AA and AF:

Old November 22nd 03, 02:10 PM
Poochie

Default AA and AF:

Is it normal that enabling Antisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing in DX
games will result in absolutely no difference (tested using the snapshot
maker of 3dmark 2k3) and in OpenGl ones (tested 800x600 Worms 3D demo) those
work astonishingly well?

Poochie (Hercules Radeon 9600 Pro 128 MB)

Old November 22nd 03, 02:15 PM
Andrew

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:10:54 GMT, "Poochie"
wrote:

Is it normal that enabling Antisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing in DX
games will result in absolutely no difference (tested using the snapshot
maker of 3dmark 2k3) and in OpenGl ones (tested 800x600 Worms 3D demo) those
work astonishingly well?

No. Are you sure she screenshots you are taking are anti-aliased? A
lot of screenshot utilities just record the framebuffer, not what it
actually looks like on the screen.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old November 22nd 03, 02:22 PM
Poochie

wrote:

Is it normal that enabling Antisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing in DX
games will result in absolutely no difference (tested using the snapshot
maker of 3dmark 2k3) and in OpenGl ones (tested 800x600 Worms 3D demo)

those
work astonishingly well?

No. Are you sure she screenshots you are taking are anti-aliased? A
lot of screenshot utilities just record the framebuffer, not what it
actually looks like on the screen.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

They should be antialiased, but neither the image i see while the demo is
playing, nor the screenshot looks antialiased... enabling the option or not
will make no difference! (enev though I forced the setting ON)

Poochie

Old November 22nd 03, 02:56 PM
Glzmo

I have also noticed that Direct3D FSAA doesn't seem to work as well quality
wise as OpenGL FSAA on my Radeon 9700 Pro. What's up with that? It seems
it's a bit better with Catalyst 3.4 and earlier than later versions, but I'm
not sure.

.. .

Old November 22nd 03, 03:22 PM
rms

I have also noticed that Direct3D FSAA doesn't seem to work as well
quality
wise as OpenGL FSAA on my Radeon 9700 Pro. What's up with that?

I believe FSAA is being disabled in many titles in the newer drivers.
Specifically FSAA is disabled in Splinter Cell (and this has been confirmed
by an ATI tester), and I can't get it to work in Tron2.0 either. I don't
know what's going on (using Cat 3.9 + COD hotfix).

rms

Old November 22nd 03, 05:33 PM
Ben Pope

rms wrote:
Specifically FSAA is disabled in Splinter Cell (and this has been
confirmed by an ATI tester), and I can't get it to work in Tron2.0
either.

I think it works (the pixels are antialiased - can't really tell at
1600x1200 without looking very hard and I never did)... but lights tend to
shine through solid objects, which creates somewhat interesting lighting
effects.

Ben

Old November 23rd 03, 01:14 AM
rms

I think it works [Splinter Cell] (the pixels are antialiased - can't
really tell at
1600x1200 without looking very hard and I never did)... but lights tend to
shine through solid objects, which creates somewhat interesting lighting
effects.

No, its been disabled. I'm aware of the light through solid objects
effect, but haven't even been able to get even that with the newer drivers.
No biggie, but Tron2.0 should not be having these sorts of issues.

rms

Old November 23rd 03, 09:54 AM
Marko Svirčić

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:56:38 GMT, Glzmo wrote:

I have also noticed that Direct3D FSAA doesn't seem to work as well quality
wise as OpenGL FSAA on my Radeon 9700 Pro. What's up with that? It seems
it's a bit better with Catalyst 3.4 and earlier than later versions, but I'm
not sure.

Actually, I noticed that AA is a lot better in Cat 3.5 than in earlyer
versions.
Old November 25th 03, 07:16 AM
Glzmo

"Marko Svirčić" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:56:38 GMT, Glzmo wrote:

I have also noticed that Direct3D FSAA doesn't seem to work as well

quality
wise as OpenGL FSAA on my Radeon 9700 Pro. What's up with that? It seems
it's a bit better with Catalyst 3.4 and earlier than later versions, but

I'm
not sure.

Actually, I noticed that AA is a lot better in Cat 3.5 than in earlyer
versions.

Are you talking about OpenGL or Direct3D FSAA? It seems to me that FSAA in
Direct3D seems to not antialias distant thing as well as the not so distant
stuff with Catalyst 3.9, whereas in OpenGL it does.

Old November 25th 03, 10:16 PM
Marko Svirčić

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 06:16:42 GMT, Glzmo wrote:

Are you talking about OpenGL or Direct3D FSAA? It seems to me that FSAA in
Direct3D seems to not antialias distant thing as well as the not so distant
stuff with Catalyst 3.9, whereas in OpenGL it does.

Well, actually, you can't determine the diference between OGL and D3D AA,
because most games don't offer both modes of accleration. From what I have
seen i haven't seen any difference between OGL and D3D.

But if you say it's different, I beleve you. Could you please tell me a
couple of titles where you saw the difference.

Thanks.