New motherboard storage devices

Old February 13th 17, 06:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Default New motherboard storage devices

There is a new type of connector on my motherboard that
apparently can facilitate extremely fast storage drives. They
look cheap and apparently faster than SSD, I might try one
soon. Intel has a 128 GB version for about $65...

Intel 128GB M.2 80mm SSD (SSDPEKKW128G7X1)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TVPDKIKX 0DER
Old February 14th 17, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

John Doe wrote:
There is a new type of connector on my motherboard that
apparently can facilitate extremely fast storage drives. They
look cheap and apparently faster than SSD, I might try one
soon. Intel has a 128 GB version for about $65...

Intel 128GB M.2 80mm SSD (SSDPEKKW128G7X1)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TVPDKIKX 0DER

It's a 600 series, and slightly faster than an SSD.
Part of the performance is related to capacity (number
of flash chips, number of lanes working in parallel),
so the larger capacity ones might work slightly better.

https://ark.intel.com/products/94917...3_0-x4-3D1-TLC

You'd want to find a review of the 600 series, to understand
what you're buying. And if you think about it, the "family"
information (600p) was missing, to make it harder for a customer
to run into the reviews on their own.

A good one, with X4 lanes, should do around 2GB/sec reads. This
site has reviews, and some of the summary charts will allow
a quick comparison.

http://www.thessdreview.com/featured...t-efficient/2/

Chart - Includes a reference to an Intel 600p 512GB (the 128GB
should be slower).

http://www.thessdreview.com/featured...t-efficient/4/

When a test attempts to determine an "average" performance
figure, that takes into account some amount of small file
activity. These drives *hate* 4KB write tests, and small
files really slow then down. You get to see the fancy
performance, in HDTune or similar.

The first SSD I bought, was bad enough I returned it. I
couldn't figure out what it was up to (rated 500MB/sec write,
was doing around 130MB/sec in a sustained write test). The second
SSD I bought, I've been avoiding too much "careful scrutiny"
so I won't have buyers remorse :-)

The advantage of a regular SATA SSD, is a high degree of portability.
It can be shoved anywhere an SSD hard drive would go. Even if it
isn't a speed demon.

Paul
Old February 14th 17, 09:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Paul wrote:

John Doe wrote:

There is a new type of connector on my motherboard that
apparently can facilitate extremely fast storage drives. They
look cheap and apparently faster than SSD, I might try one
soon. Intel has a 128 GB version for about $65...

Intel 128GB M.2 80mm SSD (SSDPEKKW128G7X1)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TVPDKIKX 0DER

It's a 600 series, and slightly faster than an SSD.
Part of the performance is related to capacity (number
of flash chips, number of lanes working in parallel),
so the larger capacity ones might work slightly better.

Must be why the 256 GB version lists some specs that are
much better than the 128 GB version.

Old February 19th 17, 01:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6PVB396 0EU85

$130 (US)

"I can get up to 2400 mbs read and about 1500 mbs write"

"My drive tests show about 1.5 Gigabytes per second for read
and 1 Gigabyte per second for write"
Old February 19th 17, 05:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:46:30 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

$130 (US)

"I can get up to 2400 mbs read and about 1500 mbs write"

"My drive tests show about 1.5 Gigabytes per second for read
and 1 Gigabyte per second for write"

Buy six that you can cool instead of running at 95C.

http://segmentnext.com/2017/02/17/gi...4-motherboard/

As clear from the image, the Gigabyte Aorus motherboard features three
PCiExpress ports, as well as a trio of NVME M.2 PCIE connectors.

The I/O ports and SATA connectors are designed at the edges of board.
Old February 19th 17, 05:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Flasherly wrote:

John Doe wrote:

$130 (US)

"I can get up to 2400 mbs read and about 1500 mbs write"

"My drive tests show about 1.5 Gigabytes per second for
read and 1 Gigabyte per second for write"

Buy six that you can cool instead of running at 95C.

Seems Western Digital has provided plenty of thermal
management in its most recent product...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TVPDKIKX 0DER

"Optimized thermal and power management..."

--

http://segmentnext.com/2017/02/17/gi...us-am4-motherb

Old February 19th 17, 07:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

$130 (US)

"I can get up to 2400 mbs read and about 1500 mbs write"

"My drive tests show about 1.5 Gigabytes per second for read
and 1 Gigabyte per second for write"

Buy six that you can cool instead of running at 95C.

http://segmentnext.com/2017/02/17/gi...4-motherboard/

As clear from the image, the Gigabyte Aorus motherboard features three
PCiExpress ports, as well as a trio of NVME M.2 PCIE connectors.

The I/O ports and SATA connectors are designed at the edges of board.

Yes, but remember the architecture on the Intel dual channel
motherboards. The PCH is connected via DMI V.3 to the CPU.
That's four lanes of 1GB/sec each. When you connect three
NVMe x4, that represents over-subscription. All three
cannot be accessed at the same time (in the same direction)
and add their bandwidth together. If you RAID0 3x2GB/sec through
a 4GB/sec pipe, some performance will be lost.

The purpose of providing three NVMe ports, is for "fanout",
so more drives can be supported. A lot of people will misinterpret
the option, as a way to RAID0 them together.

If the NVMe ports were split off the video card slot,
that would help spread out the loading.

Paul
Old February 19th 17, 10:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 16:45:35 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TVPDKIKX 0DER

"Optimized thermal and power management..."

After reading some of the temps from the reviews on that Patriot --
yeah, naming it Hellfire makes sense.
Old February 19th 17, 11:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:23:57 -0500, Paul
wrote:

Yes, but remember the architecture on the Intel dual channel
motherboards. The PCH is connected via DMI V.3 to the CPU.
That's four lanes of 1GB/sec each. When you connect three
NVMe x4, that represents over-subscription. All three
cannot be accessed at the same time (in the same direction)
and add their bandwidth together. If you RAID0 3x2GB/sec through
a 4GB/sec pipe, some performance will be lost.

The purpose of providing three NVMe ports, is for "fanout",
so more drives can be supported. A lot of people will misinterpret
the option, as a way to RAID0 them together.

If the NVMe ports were split off the video card slot,
that would help spread out the loading.

M.2 RAID NVMe
http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-ne...t-performance/

Looks to be ... though, these new Ryzen X3XX chipsets variously are
incorporating a future for faster than SATA thruput in NVME standards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd...apu,32645.html

$120 for a 256G, or twice what a SDD runs -- a 1T SATA SSD may hit
$100 as people move into faster channels.
Old February 20th 17, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

wrote:

[...]

You made me curious, and I noticed that an Intel 1-Terabyte SSD is $302
at Amazon.
By comparison the Intel 730 480 GB SSD is about $239 (I got one of
these 2 years ago from Newegg for $199 on "Black Friday"). I'm not sure
if the performance of these drives are equivalent. In by book, cheaper
and better hardware is great no matter what form it takes! ; )
By the way, a 55", 4K television is on sale today at Best Buy for $375 (!).