Dial up modem with P4C800 causes shutdown

Old February 3rd 04, 08:02 PM
daniel

Default Dial up modem with P4C800 causes shutdown

Hello everyone,

I have built a system using the P4C800 mainboard and p4 2.4c chip (note that
the system is not overclocked). None of the pci slots are used except a 56k
dialup modem. I can dial up and connect to the internet but after a few
sconds i get a message from windows xp (home edition) which causes the sytem
to shutdown. I removed the modem so that no pci were used and used an
external 56k via the serial port. I got the same message and the sytem shut
down. The reason why it shuts down is because of bad data. Apart from this
the sustem performs as expected.

The line works fine with my macintosh.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Any ideas?

Old February 3rd 04, 10:35 PM
Paul

In article , "daniel"
wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have built a system using the P4C800 mainboard and p4 2.4c chip (note that
the system is not overclocked). None of the pci slots are used except a 56k
dialup modem. I can dial up and connect to the internet but after a few
sconds i get a message from windows xp (home edition) which causes the sytem
to shutdown. I removed the modem so that no pci were used and used an
external 56k via the serial port. I got the same message and the sytem shut
down. The reason why it shuts down is because of bad data. Apart from this
the sustem performs as expected.

The line works fine with my macintosh.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Any ideas?

Go to groups.google.com and enter the exact error message text
in quotes, as in "blah blah blah bad data", and see what pops up.
By using double quotes around the string, Google will look for
an exact match.

I've never heard of something like this before (networking problem
causes shutdown). Would it have something to do with the memory
in the computer (as in, that is where the bad data is, in memory) ?
Maybe if you got a copy of MEMTEST86 from memtest86.com, you
could test the memory. The program is free and when you execute
the download, it will prepare and format a special boot floppy
for you. The floppy will not be readable in Windows, because it
doesn't have a normal file system on it. It is a bootable floppy,
with the memory testing program being the only code on the disk.

Otherwise, post the exact error message you are seeing, as that
might tweak someones memory.

HTH,
Paul
Old February 4th 04, 06:27 AM
Rubberduck

Friends of my had the same problem a few months ago! They had too update
there modem driver because there the one causing the troubles!
After updating the driver all works perfect.
So i`ll think there must be more people with this poblem or recognize it!

Serge

"Paul" schreef in bericht

Old February 4th 04, 07:05 AM
Paul

In article , "Rubberduck"
wrote:

Friends of my had the same problem a few months ago! They had too update
there modem driver because there the one causing the troubles!
After updating the driver all works perfect.
So i`ll think there must be more people with this poblem or recognize it!

Serge

But he has the problem using an external 56K as well ? I could understand
if the problem was only with a PCI Winmodem and some version of PCTel
driver (that does FFT and the like, to convert digitized audio from the
phone line, into data), but an external 56K should be feeding data
ready for the networking stack. The two modem types don't involve
the same mechanism for getting the data. At some point, they'll share
some code in the networking stack, but that part probably comes with the
OS. I want to see what the error message is, to find out what part of
the software is complaining.

Paul

"Paul" schreef in bericht

Old February 4th 04, 09:05 AM
daniel

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help. I found the solution on experts exchange. Basically
the error report was calling RPC (Pemote Procedure Call) to restart with
slight bits of bad data. Here is the procedure that i folled to fix it.

Got to Start-Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Services-Remote
Procedure Call(RPC)-Recovery Tab and choose "Take No Action" for all three
choices

Suspect it to be a virus of some sort. Gonna see if i can detect it. Thanks
for your help

Old February 4th 04, 12:05 PM
Muttley

It sounds like the Msblast / Blaster worm or one of it's many variants
exploiting the RPC vulnerability in Windows XP.

Visit this page at the Microsoft website to find out how to protect your PC
from these worms:

John S.

"daniel" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help. I found the solution on experts exchange. Basically
the error report was calling RPC (Pemote Procedure Call) to restart with
slight bits of bad data. Here is the procedure that i folled to fix it.

Got to Start-Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Services-Remote
Procedure Call(RPC)-Recovery Tab and choose "Take No Action" for all

three
choices

Suspect it to be a virus of some sort. Gonna see if i can detect it.

Thanks
for your help

"Paul" wrote in message
In article ,

Old February 4th 04, 01:55 PM
Paul

In article , "daniel"
wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help. I found the solution on experts exchange. Basically
the error report was calling RPC (Pemote Procedure Call) to restart with
slight bits of bad data. Here is the procedure that i folled to fix it.

Got to Start-Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Services-Remote
Procedure Call(RPC)-Recovery Tab and choose "Take No Action" for all three
choices

Suspect it to be a virus of some sort. Gonna see if i can detect it. Thanks
for your help

I don't know too much about viruses, but here is something involving
RPC. It might be MSBLAST, which apparently will cause reboots even if
a security patch has been applied. You could also try searching the
various anti-virus web sites on "remote procedure call", including
the double quotes.

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/msblast.shtml
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/raleka.shtml
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/lovgate.shtml