Bar graph display on IMD for Proliants

Old July 1st 06, 07:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Bar graph display on IMD for Proliants

.. wrote:
I might give that a go. Could you tell me which PSP you downloaded, and
where to find the IMD utility in it?

I am assuming you are running Fedora Core 4. If so, download from he

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/24759.html

Unzip the file (gzip) and search the contents for installable files
(rpm format). You can also run setup and only select the utilities that
you want to load (this gives you more detailed explanations of what the
utilities do...as opposed to having to guess based on the file name).

Please report any success or failure.

I sometimes wonder if LC sees the potential, that Linux has, to breathe
new life into this legacy hardware. I am a "hardware" man myself, and
want nothing more than to see the life of these machines extended far
beyond their designers wildest dreams.

Old July 1st 06, 08:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article .com,
says...

I am assuming you are running Fedora Core 4. If so, download from he

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/24759.html

Unzip the file (gzip) and search the contents for installable files
(rpm format). You can also run setup and only select the utilities that
you want to load (this gives you more detailed explanations of what the
utilities do...as opposed to having to guess based on the file name).

This is where it gets a tad messy: I've downloaded 7.52 PSP for RH4
Enterprise, but I'm running Gentoo.

I can't run the install script as it expects an OS-identifier in /etc/
so I need to find where the IMD stuff is in the 100MB. I've had a look
in all of the archived files and I can't see anything at all that
relates to the IMD. Array setup, NIC drivers etc. etc. are all fine but
not what I'm looking for. The closest I've found is stuff for Lights Out
and System Health but again no mention made of anything remotely
connected to the IMD.

Is there any way you can help point me in the right direction for the
IMD utility?
Old July 1st 06, 10:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article .com,
says...
I sometimes wonder if LC sees the potential, that Linux has, to breathe
new life into this legacy hardware. I am a "hardware" man myself, and
want nothing more than to see the life of these machines extended far
beyond their designers wildest dreams.

That's the way I see it. I have a 1200 and 5500 in the rack running all
my internet stuff. The 1200 is only a 128MB/233MHz machine, but it's
just a firewall, and it does that brilliantly. OK so the internal video
chipset is a bit clunky running kde and Webmin to do the admin stuff,
but hell how often do you fire that bit up and change the configuration
anyway.

It runs shorewall, and is the ntp and rsync server for everything else
on the network, and it just goes.

The 5500 is a quad Xeon400/1GB machine, and it runs as a DMZ hosting
DNS, apache, mysql, php, postfix, ftp, etc. etc. and it just runs
without hiccup. The graphics under kde are nothing to sneeze at though I
will admit I whacked in a spare 3D Rage video card that was lying around
because it was better than the internal one.

To be honest, it wouldn't be any improvement if I had $4000 of new
machines replacing this lot, because even though I wouldn't try loading
XP onto them and launching AutoCAD, what people tend to forget is that
for internet jobs like this, the oldies are just perfect.

The 5500 cost me the grand sum of just $27 (yep that's right, 27
Australian dollars) off ebay, and cosmetically/functionally it's as new.

Where else can you find a quad-pentium machine with a gig of RAM, twin
power supplies, insane amounts of cooling, and bullet-proof RAID 5 scsi
storage for that sort of money?

OK so it takes a few days of hard-drive spinning to build up a Stage 1
Gentoo system from scratch. So what?

I love these old tanks.
Old July 1st 06, 10:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...

. wrote:
I might give that a go. Could you tell me which PSP you downloaded, and
where to find the IMD utility in it?

I am assuming you are running Fedora Core 4. If so, download from he

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/24759.html

Unzip the file (gzip) and search the contents for installable files
(rpm format). You can also run setup and only select the utilities that
you want to load (this gives you more detailed explanations of what the
utilities do...as opposed to having to guess based on the file name).

Please report any success or failure.

I sometimes wonder if LC sees the potential, that Linux has, to breathe
new life into this legacy hardware. I am a "hardware" man myself, and
want nothing more than to see the life of these machines extended far
beyond their designers wildest dreams.

Of course i see the the opensource potential for these old boxes. The
reality is that my world revolves around all (current) flavors of Windows
Server OS's and i no longer have the time, or the energy, to absorb the
learning curve of develeoping the same proficiency with *nix that I have
with Windows (x86, x64, IA64), all editions.

10 pounds of crap .... 5 pound bag, so i have to choose the 5 pounds of MS
as opposed to OpenSource.

- LC

Old July 1st 06, 01:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Dean

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

10 pounds of crap .... 5 pound bag, so i have to choose the 5 pounds of MS
as opposed to OpenSource.

Oh I quite agree - the practical realities of work have to take precedence.
In my case however I can afford to set a machine up over the course of a
few days, attending to it from time to time as it's doing a build, because
my line of work is embedded hardware design and so I don't have to worry
about commissioning several machines a week for impatient clients. I can
start it off, design a board during the day, and then see if the machine's
ready to do something several hours later as I'm walking past.

I do lots of Gentoo Linux servers for people this way, but they understand
that:
a) It's going to be an obsolete machine (nothing wrong with that of course)
but as such it'll still be more than good enough for the job and besides,
look at the peanuts you'll shell out to buy one, and
b) It's not going to happen in one day. Give me a call in about a week.

A lot of these legacy machines are indeed finding new life in scenarios like
this. A client of mine, after seeing the 4 Proliants in my rack (1200,
5000, 5500, 7000 - all running Gentoo with 2.6 kernels) is getting me to
build him up a LAMP server for his travel booking company because he's seen
how fast my own web server runs (the 5500, and the machine is way faster
than my ADSL connection anyway) and he can't argue for spending $1000 for a
new machine with inferior cooling and mechanical ruggedness when he can
pick up something with quad processors and RAID 5 storage for one fifth of
that cost.

But of course, by the same token I'm not going to walk into the bank's data
centre and suggest they outfit themselves with a bank of 7000s like the
ones they just decommissioned six months ago
Old July 1st 06, 05:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
10 pounds of crap .... 5 pound bag, so i have to choose the 5 pounds of MS
as opposed to OpenSource.

- LC

I know. I know. I just like involving you!

Jeff

Old July 2nd 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Dean

I appreciate what you've said, and it may indeed be impossible to get the
IMD utility to run under Gentoo, but I was asking if you could tell me
where in the PSP the IMD utility actually is, because I've downloaded PSP
7.2 for RH4 Enterprise and I just can't find it in any of the archives.

Are you sure that it IS in the PSP for RH4?

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

Messy is right! Gentoo is based on BSD, and it appears that BSD has
never been given any attention by the Compaq Support team. If you are
married to Gentoo, you may be out of luck. Someday Compaq may release
the source for these utilities (allowing us to do some fancy
compiling), but I wouldn't hold my breath.

For compiled utilities you will have to choose from Red Hat, SUsE,
Solaris, or SCO. I am, of course, an advocate of Red Hat, but SUsE is
just as free and just as full featured. I have never gotten the free
Solaris 10 to install on ANYTHING...though it claims to be compatable
with a boatload of x86 hardware. SCO, I have never tried.

The only thing that I am absolutely certain about is an install of
Fedora Core 4, then using the Enterprise 4 PSP. Sorry.

Jeff

Old July 2nd 06, 02:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
ups.com...

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
10 pounds of crap .... 5 pound bag, so i have to choose the 5 pounds of
MS
as opposed to OpenSource.

- LC

I know. I know. I just like involving you!

Jeff

thanks, per'tiate it !

Old July 2nd 06, 05:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Nut Cracker wrote:
thanks, per'tiate it !

See, that makes no sense to me. We speak the "Kings English" here!

Jeff

Old July 2nd 06, 05:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

i would suspect that the IMD is not present on any of the systems that HP
officially suppors RHEL4 on. That is likely the problem ...

- LC