BIOS and Keyboard

Old September 22nd 03, 10:56 PM
CJJ

Default BIOS and Keyboard

I have been given some old comp bits from a local school, the idea is to
build a basic machine for a local playgroup.
All going ok except I cannot access the BIOS with the keyboard. I believe I
will need to access the BIOS at some point to align all 'elements' of the
system
The machines given are quite old and have a very old type keyboard socket
and a ps2 socket, as I do not have a 'old ' socket keyboard i am trying to
use a PS2 but the system will not let me, however it does light up very
briefly during post (could it be to only allow a keyboard action when
authority is given from another networked machine?? seems reasonable in a
classroom environment).
Can I access the BIOS without the keyboard or will I have to get a hold of a
keyboard with the 'old type plug.
Can anyone help?????

--

This e-mail has been virus checked before transmission by Norton Anti-Virus
2002

Old September 22nd 03, 11:05 PM
Strontium

Your local PC shop should sell the appropriate adapter for about $1 USD.
The reason your keyboard is not working (I'm guessing) is that you are
plugging it into the mouse socket

-
CJJ stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

[...]

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old September 23rd 03, 09:36 AM
do_not_spam_me

"CJJ" wrote in message ...

I have been given some old comp bits from a local school
All going ok except I cannot access the BIOS with the keyboard

The machines given are quite old and have a very old type keyboard
socket and a ps2 socket, as I do not have a 'old ' socket keyboard
i am trying to use a PS2 but the system will not let me, however
it does light up very briefly during post

That PS/2 port is only for the mouse, and while it's electrically
compatible with keyboards, the BIOS doesn't handle it appropriately to
allow that, so you'll need to use the large 5-pin DIN keyboard port
(with adapter plug or cable) instead of the 6-pin mini-DIN mouse port.

Running without a floppy drive installed may cause the BIOS to let you
enter the setup, or you could try one of these many sequences:

AMI BIOS:
[F1]
[Del] on bootup
[Ctrl]-[S]

AST BIOS:
[Ctrl]-[Alt]-[Esc]

Award BIOS:
[F1] or [F2] on Bootup
[Del] on Bootup
[Ctrl]-[Alt]-[Enter]

Compaq BIOS:
[F10] on Bootup

Phoenix BIOS:
[F2]
[Ctrl]-[Alt]-[Esc]
[Ctrl]-[Alt]-[R]
[Ctrl]-[Alt]-[Ins]
[Ctrl]-[Alt]-[Q]
[Ctrl]-[Alt]-[F1]
[Ctrl]-[Alt]-[+]
[Ctrl]-[Alt]-[-]

IBM PS1 &Value Point BIOSes:
[Ctrl]-[Alt]-[i]

www.hardwarehell.com or www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org may have more
information about your machines.

Keyboard and mouse won't work Pam General 2 July 27th 04 09:50 PM
Keyboard lights flashing and BIOS beeping at start up [email protected] General 4 November 24th 03 11:55 PM
PSU kills bios!? Michael General 15 October 7th 03 02:15 PM
BIOS without keyboard CJJ General 3 September 24th 03 11:57 PM
Getting frustrated with XP/Acpi and Bios update Jouni Ruoska Homebuilt PC's 2 June 25th 03 01:14 PM