New Compaq - No Restoration/OS CD?????

Old June 30th 04, 08:27 AM
Tom Scales

Sure, didn't have a choice!
"HH" wrote in message
.. .
Sorry, Tom. I have to ask. Did you?
HH

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
news
I love your sense of absolute.

Too bad you're wrong.

Even my Compaq Armada 4141T from 1996 didn't come with any disks.

You had to create 35 floppies!

"Sseaott" wrote in message
That comment doesn't even make sense. All computers come with either
restore cd's and the OS CD or at least restore CD's. To say that they

dont
is just a lie.

Dude, call Compaq and get you some CD's! I just bought one and it

came
with
both restore and OS.

"HH" wrote in message
.. .
Many new Presarios do not have them. If yours came with a CD/DVD

burner,
it
likely has software to create your own Restore CDs/DVDs. Shoulda

done
that
first thing. You might call Compaq support. They may have a Recovery

CD
for
your Presario which will work with the Restore Partition

(Presario_RP).
HH

"LS" wrote in message
Bought a new Compaq Presario last month and because of some

problems,
am
told I need to do a complete Restoration. Problem is, I never

got
any
Restoration CD or OS CD with this system. Was I suppose to????

Got the system at Orifice Depot.

Regards and thanks in advance....
LS

Old June 30th 04, 11:10 AM
HH

I remember those Armadas well, even though they were commercial laptops and
we in Consumer ES had no support role there. FYI, remember that Win 98 (or
was it 95?) also was available on floppies, 29 of 'em!
HH

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Sure, didn't have a choice!
.. .

"Sseaott" wrote in message
That comment doesn't even make sense. All computers come with

either
restore cd's and the OS CD or at least restore CD's. To say that

they
dont
is just a lie.

Dude, call Compaq and get you some CD's! I just bought one and it

came
with
both restore and OS.

.. .

Old July 1st 04, 04:12 PM
MIL

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:25:24 -0500, "LS" wrote:

I never got any
Restoration CD or OS CD with this system. Was I suppose to????

Hummmm.... I never came up against that situation before. After
reading all the above replies to your question, it would seem that
"Maybe" they don't provide them.

However, I have NEVER, EVER owned a system, either commercial build or
local build that did NOT come with the original installed OS disk(s)
and a Restoration/Recovery disk(s). Maybe I have just been lucky but
I always assumed that it was a given that you get these with a new
system as I always have gotten them.

I would say that any computer distributor that doesn't provide such a
basic set of CD's with a new system should be viewed as a questionable
supplier of systems. Even Box Builders such as Gateway and Dell
provide a basic set of CD's to get you back to where you were on the
first day of your system's life if you need such a recovery done.
Even the local builders to my community provide you with the original
OS disk (YOU PAID FOR) and a Restoration Disk(s) to the system they
just built for you.

I would close is saying that....... reputable box builders provide
such sets to the consumers with their new systems. Look at it another
way.... You got a system under warranty. Something goes wrong and
all that would be needed to get back to normal is a restoration. By
not providing you with such a basic thing as a set of restoration/OS
CDs, the box builder is now going to have to spend time and money
dealing with a problem under warranty that you could have taken care
of by yourself if you would have been provided what I suggest is
normal to reputable box builders, a basic set of recovery disks and a
copy of the OS you paid for.

Regards,
MIL
Old July 1st 04, 06:20 PM
HH

Presarios have seldom, if ever, come with ANY operating system discs.
At one time, all came with QuickRestore CDs (first packaged with a boot
floppy, then being made bootable themselves), then Compaq stopped including
them, just including a Recovery CD.
This CD required the compressed image folders on the hard drive's
system_sav partition to do a restore.
Many of the newer models do not even have the Recovery CD, just software
that allows users to burn their own QuickRestore CDs.
HH

Old July 4th 04, 01:55 AM
Mongo

MIL wrote:
I have been asked to look at a 7400 for a friend. This, because of age,
didn't land in my lap with OS or REstore disks (if it ever had any). I
did notice that the Win98Se files are stored in c:\windows\options dir.
There was no setup.exe I am thinking that the 7400 probably came with
a floppy that initialised a restore/setup via this dir. Does anyone
know if this is true? Also I can't get it to boot from CD, the bios
allows for this but I can't get it to happen. Is this something i'm
missing? The floppy is no longer a virgin and my attempts to try an OEM
floppy drive failed. I assume your supposed to buy an original spare. I
don't usually play with propriety systems. Any hints welcomed
Old July 5th 04, 03:09 PM
terry_b17

hi,
the internet is full of horror stories or hp and compaq owners without
true system restore cds . a google search for presario recovery or
pavilion recovery will bury you in results . if you are a presario or
pavilion owner i would immediately contact hp/compaq support and
request your complete recovery disk set before you experience hdd
problems and find you have to go shopping for an os .
good luck,
terry

==============
Old July 5th 04, 05:19 PM
David Efflandt

On 5 Jul 2004, terry_b17 wrote:
hi,
the internet is full of horror stories or hp and compaq owners without
true system restore cds . a google search for presario recovery or
pavilion recovery will bury you in results . if you are a presario or
pavilion owner i would immediately contact hp/compaq support and
request your complete recovery disk set before you experience hdd
problems and find you have to go shopping for an os .
good luck,
terry

Or if you have CD or DVD writer, you should make the recovery CD's or
Recovery Tools CD and Recovery DVD before going online at all (to avoid
being infected by many worms that infect through open ports or insecure
browser, without even touching e-mail).

I forget if I did that for XP Home on my HP PC before or after 64-bit XP
Pro beta corrupted my partition table (changed heads and cylinders), so it
could not reboot itself or XP Home. But I was lucky enough to fix my
partition table from a Linux rescue CD, with a bit of guessing, and no
data loss. So be cautious before even trying any Windows beta versions or
updates (some people have had some sort of trouble with XP SP2 beta
updates).

Old July 9th 04, 12:29 AM
Mark

The absence of restore capability did not set well with a number of
Compaq customers. For a time, it was available if you BOUGHT CD's for
the purpose. Take a look at--
http://www.compaqqrsettlement.com

Some of you may qualify!

-Mark

Old July 10th 04, 07:37 AM
TheGarbageGuy

Or as with my Brother in Laws HP....The restore/OS was tucked away INSIDE
the case. Yes indeed, very useful when you're trying to fix a problem!!
And the worst part was if he'd of known and opened his HP...the warranty
would've been void.

Hope this helps

With best regards, TheGarbageGuy. E-mail:

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 27th 04 06:21 PM
Compaq FAQ ** New Link HH Compaq Computers 0 June 19th 04 11:47 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 5th 04 11:17 AM
Compaq FAQ ** NEW INFO** HH Compaq Computers 0 May 15th 04 11:56 AM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM