DVD playback

Old June 28th 03, 01:00 AM
Nathan

Default DVD playback

Why wont DVD's play back any more?

I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....

Windows XP
GFX5800
44.03

Old June 28th 03, 02:09 AM
Jeremy Dimmick

"Nathan" wrote in message
Why wont DVD's play back any more?

I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....

Windows XP
GFX5800
44.03

Sounds like it good be that Macrovision issue with drivers after
40.72 (search the groups.google.com archive for lots of discussion
of this in this ng). I've also found that with certain 40.xx
drivers I can only play DVDs with PowerDVD if I turn off hardware
acceleration in the program's options. Others here have suggested
keeping PowerDVD installed so you have the relevant codecs, but
using Windows Media Player instead.

jd

Old June 28th 03, 12:50 PM
Stephen Smith

"Jeremy Dimmick" wrote in message

"Nathan" wrote in message
Why wont DVD's play back any more?

I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....

Windows XP
GFX5800
44.03

Sounds like it good be that Macrovision issue with drivers after
40.72 (search the groups.google.com archive for lots of discussion
of this in this ng).

I suffered this problem the other day (with 44.03 drivers) and I went back
to using 41.09. My DVDs work fine using 41.09......? (using Hercules 3D
Prophet III GeForce 3)

I've also found that with certain 40.xx
drivers I can only play DVDs with PowerDVD if I turn off hardware
acceleration in the program's options.

Same here too using PowerDVD 3. (was bundled with my video card)

I downloaded an update for PowerDVD 3 which fixes a few bugs, but most
importantly allows hardware acceleration to be enabled.

If you use PowerDVD 3, I'd recommend you grab the update.

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/d...me=PowerDVD&Pr
odId=28

(sorry, I know that URL is going to word-wrap)

Rgds,

Stephen.

Old June 28th 03, 07:06 AM
Dave

Try placing the display in clone mode and seeing what happens. H/W accel
still won't work, but you should still get a picture...other than this, it's
back to the 40.72's...

"Nathan" wrote in message
Why wont DVD's play back any more?

Because Nvidia is starting to royally suck medicine balls thru a capillary?

Old June 28th 03, 04:45 AM
J.Clarke

Email your news provider and ask if they accept cancels from nvidia.
I believe that you will find that they do not. Most accept cancels
only from the original poster or in some cases from well-established
spam-cancelling agents.

In general it is very difficult to "censor" USENET.

"Nathan" wrote in message
Why wont DVD's play back any more?

Because Nvidia is starting to royally suck medicine balls thru a
capillary?

I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....

Windows XP
GFX5800
44.03

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old June 28th 03, 06:34 PM
Heh?

Nathan wrote:
Why wont DVD's play back any more?

I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....

Windows XP
GFX5800
44.03

Uninstall all video drivers down to VGA basic. Uninstall your DVD
software. Run scandisk/defrag. Reinstall video driver of choice.
reinstall dvd software.

This worked for me when I installed the 4x.xx's and PDVD stopepd working
on me. Noticeably NvDVD player DID work, though... but that's just my
cynical side.

Old July 6th 03, 06:33 AM
Robert

I had the same problem with WinDVD. Open the APP, then start the disk
manually. It's one way to tell. I've discovered bad drives thais way.

(120/124 BSCS) ASEET MCP A+

"Nathan" wrote in message
Why wont DVD's play back any more?

I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....

Windows XP
GFX5800
44.03

ATI video playback defective--Suggestions?? Jack Ati Videocards 8 January 16th 05 05:02 PM
Low quality playback on comp monitor using Matrox RT.X10 and Prem Pro Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) Matrox Videocards 2 August 14th 04 02:48 PM
Help! DVD playback at 1080i with ATI Radeon 7200? Isaac Kuo Ati Videocards 14 December 11th 03 04:30 PM
Jerky PLayback Randall Ati Videocards 0 July 21st 03 08:14 PM
Stuttering DVD playback with sound problems 9700 to blame? Usenetter Ati Videocards 7 June 27th 03 08:52 PM