New system won't boot windows.

Old April 30th 04, 05:37 PM
Adelphia

Default New system won't boot windows.

I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows xp had
always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the scenario:

(sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)

I unhooked everything from my old computer, removed the board from the
chassis, put the new board in, new memory, new processor, heating system,
etc, reattached the cables in the same order (primary master, slave,
secondary slave, power to everything, few other things such as a cable going
from my front panel audigy to it's PCI card, etc), and loaded. Well, it did
load, first try. Came up, I immediately entered bios, checked the system
configuration, and it found everything it was supposed to find, it found all
of the IDE drive, identified the new memory, and the new ram. So I
continued on and let it attempt to boot windows. It passes the "verifying
DMI" stage, screen goes blank (usually this is when it loads the windows
splash screen, I'm pretty sure), and then the computer resets. I repeated
this procedure about 15 times to make sure it was reoccuring. I also
attempted to boot into the three versions of safemode, all of which amount
to the same effect as loading windows.. resetting.

Did switching motherboards on windows some how move windows entry point or
something similar? Anyone know a fix, besides running the "repair" on the
windows CD which re-installs windows (I know it leaves all of the data on
the disk and just rewrites files, and then reruns setup, but there are
multiple reasons I would rather not do that).

Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any help I
can get.

~Chris Martin

Old April 30th 04, 05:45 PM
Pen

Your problem revolves around the motherboard drivers for the
new board, which aren't there, while the old ones still are.
At this point you either do a repair or put the old board back in
and then delete all the the device drivers for the old mobo.

Old April 30th 04, 06:55 PM
The Prophecy

Adelphia wrote:
[...]

Why don't you want to run a repair? That's the easiest way of fixing this.

Old April 30th 04, 11:11 PM
DaveW

If you change the motherboard in a Windows XP system then you MUST reformat
the harddrive and do a fresh install of XP, otherwise you get ongoing nasty
Registry errors as you have found out.

--
DaveW

Old May 1st 04, 02:25 AM
Patrick

Adelphia wrote:
I recently purchaced a new motherboard, memory and processor. I have
replaced these things in other computers of mine before and windows xp had
always just accepted it and kept on moving. So this is the scenario:

(sorry, it is a bit long, I want to be thorough)

snipped - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -
Thanks for reading, I know it was a long post, looking forward to any help I
can get.

~Chris Martin

Now would be a GREAT time to try a LiveCD of Knoppix, that boots from
the CD, runs in RAM! See if it can find all your new resources!
It also will confirm that your new system is AOK! (I will be checking
back, to see if you encountered any error messages).

http://knopper.net/knoppix

Old May 1st 04, 06:53 AM
Adelphia

"The Prophecy" wrote in message
Adelphia wrote:
[...]

Two main reasons - I no longer have my windows key, and I have absolutely no
idea what my admin password was.. it requires it to do the "repair".

Old May 1st 04, 06:55 AM
Adelphia

"Larry Fine" wrote in message

"Adelphia" wrote in message
[...]

Having problems with a boot disk. I used another computer to make a boot
disk.. it was a windows xp home computer, but the OS on the computer I'm
trying to boot is a windows xp pro.. would the boot disk be a problem? The
computer won't boot fromt he disk, it just gives an invalid disk error when
it attempts to read it. Ideas?

~Chris

Old May 1st 04, 08:40 AM
Bioboffin

Adelphia wrote:

Why don't you want to run a repair? That's the easiest way of fixing
this.

Two main reasons - I no longer have my windows key, and I have
absolutely no idea what my admin password was.. it requires it to do
the "repair".

Download keyfinder from:

it will tell you your windows key.

Take care,

John.

Old May 1st 04, 08:46 AM
Bioboffin

Bioboffin wrote:

Two main reasons - I no longer have my windows key, and I have
absolutely no idea what my admin password was.. it requires it to do
the "repair".

Download keyfinder from:

it will tell you your windows key.

Sorry - on re-reading I see than you cannot boot into windows, which is, of
course necessary to use keyfinder.

John.

Convert Windows XP Dual Boot to Monoboot Richard Alexander General 11 May 4th 04 11:53 PM
New system won't boot Windows 2000. Please help. Kevin Lawton General 12 April 14th 04 02:35 AM
two hd's on same IDE channel Steve James General 25 March 13th 04 12:06 AM
dual boot system DJS0302 General 5 January 5th 04 02:01 PM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM