DVI to Component adaptor advice need for a Media Centre PC.

Old June 8th 05, 03:26 PM
Jill haoulder

Default DVI to Component adaptor advice need for a Media Centre PC.

DVI to Component adaptor advice need for a Media Centre PC.

Ive got a Nvidia 6600 Gt Video card. And i want to connect it to my TV
but the Tv only has componate connections no DVI.

Anyway if i connect it like this would i get the same picture as if i
connected it via DVI or HDMI or atleast alot better than Svideo and
Rcas ??

And if i had some of those MicroSoft HD 720p and 1080i Trailers and
stuff would they be in realy HD on my TV ???

/ps my Tv is fully 720p and 1080i compatible.

Not sure if that would work. I was sure you neded DVi or HDMI to get
true HD from a Disc or fromy oru Media PC harddisc ???

Thanks for any help.

Old June 8th 05, 09:15 PM
Fen

what is componate...never heard that b4? I have my computer connect to my
27" tv and it's much better than watching them on the computer monitor but i
don't know what componate is?

Old June 8th 05, 10:33 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

The 6600 GT should have a 9 pin mini-DIN plug on it. If it has, it will
definitely support HDTV out over component with a suitable adapter. I have
an XFX 6600 GT which didn't come with the adapter, but I contacted their RMA
department and they sent me a suitable adapter.

I spent many many long nights googling for the adapter with no luck. Nobody
sold them. XFX's tech support initally said third parties sell it and after
not finding it on da web, I tried an ATi 9 pin adapter. Unfortunately, the
ATi cable wires the blue wire with a different pin so you effectively get an
image without any blue.

I tried XFX's tech support again and this time they told me I could get one
from their RMA department. When they found out I was in the UK it took their
UK tech support a very long time to send one out, but they did.

I haven't looked on the web recently but they maybe available somewhere now.
There're various types, some offering just component out, S-Video and
component, S-Video, composite and component and some also offer S-Video and
composite in as well ( though the inputs will be ignored unless yer card
actually supports video in ). And they all use the same plug. However, all
the nVidia 9 pin ones are interchangeable as far as I can tell. In fact the
cable I'm using is a 9 pin XFX FX5900 Personal Cinema HDTV out dongle, which
also supports. I can give you the wiring for the 9 pin mini-DIN if yer
interested in making yer own cable. I don't actually know how to solder
which is why I didn't just build one.

Old June 8th 05, 10:43 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

You'll get significanlty better colours and resolution on screen with
component. There won't be any exaggerated redness in the image. The text
however may look worse, as standard video inputs cause the text to be
blurred creating an anti-aliasing effect. With the component output, even in
SDTV modes the image quality, level of detail and colour separation is
really excellent.

S-Video and composite only offer resolutions of 720x480 for NTSC and 720x576
for PAL/SECAM. In HDTV modes, the display will usually offer resoltuons of
1280x720 ( for 720p) and 1920x1080 ( in 1080i ). This means that the display
will probably have this many vertical lines when connected using component.
If you use composite or S-Video, the signal doesn't support such high
resolutions, and the image is actually at the SDTV resolutions. As I said,
even at SDTV resolutions, the image will be sharper and the colours more
realisitc, on the same TV through component

I haven't actually used HDTV over DVI, but I doubt the difference between
HDTV over DVI and HDTV over component will be as great as component over
S-Video.

The adapter yer looking for is something like this:

http://www.answers.com/main/content/...E/_VIDPORT.JPG

Old June 9th 05, 04:34 AM
Jill haoulder

Well my TV s jst on the onther side of the wall So iwant to know if
i can do it beforei get a guy in to drill a hole int he wall for the
cables the long way round is not an option

Thanks.

/ps My Card is from Leadtec ill give them an email and see if they can
give me an adaptor !!!! iam in Australia.

Thanks.

/Most Pcs shoudl have a Monitor plug right atleast the high end Hidef
86cm Crts right Toshibia ??

And if so shoudl i get 1080i from that ??

Thanks.

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:43:02 GMT, "Sharanga Dayananda"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old June 10th 05, 02:21 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

Hi

Well my TV s jst on the onther side of the wall So iwant to know if
i can do it beforei get a guy in to drill a hole int he wall for the
cables the long way round is not an option

I'd wait for the adapter to arrive from the Leadtek's RMA and then you could
move the PC to the other room to test it before you drill through the wall.

If yer in Queensland, there's a place which sells the GF 6 HDTV cables:
http://www.dncs.com.au/hardware_and_software.htm

and they list the part is the " GF 6 Series HDTV cable" on this page:

http://www.dncs.com.au/Graphics_Cards.htm

I dunno if you live nearby or anything, but they have the cable if you need
it in a hurry for AU$11. However, if RMA send it to you, 'twill be fore
free hopefully.

Their contact details a

MAIL : 5 ALCESTER STREET, GRANGE QLD 4051
PHONE : 07 3352 5252
FAX : 07 3352 5076
EMAIL :

The GF6's TV output modes will list 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p and 1080i in
addition to PAL and so on and it should just work fine. However, games do
have problems if you use 480i/p or 576i/p as 640x480 will be underscanned
( zoomed in ) at these resolutions. Check out the Forceware Driver
documentation at:

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/7...sers_Guide.pdf

This shoud list all the TV out options.

wrote:

[...]