XP2600 running at 1262?

Old July 24th 03, 03:20 PM
John Constable

Default XP2600 running at 1262?

I've run some diagnostic utilities and they report my CPU (2600
thoroughbred) to be running at 1262. My bios says (my FSB?) speed is 100. I
tried to change it to 166 and it failed to boot (rebooted on its own with
setting changed back to 100)

My questions:

1) can some recommend a good diagnostic utility that will tell me CPU info
(type, clock speed etc) memory info (type, speeds etc) and all my bus
speeds.

2) What the heck is going on and can I get my speeds up to where they should
be?

system:
XP2600+ Thororoughbred
GA-7VAXP Ultra
1.5 gig ram (can't remember what tpye but I think its generic P2700 which
is why I need a good diagnostic utility!)
Nvidia (Palit Daytona) geforce FX5600 128
W2Kpro

tia

Old July 24th 03, 05:40 PM
Chris

"John Constable" wrote in message
More info:

Fresh daignose tells me:

Under 'Processor Info from BIOS':
current voltage - 1.7v
external clock - 100MHz
maximum speed - 2800MHz
current speed - 1250 MHz

and under 'processor info':
Freq - 1262MHz

XP2600+ Thororoughbred
GA-7VAXP Ultra
1.5 gig ram (can't remember what tpye but I think its generic P2700

which
is why I need a good diagnostic utility!)
Nvidia (Palit Daytona) geforce FX5600 128
W2Kpro

Try putting the fsb to 133, as you may have the 266mhz fsb model XP2600.
This would also put it in sync with your ram too.

The 266 model may be able to run at 333, but certainly not with the default
multiplier!

regards

chris

Old July 24th 03, 09:00 PM
LeeB18509

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002.../download.html

Old July 24th 03, 11:03 PM
John Constable

Thanks for the replies everyone - some things for me to try there.

I tried WCPUID but when I tried to run the exe I had an error (on both my
machines).

I tried MEMTEST86. It ran fine and for the first 45 mins or so the tests
were all clean but as it dug a bit deeper it started to report failures that
unfortunately I couldn't understand!

Sandra sounds worth a go and I'll delve back inside the machine to check the
dip switch although I'm sure I set it correctly (I think this board allows
you to leave it on auto). I won't be looking at the chip, though. Not after
the fight I had to get the heatsink on without damaging anything!

news

Old July 24th 03, 11:15 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:20:18 +0100, John Constable wrote:

[...]

Did you also change the PCI divider when you upped the FSB to 166? It
should be set to 5:2:1. You might want to try 133MHz FSB to see if it
works. Divider for it should be 4:2:1.

Old July 26th 03, 08:28 PM
Mark

Hi,
I had the same problem with my 2600 xp and gigabyte mobo.
When I read back through the manual I :-
Took CPU back off mobo, set Auto switch to on then auto, put all back
together again and Hey Presto!!!!

Sometimes things happen, but WHY????

Hope this helps.

Mark