AOPEN AX4BS-V MOTHERBOARD - won't boot - won't POST - help please!!

Old November 28th 03, 08:05 PM
lucy

Default AOPEN AX4BS-V MOTHERBOARD - won't boot - won't POST - help please!!

AOPEN AX4BS-V MOTHERBOARD
Windows 2000 Pro with latest service pack & updates
384 megs of ram (128-meg sticks x 3)
tnt2 video card
80-gig hard drive
running hardware monitor III - which checks the temp & voltage

I was using CuteFTP to transfer some files to my webserver.
My computer locked up.
I hit CTL-ALT-DEL - no response.
I hit the reset button.
Instead of rebooting, I got:
* no video output
* all 3 LEDs on my keyboard flashed 5 times quickly, paused, then repeated
* fans were spinning, LED on my motherboard was on

I pulled the power cord from power outlet, waited a few minutes, then plugged
it back in.
When I turned it on, I got the same results:
* no video output
* all 3 LEDs on my keyboard flashed 5 times quickly, paused, then repeated
* fans were spinning, LED on my motherboard was on

I pulled the power cord from the wall,
opened the case, and removed the power leads
from the power supply to the motherboard.

I then (following the instructions in the mini-manual) moved the jumper
JP14 from 1-2 to 2-3 for a few seconds and back again.

I then plugged the power leads from the power supply back onto the mother
board, plugged it into the wall outlet.

Now I got:
* no video
* no keyboard errors
* no beep codes
* cant get to the point of hitting DEL to get into CMOS and reset back to
defaults
* fans spin - so I know there is power to the motherboard

I then pulled every card but the video card (network, sound, etc),
removed every IDE cable from the Hard Drive, the CD-Rom and the floppy drive.

I then removed the power cords to the same devices.

I then removed all of the memory (3 sticks), and put a random one into Slot #1.

I then removed the button battery that backs up the CMOS area, waited 10 min,
put it back in.

I then did the Jumper JP14 again - trying to reset the cmos that way.

Now I got:
* no video
* no keyboard errors
* no beep codes
* cant get to the point of hitting DEL to get into CMOS and reset back to
defaults
* fans spin - so I know there is power to the motherboard

I now I have it sitting on my desk, no power of any kind going to it, battery
pulled,
no cards except the video, and I've re-seated it to make sure it's ok.
no ide cables, no power connected to hard drive, floppy and cd-rom.

I have no idea what to do.

I could not find what the original 5 quickly-flashing keyboard LED error was...

Can someone help me please?? I have major important work that has to be done
this weekend
and no computer! I'm on a friend's computer right now.

If anyone can help me, please post here or email me at:

Thanks!

Lucy

Old November 28th 03, 09:04 PM
MrToad

(lucy) Ran in the back door and shouted
:

[...]

Got a different video card to try?

--
MrToad

Old November 28th 03, 09:08 PM
kony

On 28 Nov 2003 19:05:13 GMT, (lucy) wrote:

[...]

it sounds like you're already off to a good start troubleshooting
this, most likely it's the motherboard or power supply. If you have a
voltage meter you might check the power supply voltage levels while
it's in the on-but-no-POST state.

Examine the motherboard for signs of failed capacitors, domed or
vented tops, signs of leaking or residue.

Have there been any major storms recently, perhaps a power surge?

Next unplug the power supply from AC for a few minutes and open it,
inspect it. Did you confirm that it's fan was spinning during
troubleshooting previously? What make/model/capacity is it?

Has anything in the system changed recently, or has it been moved
prior to onset of problems?

Does it smell like burnt popcorn, especially in the power supply?

Dave
Old November 29th 03, 06:21 AM
lucy

it sounds like you're already off to a good start troubleshooting
this, most likely it's the motherboard or power supply. If you have a
voltage meter you might check the power supply voltage levels while
it's in the on-but-no-POST state.

Examine the motherboard for signs of failed capacitors, domed or
vented tops, signs of leaking or residue.

Have there been any major storms recently, perhaps a power surge?

Next unplug the power supply from AC for a few minutes and open it,
inspect it. Did you confirm that it's fan was spinning during
troubleshooting previously? What make/model/capacity is it?

Has anything in the system changed recently, or has it been moved
prior to onset of problems?

Does it smell like burnt popcorn, especially in the power supply?

Dave

You nailed it on the head, Dave! I found 4 capacitors that the top was burst
and the innerds were coming out!

It's Saturday here, so I have to wait until Monday to take it to the shop and
get it repaired - fortunately it's under warranty.

Thanks again!

-Lucy

I need to replace a bad Asus A7V motherboard David Cook General 1 October 31st 03 02:40 AM
Elitegroup Motherboard, Antec&other Power boot ps 1 sec quits paix General 0 October 7th 03 12:48 AM
your motherboard redbuffalo003 General 0 September 21st 03 04:08 PM
Hard drive that boots elsewhere refuses to boot in this machine Simon O'Connor General 9 July 22nd 03 06:34 AM
Help - IWill Motherboard won't boot desertjayne General 0 July 20th 03 07:47 AM