Via and Promise SATA connections

Old February 27th 06, 09:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Via and Promise SATA connections

Hello, All!

All of my IDE connections are populated and I have a couple of SATA drives
set up as RAID0 on the Via onboard controller. I am looking at getting
another SATA drive. Is it possible with my current arrangement to at this
3rd drive to the Promise onboard controller. I just want another drive, not
a RAID setup for this drive.

Thanks,
Colonel Blip.
E-mail:

Old February 28th 06, 03:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

What's your mainboard?

Haven't done it myself, but I'm pretty sure that there's no trouble using
the Promise controller in normal mode (not RAID).

You will have to install the Promise drivers, even though you won't be using
RAID.

"Colonel Blip" wrote in message
Hello, All!

All of my IDE connections are populated and I have a couple of SATA drives
set up as RAID0 on the Via onboard controller. I am looking at getting
another SATA drive. Is it possible with my current arrangement to at this
3rd drive to the Promise onboard controller. I just want another drive,
not a RAID setup for this drive.

Thanks,
Colonel Blip.
E-mail:

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old February 28th 06, 01:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Hello, Bob!
You wrote on Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:59:04 -0500:

Whoops - I'm using the A8V Deluxe board.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail:

BK What's your mainboard?

BK Haven't done it myself, but I'm pretty sure that there's no trouble
BK using the Promise controller in normal mode (not RAID).

BK You will have to install the Promise drivers, even though you won't be
BK using RAID.

BK Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

BK "Colonel Blip" wrote in
BK message ...
?? Hello, All!

Old February 28th 06, 11:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

I'm embarrassed to say that I have an A8V Deluxe, but I never used the
Promise 378 controller. (I had two SAT drives on the Via controller, in RAID
0. I'm using the same drives, but not in RAID, on my newer A8N-SLI.)

I believe that you can simply install the Promise drivers. If you don't use
the RAID configuration utility, the drive will function as a normal single
drive.

There are a couple of guides for the 378 on the CD that came with the A8V
Deluxe, but they don't supply much information that isn't generic for a RAID
setup. They seem to assume that as the controller has RAID capabilities,
everyone would wish to use them.

"Colonel Blip" wrote in message
Hello, Bob!
You wrote on Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:59:04 -0500:

Whoops - I'm using the A8V Deluxe board.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail:

(snip)

Old March 1st 06, 01:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Hello, Bob!
You wrote on Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:05:17 -0500:

Thanks. My experience when I first got this board was to install my RAID0
setup on the 378 controller but I had all kinds of problems (details fuzzy
now) so I tried the Via and have been there ever sense. I guess I will find
out when I buy the drive and install it as to whether the 378 non-RAID and
VIA RAID0 drives can coexist.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail:

BK I'm embarrassed to say that I have an A8V Deluxe, but I never used the
BK Promise 378 controller. (I had two SAT drives on the Via controller, in
BK RAID 0. I'm using the same drives, but not in RAID, on my newer
BK A8N-SLI.)

BK I believe that you can simply install the Promise drivers. If you don't
BK use the RAID configuration utility, the drive will function as a normal
BK single drive.

BK There are a couple of guides for the 378 on the CD that came with the
BK A8V Deluxe, but they don't supply much information that isn't generic
BK for a RAID setup. They seem to assume that as the controller has RAID
BK capabilities, everyone would wish to use them.

BK "Colonel Blip" wrote in
BK message ...
?? Hello, Bob!
BK (snip)