AMD k6-III on Pcchips m560 v4.1

Old March 8th 04, 11:55 AM
Alice in Chains

Default AMD k6-III on Pcchips m560 v4.1

LS,

I put a K6-III 400 MHz 2,4 volt on a Pcchips m560 v4.1. Lowest voltage this
board supplies = 2,5 volt, slightly too much, but not a real problem I
guess. Its properly cooled for sure. Got 128 MB pc100 SDRAM plugged in.

Settings jumpered to 6x66, so no overclock for now. Will try a higher FSB
later.

I flashed it with latest bios to recognize the K6.

The system posts and identifies the processor as K6-300 @ 333 MHz. It let me
boot from floppy and memtest86 reports K6-III @ 399 MHz. Its running for
over an hour, no problems at all.

So far so good, but it seems unstable when I try to install win98 from
bootable CD. It crashes/hangs right after the checkdisk when it start
copying the installation files to harddisk.

Tried 2 different CDROM players, but same behaviour.

Tried a WIN XP installation, but that hung also.

I found a few successfull stories about this mobo/cpu combination on the net
so I wonder what the problem is.

Any suggestions about this setup?

Thanks a lot,

Mike.

Old March 8th 04, 04:25 PM
dingohangdawg

I had a m571 that was very picky on memory type used.
try to copy the entire windows98 files to the HD and install from there

Old March 8th 04, 04:59 PM
Alice in Chains

Dylan Christopherson wrote:
Are you sure that the memory is OK?

I guess so. I got this pc with win95 installed, and that ran fine @ P166MMX.
I changed the processor to this K6-III, and then I got a protection error
when win95 starts. I thought that was normal, since old win95 had a known
timing bug with fast processors. Instead of applying the win95 patch I just
erased the HD and tried to install win98.

And thats where I still am :-)

Strange is that memtest86 checks out fine.

Could it be the power the K6-III draws from the voltage regulators under
full load?

Maybe some particular BIOS settings needed?

Thanks,

Mike.

Old March 9th 04, 07:40 PM
FSAA

I kinda remember that to support the K6-III your voltage regulators need to
support above 12A load

Also have you check the CPU temp? may be it was getting to hot, the K6-III
can't use the old Pentium HS, it needs to be something larger

Old March 10th 04, 12:17 PM
Alice in Chains

FSAA wrote:
I kinda remember that to support the K6-III your voltage regulators
need to support above 12A load

Also have you check the CPU temp? may be it was getting to hot, the
K6-III can't use the old Pentium HS, it needs to be something larger

Yup, it's properly cooled for sure. I got it running @ 4,5x75 = 337 MHz now.
Anything higher makes it somewhat unstable.

I guess its the voltage regulators.

Thanks all folks!

Mike.