P4: Hyper Threading not active?

Old May 21st 04, 04:44 PM
Bekin Rata

Default P4: Hyper Threading not active?

Hi folks,

I installed a new PC this week with following configuration:

- Asus deluxe p800 motherboard
- pentium4 3.0 GHZ, 800FSB, hyper threading
- ati radeon 9800 pro
- 1 gig ram
- 160 gig harddrive

I have completed the 3dmark 2003 with an overall score of 5750. Not to bad,
but still I expected to see more...

I remember from other pc's with p4 hyper threading, that in the "details" of
the 3dmark, where you get an overview of the system, 3dmark always
recognized 2 CPU's, instead of one, due to the hyper threading technology.
My 3dmark only sees one CPU and also tells me my p4 has an external clock of
200MHZ. Is the external clock the same as FSB? In that case, it is 600Mhz
short!

Any suggestions on what I should do? Hyper threading is definitly enabled
in the BIOS.

tnx!
Bekin

Old May 21st 04, 04:58 PM
Pen

The clock is 200 MHz, but quad pumped. i.e. 4
memory clocks per one cycle of the buss, thereby
800 equivalent.

"Bekin Rata" wrote
in message

Old May 21st 04, 05:02 PM
Bekin Rata

haaa, that sure explains a lot :-)
Thanx. But how about that hyper threading?
Can I test in some way if it is really used by the system?

Bekin

Old May 21st 04, 06:49 PM
Kierkecaat

Just to mention the obvious: you didn't specify OS. I believe XP is
the minimum required version of Windows to use hyperthreading.

KC

Old May 21st 04, 10:24 PM
Lynn McGuire

Just to mention the obvious: you didn't specify OS. I believe XP is
the minimum required version of Windows to use hyperthreading.

Nope. We have a Windows 2K PC that shows hyperthreading
in the CPU usage history on the Windows Task Manager (CTRL-
ALT-DEL).

Lynn

Old May 22nd 04, 12:10 AM
DaveW

If you read the report CAREFULLY, it says that the processor's EXTERNAL
CLOCK (also known as the system's FSB speed) is 200 MHz. That is correct.
The P4's INTERNAL clock speed is 800 MHz.

--
DaveW

Old May 22nd 04, 05:25 PM
Bekin Rata

And if you read my post CAREFULLY you will see that my system should have a
FSB of 800Mhz. The internal clock is the CPU speed, wich is 3.0 Ghz.

You yourself say that the internal clock is the same as the systems FSB.
Mine is, again, 800 Mhz, not 200!
So I'm guessing that it is NOT correct?
The 3dmark table:

Intel Pentium® 4 3.0 GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Family Pentium® 4
Internal Clock 3.0 GHz
Internal Clock Maximum 3.6 GHz
External Clock 200.0 MHz
Socket Designation CPU 1
Capabilities MMX, CMov, RDTSC, SSE, SSE2
Version Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Caches
Level 1 16 KB
Level 2 1 MB
Level 3 0 B

Now, would this be correct for an Hyper threading p4 CPU with a FSB of 800
Mhz?

tnx,
Bekin

Old May 22nd 04, 08:36 PM
pen

You need to reread the post by DaveW. He did NOT say the FSB
equals the internal clock. Give it up, your machine is fine.

Old May 22nd 04, 09:09 PM
kony

On Sat, 22 May 2004 16:25:59 GMT, "Bekin Rata"
wrote:

And if you read my post CAREFULLY you will see that my system should have a
FSB of 800Mhz. The internal clock is the CPU speed, wich is 3.0 Ghz.

You yourself say that the internal clock is the same as the systems FSB.
Mine is, again, 800 Mhz, not 200!
So I'm guessing that it is NOT correct?

200MHz is the FSB CLOCK RATE. 800MHz is a quad-pumped DATA RATE.

Clock rate X 4 = data rate
both are describing the same bus, the same CPU.
Old May 22nd 04, 09:23 PM
Bubba

Bekin Rata's log on stardate 21 svi 2004

I remember from other pc's with p4 hyper threading, that in the
"details" of the 3dmark, where you get an overview of the system,
3dmark always recognized 2 CPU's, instead of one, due to the hyper
threading technology. My 3dmark only sees one CPU and also tells me
my p4 has an external clock of 200MHZ. Is the external clock the
same as FSB? In that case, it is 600Mhz short!

3D Marks "details" are all but detailed. Run Aida or some simmilar
program.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Hyper threading is definitly
enabled in the BIOS.

Well, if you realy whant to finde out wether jou have HT activated, why
not run some tests. Photoshop/Lightwave is always good at those things...

--
If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do ?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in