New ATI Drivers won't install on WXPsp2 PC

Old January 8th 05, 10:40 PM
cil

Default New ATI Drivers won't install on WXPsp2 PC

Swapped out my old GeForce MMX440 with a new Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT, powered
on PC, new card was detected by XP, XP loaded default MS Radeon drivers. So
far, so good but when I tried to install ATI's Catalyst 4.12 driver, the
installation just stops, no error message, nada. . .
I got the card new off ebay, bulk card pack only, no install cd's. ATI's
website said MS .net required so I installed that first. . .
Any ideas on where to go from here??
tia. . .
cil

PC specs:
mb: Gigabyte GA-7VAX
cpu: Athlon XP 2800+
ram: 768mb
video: Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT GV-R96X128D
os: WXP sp2

Old January 9th 05, 02:46 AM
SteveK

"cil" wrote in message

Swapped out my old GeForce MMX440 with a new Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT,
powered on PC, new card was detected by XP, XP loaded default MS Radeon
drivers. So far, so good but when I tried to install ATI's Catalyst 4.12
driver, the installation just stops, no error message, nada. . .
I got the card new off ebay, bulk card pack only, no install cd's. ATI's
website said MS .net required so I installed that first. . .
Any ideas on where to go from here??
tia. . .
cil

PC specs:
mb: Gigabyte GA-7VAX
cpu: Athlon XP 2800+
ram: 768mb
video: Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT GV-R96X128D
os: WXP sp2

Try a repair install from CD first..

Old January 9th 05, 05:37 AM
Noozer

"cil" wrote in message
Swapped out my old GeForce MMX440 with a new Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT,

powered
on PC, new card was detected by XP, XP loaded default MS Radeon drivers.

So
far, so good but when I tried to install ATI's Catalyst 4.12 driver, the
installation just stops, no error message, nada. . .
I got the card new off ebay, bulk card pack only, no install cd's. ATI's
website said MS .net required so I installed that first. . .

Two mistakes here...

1) Bought from eBay. Not necessarily bad, but not good when you have
problems. Hope you got a *GOOD* deal on it.

2) Did you clear out the old NVidia drivers first?

Old January 9th 05, 07:20 AM
elvis

I agree with Noozer: clean out the video files first, whatever they
are, Nvidia, ATI, Matrox. Look in the easy spot first: control
panel/add or remove programs. I would also try the ATI driver withOUT
..net AFTER you get rid of .net itself.

its old but detonator destroyer make work getting rid of the Nvidia
drivers:
http://www.guru3d.com/detonator-destroyer/

you can also try getting rid of the ati drivers as well:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/cat-uninstaller.exe, found in the ATI tools
area he
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/m...lystutils.html

..e

Old January 9th 05, 10:43 AM
Sleepy

"cil" wrote in message
Swapped out my old GeForce MMX440 with a new Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT,
powered on PC, new card was detected by XP, XP loaded default MS Radeon
drivers. So far, so good but when I tried to install ATI's Catalyst 4.12
driver, the installation just stops, no error message, nada. . .
I got the card new off ebay, bulk card pack only, no install cd's. ATI's
website said MS .net required so I installed that first. . .
Any ideas on where to go from here??
tia. . .
cil

PC specs:
mb: Gigabyte GA-7VAX
cpu: Athlon XP 2800+
ram: 768mb
video: Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT GV-R96X128D
os: WXP sp2

..NET is only needed for the new and horribly bloated Control Centre
which you do NOT need and IMO do not want.
Reinstall the drivers and basic control panel but not CCC - see how you go.

Old January 9th 05, 02:06 PM
HockeyTownUSA

"Sleepy" wrote in message
k...

"cil" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah. Get the Omega drivers at www.omegadrivers.net and their control center
does the same as the ATI ones, except without the need for .NET and consumes
zero system resources, unlike ATI's Control Centre.

Old January 9th 05, 08:59 PM
Ben Pope

cil wrote:
Swapped out my old GeForce MMX440 with a new Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT,
powered on PC, new card was detected by XP, XP loaded default MS
Radeon drivers. So far, so good but when I tried to install ATI's
Catalyst 4.12 driver, the installation just stops, no error message,
nada. . . I got the card new off ebay, bulk card pack only, no install
cd's.
ATI's website said MS .net required so I installed that first. . .
Any ideas on where to go from here??

Don't use the CCC drive, just use the one with the "old" control panel -
it's faster, smaller and much less hassle.

Ben

Old January 16th 05, 12:00 PM
cil

thx to all posters!

After trying all of the above suggestions, I finally ended up doing a clean
install and the card was detected correctly. . . cil

Old February 20th 05, 06:19 AM
some fatso

"HockeyTownUSA" wrote in message

"Sleepy" wrote in message
k...

"cil" wrote in message
[...]

"zero system resources"? wow. What's next, an invisible video card?

Old February 20th 05, 06:28 PM
Dave

Did you remove the Nvidea software first, or just swap out the cards. All
previous video drivers MUST be removed. Also disconnect the machine from any
internet access while upgrading, so that windows will use it's built in
driver. Only then try to load the ATI software and drivers.

--

"some fatso" wrote in message

"HockeyTownUSA" wrote in message

"Sleepy" wrote in message