My comments on the SLK 800 + smart fan 2

Old September 7th 03, 07:54 PM
Brian

Default My comments on the SLK 800 + smart fan 2

I installed my SLK-800a and Smart Fan 2 earlier this week. Prior to this, I
ran my 2100XP tbred B @ 2.2ghz with an old OCZ gladiator and some 60mm fan.
It cooled at real high 50's, low 60's at load. Low-mid 50 idle. While moving
in my dorm the fan siezed up! Thus the replacements.

I was quite impressed that the SLK 800 came "pre lapped" with a nice
finished base, and a sticker protecting that finish until installation. I
was expecting it to be a bit bigger overall based upon what i've read but
the size is pretty decent. I got a retail box (bought from newegg), but I
did not get any instructions in it. It took me 5-10 minutes to figure out
how to use the fan holder clips and what holes they go in to on the sink (4
different clips provided and 4 different holes). I got it worked out though,
and it holds real nice, ALOT better than conventional heatsinks where fans
screw in! I like the design on this.

The smart fan 2 is pretty nice. I opted to use the manual speed control
versus the automatic temp sensing control. To use temp sensing you tape
(with thermal tape provided) the sensor on the underside right below the cpu
core. But I use the manual control and it's very cool. At slowest its not
audible, and at max it's still bearable. This fan is quite nice with nice
specs. I am pleased.

Over all, this new setup rocks! I'm running my 2100 tbred B at 2.3ghz
currently (13x176 - 1.75v) with the fan running around 4000rpm, my cpu is
idling at 43* and at load around 46*. These temps are MUCH better than with
my older setup! I paid about $62shipped for the slk 800 and smart fan 2 from
newegg and had it in 3 days. This is, to me, the perfect setup. It works
awesome and I would reccomend it to anyone!

brian

Old September 7th 03, 08:08 PM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I'm glad you accepted my recommendation.

I have read that others were upset that the SLK didn't come with
instructions. I guess they figure it's so simple that they aren't required.
I guess they are wrong.

A very nice and useful report; thanks.

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

brian

Old September 7th 03, 09:53 PM
Chris

"Brian" wrote in message
I installed my SLK-800a and Smart Fan 2 earlier this week. Prior to this,

ran my 2100XP tbred B @ 2.2ghz with an old OCZ gladiator and some 60mm

fan.
It cooled at real high 50's, low 60's at load. Low-mid 50 idle. While

moving
in my dorm the fan siezed up!

Huge Snip!

Over all, this new setup rocks! I'm running my 2100 tbred B at 2.3ghz
currently (13x176 - 1.75v) with the fan running around 4000rpm, my cpu is
idling at 43* and at load around 46*. These temps are MUCH better than

with
my older setup! I paid about $62shipped for the slk 800 and smart fan 2

from
newegg and had it in 3 days. This is, to me, the perfect setup. It works
awesome and I would reccomend it to anyone!

brian

I got the SLK800 too as I wanted to get the best for my money without going
to H2O

XP2400+ @ 12.5 x 177 (2122MHz), Currently at 34.5C, goes upto 38 on a warm
day under load.

Always running a seti unit in background. I think the motherboard is
limiting a stable high fsb (Abit KD7), though working on it ;-)

I dont think I'll need to buy another HS again, the slk8 is top quality. I
will migrate it over to my new sys - NF7-S + [333]XP2600+

chris

Old September 7th 03, 10:32 PM
LBJGH

I'm another happy user of the SLK800a. I recommend it highly to anyone who
wants to o/c without the aggravation of a loud fan. I've had my slk since
my AYHJA 1GHz t-bird @ 1539mhz. I've used it on every cpu since with
excellent results... 1600+ @ 1833, 1700+ @2.2ghz, 2500+ @2305 and my current
1700+ @ 2515mhz!

I find that the socket clip is very easy to remove and replace during
heatsink removal

Unlike you Brian I'd prefer using screws to mount the fan but I guess the
SLK is flexible allowing for 60/70/80mm fans without modification.