Memory for an Amptron motherboard

Old January 7th 04, 12:18 PM
Wooding

Default Memory for an Amptron motherboard

A friend of a friend has an elderly computer (P133 with 16MB FPM
memory) that needs more memory. It was assembled by a company that no
longer exists, and he has no documentation. I ran AIDA32 on it and it
reported an AMPTRON PM-8800A motherboard with an Intel i430VX chipset,
3 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 DIMM and 4 SIMM slots. 2 of the SIMMs are populated
with 8MB FPM SIMMs. The only reference I could find to the 8800A was
that it was a sub division of the 8800, which apparently will accept a
total of 128MB - so it would seem that the best option would be to
ditch the SIMMs and install a 128MB SDRAM DIMM (there is aparently a
jumper to set either 3.3v or 5v DIMM memory).
I contacted Crucial because this motherboard doesn't exist on their
website, and they said that only SIMMs can be inserted. I emailed
Amptron, asked about the DIMM slot, and got the following reply...

"Actually you could only add 64MB in each slot with the 8800 and 8800A
the only m/b you could add the 128MB would be the 8800C".

I've looked at the motherboard and there is definately a DIMM slot and
4 SIMM slots with 2 populated. So... does anyone know for sure if
this motherboard will accept the 128MB SDRAM?
--
Regards, Gary Wooding

(Change feet to foot to reply)

Old January 7th 04, 04:05 PM
JT

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:18:39 -0000, "Wooding" wrote:

[...]

Limitations of the VX chipset make any memory above 64mb problematic. The
chipset will only cache up to 64mb of ram, and in systems where I have seen
more used with this chipset, performance was hurt a bit, and stability
suffered greatly. This chipset would also not support very high density
ram, and it probably wouldn't see all of a 128mb DIMM anyway. If you can
find a 64mb SDRAM, that is probably the best choice for this system. The
operating systems that will run on that old a system will be happy with
64mb.

JT
Old January 7th 04, 10:44 PM
steven67@

Wooding wrote:

[...]

..

The 430VX chipset supports memory chip densities up to 16Mbit. Because of
this, the largest SDRAM DIMM supported would be a 32MB DIMM with sixteen
2Mx8(16Mbit) chips. A 64MB EDO DIMM with thirty-two 4Mx4(16Mbit) chips
may be compatible.

Four 32MB(sixteen 4Mx4 chips on each), EDO or FP SIMMs could be used, for
a total of 128MB. The SIMMs must be installed in matching pairs. Two
matching 32MB EDO or FP SIMMs could be used with the currently installed
SIMMs, for a total of 80MB.

Old January 7th 04, 11:22 PM
Shep©

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:18:39 -0000 Sat down laughing as it's habit to
keep on crying then "Wooding" wrote :

[...]

Try the,"Crucial" ram finder,
http://www.crucial.com/
and you may have better luck and cheaper at a local computer market to
get some cheap
http://www.computerfairs.co.uk/
or ask around,

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old January 8th 04, 03:32 AM
Chaos Master

Wooding said those words of wisdom from the arcane mages in alt.comp.hardwa
[...]

Technically, according to the manual for my PM-7900 (similar) it supports, but
this Intel i430VX chipset has problems with 64MB ram. In practice you can add
64MB EDO DIMM memory - enough to keep Win98 or Linux happy. Entering "Amptron PM-
8800" into Google may give a manual.

--
Chaos® - posting from Brazil
Please ask for e-mail address.
Old January 10th 04, 01:13 PM
Wooding

Thanks for the advice from those who responded. I have ditched the DIMM
solution and ordered a couple of 32MB SIMMs. I just hope the performance
improvement willmett expectations.

--
Regards, Gary Wooding

(Change feet to foot to reply)

RAM-PC100 vs PC133 stromer General 5 December 10th 03 01:59 AM
how to test a motherboard / memory slots Tanya General 4 November 21st 03 04:46 PM
I need to replace a bad Asus A7V motherboard David Cook General 1 October 31st 03 02:40 AM
Chaintech 7NIF2 motherboard - memory problems Wuahn General 1 July 26th 03 01:29 PM
will this memory fit into a KT400 mobo? fred.do General 3 June 24th 03 02:44 PM