How to install SATA harddrive?

Old May 17th 04, 10:02 PM
Machine Messiah

Default How to install SATA harddrive?

Newegg screwed up and sent me a SATA harddrive instead of the IDE drive
I asked for. (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...p?description=
22-135-106&depa=1, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?
description=22-144-122&depa=1)
Anybody know a of a website that has a good installation tutorial for
this type of drive?
I wonder how much the darn cables will cost.
--
www.newromesucks.com
www.hamsterforpresident.com
Old May 17th 04, 11:09 PM
Cerridwen

Machine Messiah wrote:
Newegg screwed up and sent me a SATA harddrive instead of the IDE
drive I asked for.
(http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...p?description=
22-135-106&depa=1, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?
description=22-144-122&depa=1)
Anybody know a of a website that has a good installation tutorial for
this type of drive?
I wonder how much the darn cables will cost.

And do you have a motherboard that can handle S-ATA? If not, you'll need a
card.

Old May 17th 04, 11:12 PM
S.Heenan

Machine Messiah wrote:
Newegg screwed up and sent me a SATA harddrive instead of the IDE
drive I asked for.
(http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...p?description=
22-135-106&depa=1, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?
description=22-144-122&depa=1)
Anybody know a of a website that has a good installation tutorial for
this type of drive?
I wonder how much the darn cables will cost.

The cables are not very expensive. Your motherboard will need to support
SATA. If it doesn't, you will need a PCI SATA controller.

Old May 18th 04, 02:47 AM
DJS0302

Newegg screwed up and sent me a SATA harddrive instead of the IDE drive
I asked for. (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...p?description=
22-135-106&depa=1, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?
description=22-144-122&depa=1)
Anybody know a of a website that has a good installation tutorial for
this type of drive?
I wonder how much the darn cables will cost.

Can't you send it back? I mean if you have a newer motherboard it may have the
SATA connectors but if it doesn't then why be forced to spend extra money to
fix someone elses mistake?
Old May 18th 04, 03:25 AM
Stacey

Machine Messiah wrote:

Newegg screwed up and sent me a SATA harddrive instead of the IDE drive
I asked for. (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...p?description=
22-135-106&depa=1, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?
description=22-144-122&depa=1)
Anybody know a of a website that has a good installation tutorial for
this type of drive?
I wonder how much the darn cables will cost.

I'd just send it back, they are easy to deal with and the return shipping
will be less than cables..
--

Stacey
Old May 18th 04, 03:39 AM
kony

On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:25:54 -0400, Stacey wrote:

Machine Messiah wrote:

Newegg screwed up and sent me a SATA harddrive instead of the IDE drive
I asked for. (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...p?description=
22-135-106&depa=1, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?
description=22-144-122&depa=1)
Anybody know a of a website that has a good installation tutorial for
this type of drive?
I wonder how much the darn cables will cost.

I'd just send it back, they are easy to deal with and the return shipping
will be less than cables..

They'll refund shipping for this.
Old May 19th 04, 02:39 AM
Stacey

Trent© wrote:

(http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...135-106&depa=1,
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?
description=22-144-122&depa=1) Anybody know a of a website that has a good
installation tutorial for this type of drive? I wonder how much the darn
cables will cost.

The data cable that you need should have come with the drive.

I've never gotten cables with a drive, the cables ussually come with the
mobo.

--

Stacey
Old May 19th 04, 04:32 AM
Machine Messiah

In article ,
says...
(
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...p?description=
22-135-106&depa=1, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?
description=22-144-122&depa=1)
Anybody know a of a website that has a good installation tutorial for
this type of drive?
I wonder how much the darn cables will cost.

And do you have a motherboard that can handle S-ATA? If not, you'll need a
card.

Yes it does.
Old May 19th 04, 04:37 AM
Machine Messiah

In article , djs0302
@aol.comnospam says...
Newegg screwed up and sent me a SATA harddrive instead of the IDE drive
I asked for. (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...p?description=
22-135-106&depa=1, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?
description=22-144-122&depa=1)
Anybody know a of a website that has a good installation tutorial for
this type of drive?
I wonder how much the darn cables will cost.

Can't you send it back? I mean if you have a newer motherboard it may have the
SATA connectors but if it doesn't then why be forced to spend extra money to
fix someone elses mistake?

I think I will send it back. SATA drives are supposed to be a little
faster and the mobo supports thems. I considered buying a sata drive but
decided I didn't feel like trying to figure out how install one and went
with the IDE. Then newegg sends a sata drive anyway sigh I also don't
feel like wasting my time and money to send the drive back to newegg.