Dell vs HP

Old April 9th 07, 02:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Gary

Default Dell vs HP

I've been comparing a Dell Duo 2.66 with the same list of items from HP.
The price for the HP is nearly a $ 1000 cheaper. Is there any reason to pay
that much more for the same thing? I have had 3 Dells and 1 HP and no major
problems with either.

Old April 9th 07, 02:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 20:18:07 -0500, "Gary"
wrote:

I've been comparing a Dell Duo 2.66 with the same list of items from HP.
The price for the HP is nearly a $ 1000 cheaper. Is there any reason to pay
that much more for the same thing? I have had 3 Dells and 1 HP and no major
problems with either.

What exactly are you comparing? Can you give more of a description?
Like Dell 9200, HP xxxx .....
Old April 9th 07, 03:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Gary

wrote:

I've been comparing a Dell Duo 2.66 with the same list of items from HP.
The price for the HP is nearly a $ 1000 cheaper. Is there any reason to
pay
that much more for the same thing? I have had 3 Dells and 1 HP and no
major
problems with either.

What exactly are you comparing? Can you give more of a description?
Like Dell 9200, HP xxxx .....

I was comparing a Dell XPS 710 2.66Ghz with an HP d4790y 2/66Ghz
The Dell comes with Media Center 2005 and HP with Vista Ultimate.
Both have 2 GB of memory.
Same Optical Drives
No monitors
Dell has a 250 GB hd and HP a 320 SATA hd
Same for keyboards & mice
Both have TV tuners
Both come with MS Works 8
Dell has a one year service warranty & HP has a two year same price
The Dell figures out at $ 2999 with free shipping
The HP figures out at $ 2119 with free shipping

Old April 9th 07, 03:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Paul[_5_]

I sure miss the days when I could afford either of those. Ahh but now I
have tuitions, mortgages, car payments, teenagers car insurance, ect ect..
depressing huh But back to your problems lol, looking at the two I
honestly can't see why you shouldn't save nearly $900 and go for the HP and
I'm a die hard Dell guy, I would be interested in what Graphic cards come
with each? Either way good luck with your purchase and if you don't like it
you can always send it to me

Old April 9th 07, 03:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

wrote:

[...]

The 710 is not comparable. It is a very high end machine with a 750Watt (or
1000watt) power supply.

Compare the HP to an XPS 410 or a closer comparison is the Dimension E520.

Old April 9th 07, 04:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Paul[_5_]

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
" Compare the HP to an XPS 410 or a closer comparison is the Dimension
E520."

Now that I have(E520) purchased it from Dell's Outlet and paid less then a
fifth of what the HP listed here is priced at, just had to upgrade the video
card to make it exactly as I wanted..

Old April 9th 07, 11:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Isn't this the 2nd post of this type in a fairly short period of time?
(Apples to oranges HP vs Dell and HP is cheaper type of thing?)

I could be wrong, but I thought I smelled a troll.

Old April 9th 07, 12:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

wrote:

I've been comparing a Dell Duo 2.66 with the same list of items from HP.
The price for the HP is nearly a $ 1000 cheaper. Is there any reason to pay
that much more for the same thing? I have had 3 Dells and 1 HP and no major
problems with either.

I don't know if you are comparing apples to apples but Dell has
acknowledged (based on my readings) recently that on some models they
are not as cheap as HP and want to revise their mfg. sytems to be more
competitive. Personally I don't know which models this apply to.
Old April 9th 07, 04:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 21:04:21 -0500, "Gary"
wrote:

The Dell figures out at $ 2999 with free shipping
The HP figures out at $ 2119 with free shipping

If both have the expandability options you want (i.e. SATA on
motherboard), and you have checked out Dell coupons and the outlet and
HP still seems attractively priced, then go for it.

I don't know much about HP's support or web driver download services
-- those are things to consider too.

As someone else said, see if the XPS 410 is more comparable, and if so
check the outlet and factor in Dell coupons there too.
Old April 9th 07, 04:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Gary

I am honestly comparing the two computers. I looked back and saw the other
post. I'm definitely not a troll.

"S.Lewis" wrote in message