ASRock K7VM2 motherboard

Old September 22nd 04, 12:42 PM
Papa

Default ASRock K7VM2 motherboard

A month ago I purchased a used ASRock K7VM2 from a seller on eBay. The
seller is a computer parts liquidator who removes motherboards and other
items from old computers and sells them. He claims that his parts are all
tested.

The motherboard would not post, no beeps, nothing. The only things connected
was a new video card, a RAM chip that tested good on another system, a good
CPU and fan/heatsink, and a computer power supply. A good monitor was
connected to the video card. The CPU fan would run, but the computer screen
remained blank.

So I sent it back to the seller, who then sent me 2 more K7VM2 motherboards.
The results were the same as before. Neither board would post or beep.

The reason I wanted a K7VM2 board in the first place was because I was
trying to repair a friend's computer, which had a dead K7VM2 motherboard.

Are ASRock motherboards that bad, or was I dealing with a seller of junk
parts? Thanks.

Old September 26th 04, 12:03 AM
Papa

One further comment. I think these ASRock motherboard may be extremely
finicky about RAM. I tried 3 different brands, all meeting the motherboard
RAM specifications, and that did not help at all - although with one of the
boards I was able to make it post just one time with one of the RAM chips.
After that, nothing.

Then I purchased another brand of motherboard (not ASRock), mounted the CPU,
video card, one of the RAM chips, and the power supply. After shorting
across the power button pins, it posted immediately. I got the same result
with every RAM chip I had tried to use on the ASRock motherboard.

By the way, the CMOS batteries used in the ASRock motherboards were all
knew.

Then I got onto a computer forum and found many other ASRock users with
similar experiences. Final conclusion - ASRock motherboards are unreliable.

ink.net...