ASRock motherboards OK?

Old February 14th 17, 07:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

Default ASRock motherboards OK?

I mainly bought ASUS motherboards over the years and have mostly been happy with
them. Never bought one in their lower priced line, ASRock. But I'm considering
upgrading my main system since it's been about 3 years and I found a new ASRock board
I really like:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal...ance/index.asp

It has all the features I would want except a DisplayPort connection, but I have a
graphics card for that (GTX-1050). Of course H270 can't be overclocked, but I never
do that anyway. The board supports the 7th generation CPU I'm thinking of without
needing a BIOS update. I'd use 16GB of DDR4 2400 RAM in it, which is supported with
the 7th generation CPU.

Newegg has a good price on it, especially considering all its features: $119.99 plus
$7.87 shipping less $10 MIR, so net a bit less than $118.

Anybody here have experience with ASRock? Good, bad or indifferent?

Larc
Old February 14th 17, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal...%20Performance
/index.asp

It has all the features I would want except a DisplayPort
connection, but I have a graphics card for that (GTX-1050).
Of course H270 can't be overclocked, but I never do that
anyway. The board supports the 7th generation CPU I'm
thinking of without needing a BIOS update. I'd use 16GB of
DDR4 2400 RAM in it, which is supported with the 7th
generation CPU.

Newegg has a good price on it, especially considering all
its features: $119.99 plus $7.87 shipping less $10 MIR, so
net a bit less than $118.

Anybody here have experience with ASRock? Good, bad or
indifferent?

Not much help here, but... I recently shopped for a
motherboard. When I saw MSI staff on Newegg giving
boilerplate off-topic replies to every bad review, I crossed
them off of my list. I was looking at ASRock, but I went with
Gigabyte "ultra durable" because I recently lost a
motherboard due to what was probably a corrupt BIOS.
Old February 14th 17, 08:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Larc wrote:
Anybody here have experience with ASRock? Good, bad or indifferent?

Larc

I would examine product reviews on Amazon. I generally do for any such
purchase..and it steers some of my decisions. It may be that some
models of ASROCK boards are more reliable than others...
Old February 14th 17, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Larc wrote:
[...]

I only have one of their motherboards. Generally the
hardware is decent. The BIOS on mine was a bit lacking,
but at the time, there were some legal issues (lawyers)
which were causing the company to not fix the BIOS properly.
A guy in Germany fixed the BIOS, and I flashed that in and
was happy after that. (Working EIST...)

Asrock usually has a different mix of connectors than an
Asus board, so that's one of the things you might spot
when buying one. I think mine had two PS/2 connectors at
the time, which is what I was looking for.

Mine had a VCore chip suited to overclocking, but was
missing the BIOS code to make it viable. I ended up
doing my own "volt mod", because I could get the
datasheet for the regulator. Since it wasn't stable
at +33%, I had to back out and run it stock. At stock,
the DDR2 on that board, was one of the most stable
boards for memory, that I'd had to date.

*******

You should be using the reviews on Newegg in any case,
to spot problems before you have to deal with them.
Download the manual, and go through the manual before
even considering buying it. Look at the Newegg or Amazon
reviews, and see what is known about it. I don't know
if any forums discuss Asrock. Asus has vip.asus.com
forum server, but I don't know if Asrock has any unofficial
forum or not.

I'd say they're definitely worth considering. I'm happy
with my purchase, and got value from it. But like visiting
a car lot, there's lots of little research things you
can do before you buy.

One of my pet peeves today would be "is the Vcore heatsink
big enough" ? I see a lot of fairly tiny heatsinks
out there. And my last purchased motherboard, that's
about the only thing holding it back from being
a great motherboard. Is a ****ty Vcore heatsink choice.
I never gave it a thought before I bought it, but once
it overheated, I could immediately see what a dope
I had been. For not reviewing that before purchase.
If I'd noticed that, I probably would have rejected
that one, and spent another $100 on a better motherboard.

Paul
Old February 14th 17, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 13:43:23 -0500, Larc
wrote:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal...ance/index.asp

Respectable wattage draws, very, for some decent speeds to work with
for being limited to four cores to a graphics processor (9th
Generation Skylake 6000, Pentiums and Celerons. Not sure how that
would work, if at all and in conjunction with a slotted graphics
board). I personally wouldn't mind 8 cores, but space heaters, at
130watts and over, would send me scurrying back to a quadcore at
35watts.

80-ish watts, believe both my Intel and AMD are. Two Gigabytes
running at ten-years-old, or near to approaching -- each updated three
times from single, dual, to their present maxed-out quads. Last two
updates (four CPUs) were Ebay shop pulls, and never had to pay more
than $30 a CPU. Last CPU on a Gigabyte m61pme-s2, I stuck in affected
the MB, and its chipset/sensors hit 150F on extra heavy loads. Not
bad, still, for $50 MBs.

Your new 35watt CPU, its cores should be a third faster than mine are,
and hardly any heat dissipation. All but for and excluding a 2.4G
SR2LP. Quiet PS and case fan should be pretty sweet. Enjoy.
Old February 14th 17, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 14:34:12 -0500, Paul wrote:

> [...]
| forum server, but I don't know if Asrock has any unofficial
| forum or not.
|
| I'd say they're definitely worth considering. I'm happy
| with my purchase, and got value from it. But like visiting
| a car lot, there's lots of little research things you
| can do before you buy.
|
| One of my pet peeves today would be "is the Vcore heatsink
| big enough" ? I see a lot of fairly tiny heatsinks
| out there. And my last purchased motherboard, that's
| about the only thing holding it back from being
| a great motherboard. Is a ****ty Vcore heatsink choice.
| I never gave it a thought before I bought it, but once
| it overheated, I could immediately see what a dope
| I had been. For not reviewing that before purchase.
| If I'd noticed that, I probably would have rejected
| that one, and spent another $100 on a better motherboard.

Problem is this motherboard is so new that not many have reported on it. Amazon
isn't even selling it yet. Newegg has 2 reviews of the micro version, which are both
good, but none for the full ATX version I'm looking at. Goldfries gave it 5 stars,
for whatever that's worth.

https://www.goldfries.com/hardware-r...rmance-review/

Larc
Old February 14th 17, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 16:26:27 -0500, Flasherly wrote:

| On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 13:43:23 -0500, Larc
| wrote:
|

| http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal...ance/index.asp
|

| Respectable wattage draws, very, for some decent speeds to work with
| for being limited to four cores to a graphics processor (9th
| Generation Skylake 6000, Pentiums and Celerons. Not sure how that
| would work, if at all and in conjunction with a slotted graphics
| board). I personally wouldn't mind 8 cores, but space heaters, at
| 130watts and over, would send me scurrying back to a quadcore at
| 35watts.
|
| 80-ish watts, believe both my Intel and AMD are. Two Gigabytes
| running at ten-years-old, or near to approaching -- each updated three
| times from single, dual, to their present maxed-out quads. Last two
| updates (four CPUs) were Ebay shop pulls, and never had to pay more
| than $30 a CPU. Last CPU on a Gigabyte m61pme-s2, I stuck in affected
| the MB, and its chipset/sensors hit 150F on extra heavy loads. Not
| bad, still, for $50 MBs.
|
| Your new 35watt CPU, its cores should be a third faster than mine are,
| and hardly any heat dissipation. All but for and excluding a 2.4G
| SR2LP. Quiet PS and case fan should be pretty sweet. Enjoy.

I'll be getting a new CPU if I decide on this board, an i3-7300. That's 51W and runs
at 4.0 GHz. There are 4.1 and 4.2 GHz versions as well, but wouldn't be faster
enough to justify the extra cost.

Larc
Old February 15th 17, 02:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Larc wrote:
Problem is this motherboard is so new that not many have reported on it.

I usually stick with somewhat-tested configurations--because I am not an
expert (like Paul and Flasherly, here). And I STILL have run into some
hiccups! : ) I even payed Gigabyte and extra $40 last time around
for a ("Black") "burned-in (48-hour)/tested" motherboard. I didn't
really care for that "sucker tax"! : ) But the cost of failure, as you
may know, can be inconvenient and time-consuming...

Old February 15th 17, 04:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 17:44:40 -0500, Larc
wrote:

I'll be getting a new CPU if I decide on this board, an i3-7300. That's 51W and runs
at 4.0 GHz. There are 4.1 and 4.2 GHz versions as well, but wouldn't be faster
enough to justify the extra cost.

Ah...a dually, though that's still scorchingly fast for that kind of
wattage.

I can chug-down my quads, at their limitations for stuttering and
latency stuff, with multiple instances of audio processing modules;
Mostly audio compression and combinations thereof tied to band-pass
filters. Only not sure if it's a parallel-processing issue or speed
related, being just the AMD, as I haven't tried it with the Intel
(both are quads rated for 2.2G).

How about that...
Wiki [mis]lists the upper range of Skylake at 4 cores
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ar chitecture

Whereas identifies a i7-5960X at 8 cores here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icroprocessors
(where I got that first 35-watt model)
Old February 15th 17, 04:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:07:54 -0500, Bill
wrote:

(like Paul and Flasherly, here).

I'm more of "seat of the pants" experience. Spouting specifications,
applicability and interpretation -- that's hardcore and something I
usually have to work at, if at all to come up with something. Any
expertise is a byproduct of a related enjoyment computers have
impressed ever since I got my hands on one: Unlike math, which I test
high for a decent comprehension. Did that stop me from cruising
lazily by math courses, in the middle of the bell curve, when I could
have done much better...oh, hell no. Heh. What I taken (and lost)
out of the stock market in profits -- entirely different story...I've
even went so far to freak-out tax accountants.

Quality of ASRock motherboards ? / Is ASRock the same as Elitegroup (ECS) ? Jason Stacy General 0 November 29th 06 05:21 PM
AsRock motherboards any good? nospam Homebuilt PC's 19 October 5th 06 05:47 AM
AMD CPUs in ASRock motherboards magnate General 36 October 30th 05 06:35 AM
ASROCK motherboards? Zed Rafi General 4 June 14th 05 12:27 AM
ASROCK motherboards, are they any good Goran Boo General 21 June 21st 04 08:22 AM