problems with 1 year old AIW 7500

Old July 11th 03, 03:28 AM
Chimera

Default problems with 1 year old AIW 7500

Clem wrote:
I've recently begun to have problems with my AIW 7500. At first it
seemed that the driver disappeared from my system but since it was on an
old install of Win ME, I thought I'd reinstall ME and the drivers for
the 7500. The display is fine now but many applications that come with
the card are inaccessible.

get rid of ME, then maybe I can help you

Old July 11th 03, 08:15 AM
patrickp

"Clem" wrote in message
I've recently begun to have problems with my AIW 7500. At first it
seemed that the driver disappeared from my system but since it was on an
old install of Win ME, I thought I'd reinstall ME and the drivers for
the 7500. The display is fine now but many applications that come with
the card are inaccessible.

When windows boots, the launch pad starts but instead now a window pops
up that says

"AtiSServ failed to provide required interfaces"

And whenever I try to use an application related to my vid card a window
pops up that says:

"Fatal error: AtiSServ Registry access failed to start up"

I can't use MMC, I can't cap, I can't watch TV, DVDs etc... Nothing
works. Is my AIW 7500 defective? Or is this a software problem I can
fix?

TIA for any help.

When you said you'd "reinstall ME and the drivers for the 7500," do you just
mean reinstalling or formatting your HD and installing ME anew, Clem?

If you've just reinstalled ME you haven't cleared out the old ATi drivers
you had before. If you were upgrading (i.e. going to a later version of the
same drivers) you'd probably be Ok (although I always clean my system out
for any change of ATi drivers), but if you're reinstalling the same drivers
or installing sideways or backwards, you really need to have a good system
clean - registry and ATi files before you reinstall.

The basic process is: uninstall all old ATi software, finishing with the
display driver. When you reboot, Windows will install the standard Windows
drivers and ask you to look for the drivers for your card. Cancel out of
this.

Clear out your registry. See the appropriate thread in the Rage3D forum for
details, or dl RegCleaner from http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/index.php - that'll
get all the entries mentioned in Rage3D. Also delete any ATi stuff still
starting in the various Run folders in the registry. If you're not familiar
with registry editing, use a reliable editor like RegCleaner and leave the
stuff in the Run folders: it should be replaced with the new entries when
you reinstall. If not, disable them in msconfig _after_ you've reinstalled
everything. Reboot.

Clear out the ATi files: delete the big ATI folder on your C: drive and any
ATI folders in Program Files. Then go to your Windows folder, do a search
on ati*.* and delete everything you're not sure you need (e.g. screensavers
etc). Empty your Recycle Bin and reboot.

Your system should now be clean enough to prevent problems. I usually
reinstall DirectX before reinstalling but it's not mandatory. Make sure you
follow ATi's recommended order and procedures for installing.

HTH patrickp

Old July 11th 03, 09:19 PM
Clem

When you said you'd "reinstall ME and the drivers for the 7500," do you just
mean reinstalling or formatting your HD and installing ME anew, Clem?

I meant formatting my drive and reinstalling everything.

[...]

Where is this registry located? If it's on my C:drive, then it should be all
gone with the formatting I did.

BTW I have 3 units.

40 GB drive
C: 10 GB
D: 30 GB

20 GB drive
E: 20 GB

I only formatted the C: unit and reinstalled windows on that. Will that wipe out
everything, or are there some registry information left somewhere?

Old July 12th 03, 09:01 AM
patrickp

"Clem" wrote in message ...

[...]

If you reformatted your Windows drive and reinstalled ME, yes, your registry
should have been destroyed and recreated by the re-installation, Clem.

To access the registry, you just click Start Run type regedit in the
box and click Ok.

HOWEVER! - don't mess with your registry unless you know what you're doing.
You can royally screw up your machine that way. If you want to clear out
registry entries, use an app like RegCleaner, from
http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/index.php, which can do it safely for you. If you
want to stop programs starting at boot, untick them in msconfig - this time,
type msconfig in the box and go to the Startup tab.

patrickp

Old July 12th 03, 05:24 PM
Clem

If you reformatted your Windows drive and reinstalled ME, yes, your registry
should have been destroyed and recreated by the re-installation, Clem.

To access the registry, you just click Start Run type regedit in the
box and click Ok.

HOWEVER! - don't mess with your registry unless you know what you're doing.
You can royally screw up your machine that way. If you want to clear out
registry entries, use an app like RegCleaner, from
http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/index.php, which can do it safely for you. If you
want to stop programs starting at boot, untick them in msconfig - this time,
type msconfig in the box and go to the Startup tab.

patrickp

Ok thank you for the help.

DirectX Problems! Faustus Homebuilt PC's 4 December 24th 03 10:42 PM
Minolta 5400 problems Pygmi Scanners 6 December 4th 03 04:24 AM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking 333 November 27th 03 07:54 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking AMD Processors 326 November 27th 03 07:54 PM
ATI 7500 AIW capture problems J.R. Allas Ati Videocards 0 June 24th 03 06:27 AM