Compaq Proliant 800 PPro sever set up

Old May 10th 05, 02:50 PM
Jin Mazumdar

Default Compaq Proliant 800 PPro sever set up

I inherited a Compaq Proliant 800 Pentium Pro server. Initially it came
with one processor and a 68 pin scsi drive. I added a second processor
to it and it ran FreeBSD like a true workhorse for a while. Then the
power supply on it died and I had to transfer the drive to another
machine while I shopped e-bay for a replacement power supply.

I have replaced the power supply and would like to put the machine back
into use. I do not have a spare 68 pin SCSI drive and would like to
disable the on board SCSI controller. The machine also came with a PCI
SCSI controller card by Compaq which is essentially a Adaptec 2940. I
have many 50 pin SCSI drives. I would like to use the PCI SCSI
controller as my main controller and am having great difficulty. The
card is recognized but the drives on it are not so I cannot boot from
it. I also tried an IDE drive and I could not get the initial boot to
go to the drive. I could also never get the second IDE controller to be
recognized on this machine.

I know that this newsgroup has some real experts and I was hopeful that
someone would be able to point me to some step by step instructions on
what software I need to download from Compaq and how to reconfigure this
machine correctly. This would save a perfectly functional computer
from going to the landfill.

TIA

Old May 10th 05, 06:07 PM
Guy Macon

Jin Mazumdar wrote:

[...]

NuTCrAcKeR is the real expert (I am just an engineer who like to muck
around with old servers), but in general the place to start with just
about any Compaq system is with a SmartStart CD. On my model (5500R)
I just booted from the CD and anwered a few questions, and it set up
everything perfectly for Windows and Linux.

Old May 10th 05, 08:41 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

Jin Mazumdar wrote:

[...]

Thanks Guy ...

you wont get IDE HDD support on that server. It doesnt do Int13 support,
just bootable CDROM.

As for using that AHA2940 adapter, the system may not see it as a valid boot
controller. However, you can download SmartStart 5.50 from he

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/fi...sdownloads.asp

Run the System Erase utility first. Then, let the CD setup the system.

You will need to get into the SCU (system configuration utility) to update
the NVRAM with information about the controller. You *might* then be able to
specify your adaptec controller as the FIRST controller. This will make it
bootable. If not, use the oboard SCSI header on the system board, and just
use a 68pin to 50pin converter. Your drives are likely only 20MB/s drives,
so there isnt much value running the 2940 anyway.

Let us know if you need more information.

- LC

Old May 11th 05, 02:49 AM
Jin Mazumdar

[...]

Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestion. The only reason for
my using the AHA2940 is because I do not have a 68 to 50 pin converter.
I think I may be able to get a 4G 68 pin hard drive for about the
cost of the adapter.

I did try to run the SmartStart CD earlier but it hung after printing 6
(?) lines of dots.

I will try to erase the NVRAM and then see if I have any luck with the
SmartStart.

If not, it looks like my only option is to get a 68 pin drive.

I will post my results.

Old May 11th 05, 04:09 AM
Jin Mazumdar

Is the SmartStart 5.5 supposed to be a bootable CD? I used the same
process to transfer the ISO image as I did for SmartStart 7.2. The 7.2
boots and tells me it worn't work for my computer whereas the 5.5 does
not boot.

Old May 11th 05, 04:51 AM
Phil

Yes, it is bootable. You have to use a program to make the CD from the image
file as opposed to copying it to a cd.
Then insert disk and reboot the machine.

Old May 11th 05, 06:04 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

he says he did the same thing for 5.50 as he did for 7.2. it sounds like 7.2
worked, as it reported (correctly) that the PL800 is not supported by 7.2.

put the CD into another comp, and run the Diskette Builder app. You can make
the SystemErase floppy from there.

- LC

.. .

Old May 15th 05, 02:53 AM
Jin Mazumdar

Done that. Ran the System erase. Now what? Do I need to make more
floppies from the Diskette Builder CD? Which one? There are over 20
options.

I believe I also have a set of 5 floppies that I got earlier from
Compaq's site. I believe they are Compaq System Configuration Utility.
Do I run these?

-Jin

Old May 15th 05, 04:41 AM
Jin Mazumdar

Tried that. It does not recognize the 5.5 CD as a valid medium.

Since I erased the NVR I get NVR errors on boot which is OK.
Then it looks for SCSI devices, but does not find any on the second
(PCI) controller. This is OK too as it has not been configured as a
valid controller.
Then it gives an Invalid System Disk error. In other words it does not
see the 5.5 CD as a bootable device.

-Jin