GA K8NXP-SLI SATA bios...?

Old March 3rd 05, 11:07 AM
pixel

Default GA K8NXP-SLI SATA bios...?

will gigabyte be upgrading the bios on this mobo soon so it can boot to
sata...? i've posted this question a while ago but no-one really had a
clue on the subject.

basically windowsXP install can see sata disks but there's no way with
the bios on this board to select sata or scsi as a boot option, so
windows can never boot regardless of whether it installs or not.

the only option in the bios for hard disk boot order is "bootable add-in
cards". we managed to get scsi showing up in the boot order but that was
in jbod single-raid mode and would blue-screen every windows install.

so like i can't understand how a manufacturer could be so incompetent.
do they really not have a clue about components which go on their own
product..? if if a component is from a 3rd party gigabyte is still
totally responsible for testing to see that the said component doesn't
render the features on their motherboard useless.

Old March 3rd 05, 11:29 AM
Richard Dower

"pixel" wrote in message
[...]

Don't understand this, i have the nForce 4 Ultra board K8NXP-9 and it boots
fine. I have two 74GB Raptors running in RAID 0, boots fine, works fine, i
just have a floppy ready with the nForce 6.39 drivers and load both of them.

It works, every single time, i have F4 bios.

Old March 3rd 05, 11:50 AM
pixel

Richard Dower wrote:
"pixel" wrote in message
so like i can't understand how a manufacturer could be so incompetent. do
they really not have a clue about components which go on their own
product..? if if a component is from a 3rd party gigabyte is still totally
responsible for testing to see that the said component doesn't render the
features on their motherboard useless.

Don't understand this, i have the nForce 4 Ultra board K8NXP-9 and it boots
fine. I have two 74GB Raptors running in RAID 0, boots fine, works fine, i
just have a floppy ready with the nForce 6.39 drivers and load both of them.

because you have two sata drives you can use the raid option, and the
raid bios does let you boot from a raid set. unfortunately it won't work
with a single sata drive which can't be striped, the only option for us
was a single drive jbod raid which kept crashing.

still we shouldn't need raid config just to select 'sata' in the bios,
even my 18 month old Pheonix BIOS / VIA K8X800 can boot from a single
sata drive fine.
Old March 3rd 05, 02:06 PM
Richard Dower

"pixel" wrote in message
because you have two sata drives you can use the raid option, and the raid
bios does let you boot from a raid set. unfortunately it won't work with a
single sata drive which can't be striped, the only option for us was a
single drive jbod raid which kept crashing.

still we shouldn't need raid config just to select 'sata' in the bios,
even my 18 month old Pheonix BIOS / VIA K8X800 can boot from a single sata
drive fine.

I'm sure this is pure user error, not setting the bios correctly. First of
all i would disable the IDE/SATA RAID option, and also disable any IDE RAID
options that are set to enable. I'd disable everything else possible you are
not going to use, then i'd have my floppy ready and load both drivers during
F6, though the RAID Class Controller should not be needed.

Old March 4th 05, 06:33 AM
pixel

Richard Dower wrote:
I'm sure this is pure user error, not setting the bios correctly. First of
all i would disable the IDE/SATA RAID option, and also disable any IDE RAID
options that are set to enable.

yep we tried that - there are no options in the bios to set scsi or sata
which is a requirement for sata bootup, so it cannot be user error. if
you've never done a sata install on a single disk with this motherboard
then what the **** would you know?

Old March 4th 05, 07:02 AM
Richard Dower

"pixel" wrote in message

yep we tried that - there are no options in the bios to set scsi or sata
which is a requirement for sata bootup, so it cannot be user error. if
you've never done a sata install on a single disk with this motherboard
then what the **** would you know?

Then stop bitching and buy a second SATA drive and RAID them.

Old March 4th 05, 05:31 PM
BillL

"Richard Dower" wrote in message

"pixel" wrote in message

yep we tried that - there are no options in the bios to set scsi or sata
which is a requirement for sata bootup, so it cannot be user error. if
you've never done a sata install on a single disk with this motherboard
then what the **** would you know?

Then stop bitching and buy a second SATA drive and RAID them.

Because it should be easy to set up a single SATA HDD non-raid system (not
sure the expletive was necessary though)?

FWIW I have a similar setup with one Maxtor SATA HDD as the primary boot
drive and do have problems where it sometimes isn't detected during a warm
reboot (I've emailed Gigabyte's tech support but I don't know if they really
exist - no reply to my query). The problem never occurs during a cold start
up.

It maybe that you've just got a broken mobo - though I'd be interested in
how many people have the same or similar problems with the GA-K8NXP.

BillL

Old March 5th 05, 12:15 AM
Chuck

"pixel" wrote in message

[...]

I have a Wd digital Raptor as a single drive on the Nforce Sata and had
or have no problems booting up with the drive.I disabled raid features
and installed WindowsXP. Ihave a DVD Burner on IDE1, Raptor IDE5 and a
Maxtor Ultra 300gb on IDE7 or 8 not sure. ALthough I do have occasional
problems with a warm reboot detecting the second hard drive. I am
running with F1 bios.
Chuck
Old November 20th 05, 08:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Here is what I did to get my first SATA II drive to work on a
GA-K8NXP-SLI board.

I went to www.giga-byte.com then went to the drivers page and selected
my board mode number. next I found the section listed SATA RAID Driver
and found my OS in the list and down loaded the drivers and then put
them on a disk.

on the system that I was putting together and started my os install,
in my case I did a system with 2K, when Windows shows a prompt for
press F6 to load third party SCSI driver do it and select the
appropriate driver and the proceed on.

During the Windows install it will ask you for the disk you put the
drivers on.

Hope this helps.

Lawrence