"Core-X" i9 with 18 cores [CPU wars escalate]

Old June 5th 17, 01:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default "Core-X" i9 with 18 cores [CPU wars escalate]

On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 2:58:55 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

The 18-core for $2000 isn't good value, because
it's more suited to commercial server applications,
than to a desktop. Your 7ZIP compression run will go
faster, but the decompression step will be as slow
as ever. If you're the kind of person who leaves
four videos rendering in the background, then it'll be
a win for you.

the company I used to work for is using Xeon Phi for workstations.
That gives you about a teraflop, same as what the future extreme i9 will
achieve. Personally, I would go for i9 as the Xeon Phi is crap for the
odd things that can't run parallel.
Old June 5th 17, 10:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 02:45:27 -0400, Bill
wrote:

So we mere consumers are most probably not the target
market for these things...

Never were. Obfuscation always was as far as 'the public market' ever
cared to involve themselves. Desktops as marginalized for their
consumer availability...the CompUSA stereotypical EMachine with their
Friendly Tech Staff and a ready Service Plan. While supplies lasted.
Desktop being as well another distasteful four-letter name for W_o_r_k
-- hence Gaming Machine for a [pro]consumer and an important
distinction in placing the gameboy's big game. Once upon a time.
Options since, I'd imagine are considerable -- since the desktop, per
se, being on the skids of the mother of all slumps. As a news media
would have it -- sic paid-advertiser support by writing for industry
profit interests -- at the very least by now, is not something for
qualifying interest, other than occasionally to occur on 'your
grandfather's choice list'.

If you know how to and appreciate a build, it well could be on a
magnitude of having learned, unbeknownst at some early age in school,
a commonality to the roots of language, a reason and rhetoric for dead
Latin. We don't presume to speak anymore, after all. We rather talk,
convey messages, or face to smile into a 7.38587" handheld screen.

-
O propheta, certe penis tuus coelum versus erectus est. -Dusted
Angellust
Old June 5th 17, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 02:45:27 -0400, Bill wrote:

| wrote:
| On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 2:58:55 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:
| The 18-core for $2000 isn't good value, because
| it's more suited to commercial server applications,
| than to a desktop. Your 7ZIP compression run will go
| faster, but the decompression step will be as slow
| as ever. If you're the kind of person who leaves
| four videos rendering in the background, then it'll be
| a win for you.
|
| the company I used to work for is using Xeon Phi for workstations.
| That gives you about a teraflop, same as what the future extreme i9 will
| achieve. Personally, I would go for i9 as the Xeon Phi is crap for the
| odd things that can't run parallel.
|
| Applications in artificial intelligence running "neural networks" are
| more than ready to take advantage of this sort of parallelism. It is
| entering into the mainstream big time too, in order to try to sell you
| something, etc. So we mere consumers are most probably not the target
| market for these things...

I'm definitely not since 2 fast cores + hyperthreading will more than do everything I
want on a computer. Most of 18 cores would be no more than bragging points for me.

Larc
Old June 6th 17, 02:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 11:35:15 -0400, Larc
wrote:

2 fast cores + hyperthreading will more than do everything I
want on a computer

I'm not sure of speed, hyperthreading I obviously haven't, but with
quads, and here hyperthreading may have trumped. I wasn't seeing
constraints from AMD's core processor usage patterns, how intensive
reported on loads being processed -- or possibly indicative of
thread-handling roping them in and together more cohesively.

Encoding or however similar and only involving audio. That's my game.
Over-sampling particularly in streaming capabilities, odd/even
harmonic signal introduction and distribution, dithering, transient
recovery, to name some of what I'm now seeing. All, near enough or
almost all for my purposes, will take now, whereas before I'd
encounter quad latency issues and delays from misprocessed audio
artifacts.

Another possible indicative is a scatter-gun effect;- more processor
cores, paired halves in the case of a Bulldozer eight-core design
interpretation, with more cores consequently available to hit on a
time-depency contingency of segmented code distribution.

Oh, well. More study slated for such as compression engine
characteristics and features I'd had to turn off before in order to
keep signal integrity coherent.
Old June 6th 17, 03:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Flasherly wrote:
We don't presume to speak anymore, after all. We rather talk,
convey messages, or face to smile into a 7.38587" handheld screen.

The long-term consequences of that ought to be noteworthy--whatever they
turn out to be...
Old June 6th 17, 06:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 22:11:22 -0400, Bill
wrote:

The long-term consequences of that ought to be noteworthy--whatever they
turn out to be...

The other day I pulled in a gas station. One of popular WiFi hotspots
among many, I'd hazard, to avoid some pretty stiff fees on as much
data restriction, if not connection-time, apt to be among conventions
for Android use.

Meanwhile, in pulls this gorgeous girl to park her car next to me.
Well, she's a woman for all of her gorgeous intents, so far as I
rather care to concede, who somehow seems younger than older.

As I'm drinking, not especially gulping down, a beverage. During
which time, veritably in its entirety, she's putting on a "womanly
show" for me. Quite knowingly and enjoying herself as much with me,
as whatever or whomever the Android inculcates. Incessantly,
alluringly smiling into that screen with all her womanly might;...
whatever words may escaped between that facade of pearly white
momentarily alludes me.

I sincerely doubt I'll ever be that noteworthy;- my teeth aren't near
so focused, pretty and white as hers. Although I'll have to ad mitt I
did enjoy the show. (It was for me, as she would tone it down
whenever there was someone else close enough to see what she was up
to.)

My sister actually turned me on to it. When my niece went to college,
she filled me in how "new age" etiquette works -- how people don't
look or talk to one another anymore, not without a small handheld
screen first to intercede. (I'd already encountered a journal paper
by college professor, and his essay to establish new student
estimations of themselves -- a given for democratic assessment on
social media, apparently -- as one factually of disproportionate
measure for initial placement on proper academic grounds.)
Old June 6th 17, 06:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, What did you say was the emm location of this gas station? : )
Maybe the dental industry and the skin care product industry will be
bigger industries going forward?

I sincerely doubt I'll ever be that noteworthy;- my teeth aren't near
so focused, pretty and white as hers. Although I'll have to ad mitt I
did enjoy the show. (It was for me, as she would tone it down
whenever there was someone else close enough to see what she was up
to.)

My sister actually turned me on to it. When my niece went to college,
she filled me in how "new age" etiquette works -- how people don't
look or talk to one another anymore, not without a small handheld
screen first to intercede.

I've seen interesting phenomenon when a guy and girl, presumably a
dating couple, are walking along. The girl's gets a cell phone
call--and the guy, not wanting to "be outdone" has to work his social
network on this cell phone too... I've seen this happen more than
once. And no, it's not me, my cell phone barely knows it's way out of
the house.
Old June 6th 17, 03:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 6/6/2017 9:37 AM, Flasherly wrote:
Another possible indicative is a scatter-gun effect;- more processor
cores, paired halves in the case of a Bulldozer eight-core design
interpretation, with more cores consequently available to hit on a
time-depency contingency of segmented code distribution.

Oh, well. More study slated for such as compression engine
characteristics and features I'd had to turn off before in order to
keep signal integrity coherent.

Everything must be serialized in the end, unless tasks are mutually
exclusive of each other.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Old June 6th 17, 03:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 6/6/2017 10:35 PM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 6/6/2017 9:37 AM, Flasherly wrote:
Another possible indicative is a scatter-gun effect;- more processor
cores, paired halves in the case of a Bulldozer eight-core design
interpretation, with more cores consequently available to hit on a
time-depency contingency of segmented code distribution.

Oh, well. More study slated for such as compression engine
characteristics and features I'd had to turn off before in order to
keep signal integrity coherent.

Everything must be serialized in the end, unless tasks are mutually
exclusive of each other.

It's time!! Time cannot be split!