GA-7N400-L will not work in automatic clk setting

Old May 3rd 04, 01:19 AM

In article . net, "Walt E" wrote:
my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked. after
getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon 3000+
proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial), the
proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a soyo
kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

I've built a couple systems on this board.
I liked them, but to get them stable I had to set ram timings manually. You
have to press some key combination to get the options to come up. Dig in the
manual to find it. I could not get boards stable with 400(200)mhz Ram speed
and 333(166)mhz cpu speed. The boards I had wanted ram to run syncronious with
the fsb.
3-4-3-7 timings worked for me at 333 system
3-4-4-8 worked at 400 system
I was using cheap ram in dual channel mode

Good Luck
:-) Greg B.
Old May 3rd 04, 05:25 AM
Dimitris

"Walt E" wrote in message ink.net...
this xp 3000+ DOES have a 400Mhz fsb although the other xp 3000+ does have
a 333Mhz fsb

I think this confuses not only me, but your motherboard as well!. It
detects CPU 3000+ and sets a multiplier 13.0x which is normal for
(166x2)333FSB, but not for (200x2)400FSB (which is 11.0x i think)
which causes the 3000+ cpu to crash since it goes up to 200x13=2.6Ghz
instead of the 2.2Ghz which is the correct speed.
Old May 3rd 04, 05:30 AM
Dimitris

"Walt E" wrote in message ink.net...
this xp 3000+ DOES have a 400Mhz fsb although the other xp 3000+ does have
a 333Mhz fsb

SO if your motherboard have switches to select multiplier, or through
bios to choose the multiplier, set it to 10.0x. Then set FSB(host)
clock to auto.
Old May 3rd 04, 04:43 PM
Walt E

i used the ez flash tool that came with the mobo, crossed my fingers,
grabbed a couple of rabbits feet, prayed and clicked on "update" when i shut
down after the update set the clk_sw to auto, the ratio_sw is set to auto
detect and booted up and it worked. . dont have clue as to why the flash i
did from boot disk didnt work but that is how things go i guess. THANKS TO
ALL OF YOU!!!

ink.net...

Old May 3rd 04, 05:10 PM
jpsga

Oh Yeah .. what do ya mean it worked.
What is the Bus Speed 200mHz??
What is the multiplyer 10X?
Any Sandra numbers?

JPS

"Walt E" wrote in message
ink.net...
i used the ez flash tool that came with the mobo, crossed my fingers,
grabbed a couple of rabbits feet, prayed and clicked on "update" when i

shut
down after the update set the clk_sw to auto, the ratio_sw is set to auto
detect and booted up and it worked. . dont have clue as to why the flash i
did from boot disk didnt work but that is how things go i guess. THANKS TO
ALL OF YOU!!!

ink.net...

Old May 4th 04, 06:44 AM
Walt E

can't get sandra to benchmark (cpu doesn't show up) but the fsb is running
at 2x 200Mhz and the cpu is running at 2.11Ghz and the cpu finally shows up
as a Athlon XP 3000+ stupid bios errors - i hate stupid bios errors!

"jpsga" wrote in message
Oh Yeah .. what do ya mean it worked.
What is the Bus Speed 200mHz??
What is the multiplyer 10X?
Any Sandra numbers?

JPS

"Walt E" wrote in message
ink.net...
i used the ez flash tool that came with the mobo, crossed my

fingers,
grabbed a couple of rabbits feet, prayed and clicked on "update" when i

shut
down after the update set the clk_sw to auto, the ratio_sw is set to

auto
detect and booted up and it worked. . dont have clue as to why the flash

did from boot disk didnt work but that is how things go i guess. THANKS

ALL OF YOU!!!

ink.net...

Old May 4th 04, 01:44 PM
Dimitris

"Walt E" wrote in message ink.net...
can't get sandra to benchmark (cpu doesn't show up) but the fsb is running
at 2x 200Mhz and the cpu is running at 2.11Ghz and the cpu finally shows up
as a Athlon XP 3000+ stupid bios errors - i hate stupid bios errors!

Get wcpuid from www.h-oda.com and tell us the multiplier setting. I
have 3000+ 166x2=333mhz fsb and has multiplier of 13x166=2.17Ghz.
Yours should be 10.5x200=2.1Ghz
Old May 5th 04, 07:46 AM
Walt E

AMD Athlon XP (Model A)
Internal Clock 2104.78 MHz System Clock 200.45MHz System Bus
400.91MHz Multiplier 10.5
all settings on mobo a CLK_SW=Auto RATIO_SW=Default (all off) Thanks
for the tip on the cpu status app!! I bid on and won an FX5900 Ultra Video
card (256Mb) (made by BFG Tech) on ebay hopefully that will improve the
video gaming over my backup vid card (a geforce 4 mx 420) - I had to use
that as my 5700 ultra bit the dust when the fan broke.

"Dimitris" wrote in message
m...

ink.net...