A7N8X Deluxe v-2 (&win98se) -Need IDE Controller & driver Info

Old January 19th 04, 10:39 PM

Default A7N8X Deluxe v-2 (&win98se) -Need IDE Controller & driver Info

Hi:

I've gone through a real mess with my computer. I won't bore you
with all the details. It would take a LONG message.

What I need is someone with a A7N8X deluxe 2 motherboard, and a
BASIC setup where ALL hard drives and cd/dvd drives are connected to
the primary & secondary IDE connectors. Hopefully, you will also be
running win98se, although I'm not sure if that is important.

If this is you, could you please go to control
panel---system----device manager---hard disk controller?

What is your hard disk controller, and what properties does it
have? i.e. driver & file version, and resources?

OK, here's what happened, briefly:

1. Installed Promise card & ran hard drives off that, while
running all cd & dvd drives off primary & secondary IDE controllers on
motherboard. Seemed to run OK for several months.

2. Had problem with several programs & had to uninstall &
reinstall. Somewhere along the line I lost my win386.swp file, and
was unable to recreate it, no matter what I did.

(several steps deleted)

3. Finally removed Promise & put 1 hard drive back on
motherobard, along with 2 dvd drives connected to secondary IDE port.

4. Windows 98se refuses to show any/all cd/dvd drives, no matter
what combinations I try. Any combination of hard drives does show up.

5. When I go to control panel---etc--hard disk controllers, it
says that I have a standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller, but it has
a BIG YELLOW EXCLAMATION mark next to it.
When I check properties it says device is not present, not
working properly, or does not have drivers installed.
The driver is win98se\system\iosubsys\ESDI_506.pdr

This combination lets me see my hard drive, but no cd or dvd
drives.
(I've tried all combinations of hard drives & cd/dvd drives.)

What I'm trying to confirm is that I have the correct hard disk
controller, and the right driver, that SHOULD let me see both hard
drives and cd/dvd drives.
If I don't have the right controller & driver, I'll change them.
If I do, then I have to keep searching to find out the problem.

____Thank you____ for reading all this. I hope someone can help
me with the controller & driver info on their setup.

Ron
Old January 19th 04, 11:40 PM
AndrewJ

What I'm trying to confirm is that I have the correct hard disk
controller, and the right driver, that SHOULD let me see both hard
drives and cd/dvd drives.
If I don't have the right controller & driver, I'll change them.
If I do, then I have to keep searching to find out the problem.

I have Win98SE on two of those mobos. I would delete all the items you
mentioned in the Device Manager and reboot. Get the latest GF2 driver
package at Asus which does work good. Deleting all those items and
rebooting, it should sort itself.
__________
If you give a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco

[...]