is on* (i.e.
without pushing the case-power-switch, which doesn't turn it off
either) The machine does *not*boot, and (importantly?!) the CPU FAN
DOES NOT TURN, although it's plugged into the motherboard. Although
the heatsink is attached, I don't want to leave the Athlon powered-up
too long.

So far... not good. I reconnect the machine's own power supply and
get *momentary fan movement*, then cutout, just as described above.
Thinking that there was residual power from the P4's "good" PSU, I try
it again... more fan action, then cutout. Same thing the third time.

Two other points- the CPU fan (a) Looks too small for an Athlon
(same size as the one on my Pentium I 233MHz and (b) Requires far more
friction to push it round than the one on my P4, and looks squint.
Should it go round when I blow air at the right angle?

So, to be brief-
- The machine's own (faulty?) power supply either causes
short-lived case-fan activity then cutout, or doesn't work at all
- Having the other (working) power supply connected causes the
computer to start as soon as mains power is applied, but it doesn't
boot and the CPU fan doesn't work.

I would greatly appreciate *any* feedback or thoughts that helped
me solve some or all of this, or at least gave me some pointers.
Thanks!

- Michael S
Old October 2nd 03, 09:27 AM
Smoker

"Michael Strorm" wrote in message
om...
[...]

As a built-in protection, if the HSF doesn't start the system powers off?
Try a different HSF.

Old October 2nd 03, 04:31 PM
Michael Strorm

"Smoker" wrote in message .. .
As a built-in protection, if the HSF doesn't start the system powers off?
Try a different HSF.

Good suggestion, but when it's connected to the P4 power supply, it
doesn't power off. In fact, it comes "on" without any button being
pushed, there's a series of semi-regular clicking sounds (which do not
stop) and the STR_EN motherboard light keeps flickering. That's only
with the P4's PSU, of course.

Good day today.... my 15-month old monitor isn't working now either
(flicker fzzt fz fzzt, you know the score... *sigh*)

- Michael S
Old October 2nd 03, 07:07 PM
Ryan J. Paque

Could the CPU itself be faulty? Or perhaps their is a problem with
the socket itself causinng theMB to freak out?

AMD Problem Sean General 9 September 17th 03 01:20 AM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM
Startup/Shutdown Problem Girgath General 5 August 8th 03 05:45 AM
Still a problem! JOE BLOW General 2 July 16th 03 05:02 PM
Weird CD reading problem Devang Devani General 1 July 12th 03 03:09 AM