Dual monitors on Radeon 7000 without spanning. Is it possible?

Old November 30th 04, 09:57 PM
Steve Stormont

Default Dual monitors on Radeon 7000 without spanning. Is it possible?

We are running Windows 2000 Professional on a number of machines and are
trying to get multiple monitor support working with a Radeon 7000 card.

We tried a 9800 (card has 1 x DVI and 1 x DB15) and a 9600 AIW and they
both worked fine. The Display Properties with either of those cards shows a
picture of two monitors with numbers on them and you can re-size the
monitors on that screen. When you click on "Advanced" and then click on
"Displays", each monitor lists either a 1 or 2 allowing you to set which
monitor is which.

With the 7000 (card has 2 x DB15 plugs) installed, the Display
Properties just says "(Multiple Monitors) on RADEON 7000 SERIES". If you
then click on "Advanced" and go to "Displays", you can only pick "Clone" or
"Span across" or "Span vertical").

Is this a limitation of the 7000 card? Or just this model with 2 x DB15
plugs? Would a 7000 with a 1 x DVI and 1 x DB15 plug function the same way
as the 9800 and 9600 AIW cards we tried?

Steve

Old November 30th 04, 10:22 PM
Geoff

Steve Stormont wrote:
[...]

you installed the latest ati drivers ?

Old December 1st 04, 12:21 AM
SL

If I remember correctly, the Radeon VE is the same as the Radeon 7000. At
least all drivers Ive ever had treat them the same.

Anyways, if they are, it can be a trick of the right settings. I found that
the only way to get what you wanted is to bring up the video properties
windows. I usually right click on the desktop and hit properties. I go to
the menu where you can see the monitors hooked up. There is usually 4
square boxes with different monitors in them. TV/Monitor/DVI etc..

I then look at each box. Within each box is two smaller boxes (blue if I
remember right). One gives you a mirror image of the "primary" monitor, the
second expands the "primary" to the second screen. Essentially leaving your
first monitor the way you are familiar. The second usually looks blank as
there is no icons on it. At that point, I can drag my cursor from the far
left on my primary all the way across to the right. At that point it simply
starts right on over to the second monitor. To test, I often drag
something over (usually an insignifigant icon) and place it on the second
desktop. Then I know it worked.

A big thing to note, is to restart before every change I made. And also
have whatever reciever/monitor turned on prior to the change. Im not sure,
but I believe they "detect" a signal presence to some degree. It would make
sense to some degree.

I have done it several times in the past. It was very similar with my
9500pro and 9800pro. I loved that VE, even though its not on the edge
anymore for 3D.

SL
"Steve Stormont" wrote in message
Yes, 4.11s

Old December 1st 04, 05:47 AM
Stephen Stormont

With the 4.11 drivers installed, I have the 7000 card installed. The
"Display" tab under "Advanced Properties" shows two monitors and TV Out.
Under each monitor are the four icons (primary, clone, span vertical,
span horizontal). If I then remove the 7000 and install either the 9600
or the 9800, I instead see two icons under each monitor (1 and 2) to set
which monitor is which. Same driver, different card.

The main problem with the implementation on the 7000 is this:

With the "Horizontal spanning" option selected, the taskbar extends the
whole length of both monitors with the clock at the far right of the
second monitor. If you maximize an application, it maximizes across
both monitors. With the 9600 and 9800, the taskbar is contained to 1
monitor and when you maximize an application, it will only maximize to
the size of the monitor on which the application is displayed.

Steve