System Keeps Rebooting GA-8IK1100

Old April 4th 04, 11:25 AM
Dimitris

"juzuz" wrote in message thlink.net...
Hi,

I just put in a new mobo and cpu in my system. I'll give the specs below.
When I boot up, it POSTs, properly detects my hard drives and cd-roms and
then it goes to a prompt that tells me Windows did not properly load on the
previous attempt. It asks me to select from normally starting Windows, or
Safe Mode, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt or Safe Mood with Network
Support. No matter which I select, the systems just reboots and we repeat
this process over and over. What can be the problem? I have tried:
1. unhooking all IDE devices but my primary hard drive
2. putting the primary HD jumper to Master, Cable Select and none
3. using a different IDE cable

My systems specs a

Gigabyte mobo, GA-81k1100
P4 2.8 w/hyper threading
1 gig of memory (PC2700) installed in two channels
WD Caviar 80 GB HD - master
WD 40 GB HD - slave
FDD
Sony DVD burner
Sony cd-rom
Windows XP Professional
Zoom 56K modem
ATI Radeon 9200 128 mg video card

I would appreciate any suggestions to get this baby up and running again!
Thanks!!
Sally

I think that the computer would be able(99%) at least to get into safe
mode even if you have changed the mobo.It might be the case of a
virus.Check your pc with disks made by Norton or other antivirus
soft(you have got to go to another pc with norton install to make the
disks).
Second possibility is something is wrong with your hardware
configuration. Try these:
1) Set AGP to 4x(or 2x if possible). Disable Agp fastwrites.(bios
settings)
2) Try a stronger Power Supply. One with P=480W
3) Try other memory slots in your mobo or other memory dimms(if you
have available).
4) Try running in single ddr channel mode.It might be the case
memories cant synchronize for dual channel operation.
5) Try one memory module at a time(and single channel operation
ofcourse).
6) Check Temperatures(Cpu , mobo).
Old April 4th 04, 08:16 PM
Russell

Hi Sally,

Ok, what type of hard drive are you attempting to boot from (SATA or IDE),
and to which port on the motherboard do you have it connected? (IDE1, IDE2,
SATA SB0 or SATA SB1.) You must set your motherboard's BIOS to be able to
boot from the drive. To verify this enter your motherboard's BIOS by
pressing the DEL key during the initial POST routine. When you're in,
select "Advanced BIOS Features" and set your hard disk boot priority, then
set your 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot devices to include Floppy, CDROM and Hard
Disk.

Then go into the "Integrated Peripherals" submenu and make sure that any
IDE/SATA ports are enabled, and IF your hard drive is an SATA drive, set the
on-chip SATA to Manual, then set SATA0 as SATA Port 0 and SATA1 as SATA Port
1. Then set SATA RAID function to enabled, and Save and Exit your BIOS. No
need to fiddle with SATA settings if you don't have an SATA drive installed.

Also, if your boot hard drive is IDE, make sure that the master/slave jumper
is set properly relating to where it is connected on the IDE cable.

Start by viewing your BIOS setting as mentioned above, then re-try the
repair installation. Let us know how things go. One more thing, when the
repair installation reboots, DO NOT press any key to BOOT FROM CD when
prompted, as that will start everything from scratch all over again. Let it
try to boot from the hard drive by not pressing anything.

Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

"juzuz" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Russell,

When I attempt to do this, it loads the necessary files and then reboots.
It just won't stop rebooting! Any other suggestions?

Saly

"Russell" rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith "." wrote in
message news:MeHbc.174617$_w.1816021@attbi_s53...
Hi Sally,

You must do a repair install if you've installed a different motherboard

and
haven't formatted your hard drive and performed a clean operating system
installation (which is preferred, by the way.) To perform a repair
installation of Windows XP on a hard drive that was working before you
changed out the motherboard, see the instructions on my web site at
http://tastycomputers.com/support/fa...airinstall.htm.

I hope this helps,
Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

Old April 4th 04, 09:13 PM
Udo Kammer

Ok, what type of hard drive are you attempting to boot from (SATA or IDE),

It is not the HD, it is the chipset. If you can read in
.net she has
changed from Asus P4S533 with SIS to the Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 with
intel. Without a repair installation of XP and the installation of the
intel chipsetdriver the computer will not boot.

Udo Kammer
Old April 4th 04, 10:11 PM
Russell

Yes, I told her to do a repair installation due to the changed chipset, but
she can't even do that without rebooting. In order for her to be able to
complete the repair installation and install the Intel chipset drivers, she
will have to have set her boot device settings correctly in her
motherboard's BIOS in order for her to get past the 1st reboot when doing
either a repair installation or a clean installation.

Russell Sullivan
http://tastycomputers.com

Old April 4th 04, 11:08 PM
juzuz

All:
I happened to have a brand new, never used Seagate HD here. I disconnected
my WD and attached the Seagate. I booted from the Win XP cd-rom and allowed
it to install the setup files. I selected a new installation of WinXP. It
got to "Please wait. . ." and went no further for over 8 minutes. I
rebooted, letting it attempt to boot from the Seagate HD and it gets to
Verifying DMI Pool Data and goes no farther.

Any suggestions? I'm beginning to think I have a defective MOBO? And I'm
getting desperate too!

Sally

Old April 4th 04, 11:27 PM
Russell

Sally,

If you're getting the freeze-up while clean installation or repair
installation is verifying the DMI pool data, this likely points to either
the settings/jumpers for the hard drive are not correct, the boot devices
aren't set correctly in BIOS, or there's a problem with cabling the hard
drive. As I said before, you must set your motherboard's BIOS to be able to

Old April 5th 04, 12:32 AM
juzuz

Russell,

I have set the MOBO's BIOS to boot from the Seagate. It detects it while
posting and it is listed in the BIOS correctly as well. I have the boot
order set as floppy, cd-rom and hard disk.

The SATA is enabled, I skipped the other parts as this drive is an IDE
device. The IDE ports are also enabled. I checked the cabling to be sure
it was also correctly attached, and it is. I used the cable that came with
the MOBO, it is red instead of the old blue. I set the HD to cable select
(I did have it set to Master). No matter which way I set the HD jumper, it
freezes at Verifying DMI Pool. Should I reset the CMOS?

Sally

"Russell" rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith "." wrote in
message news:%Y%bc.75881$JO3.40608@attbi_s04...

Old April 5th 04, 01:05 AM
Russell

Hi Sally,

First, do you have the other older hard drive attached while trying to
install the clean installation onto your new IDE Seagate Drive? There's
also a separate section in BIOS that chooses the boot order of installed
hard drives. You should be sure that the drive you want to boot from is at
the top of the list by selecting it and pressing the + key to move it up on
the boot list. It could be set to look for the older drive if it's hooked
up, and that would cause the confusion that the Windows XP install routine
is having at recognizing a valid master boot record on the hard drive.

The plug on the supplied Gigabyte IDE cable that is furthest away from the 2
other plugs should be plugged into the red IDE1 port on your motherboard,
and the plug on the other end of the cable should be plugged into the master
drive (boot hard drive preferably.) The middle plug can be plugged into
another IDE/ATAPI drive as the slave. Make sure that both connected drives
are either jumpered as cable select, or make sure that the end drive is
jumpered as master (some drives have a separate jumper called "single" to be
used if that drive isn't sharing the IDE cable with another device) and the
middle drive (if connected) is jumpered as slave.

If you still can't get the drive to boot on its own after the first WinXP
installation routine reboot, or if it hangs up again on the "verifying DMI
pool data" portion, perhaps a clearing of the CMOS might help. You'd have
to disconnect power from your system, take out the round CMOS battery from
the MOBO, then wait a minute or so before replacing. You'd then have to go
into the BIOS menu when powering up again to set your settings again.

I hope you get up and running. Post back with results. I have some
commitments I need to deal with this evening, but will check in occasionally
to see what's up.

Russell

Old April 5th 04, 01:25 AM
juzuz

Russell,

I don't have the old WD drive attached at all. In the BIOS, the Seagate is
set to be the first hard drive. When trying to install WinXP on this drive,
it loads the files and then when asked if you want to do a new install or
repair, I hit enter for new and it reboots! If I try to let it boot from
the HD, it tells me that ntldr is not found and to ctrl-alt-del to restart.

I have the cable attached properly. I have one HD set to cable select, the
other is slave but I'll change them around and see if that makes a
difference. I also attached the new cable that came with the Seagate and
still no luck there either.

After this, I'm going to clear the CMOS and see if that sorts out the
trouble. I've built/upgraded 6 systems over the years and to date, this has
been the most challenging and frustrating of all! When I get through this,
I won't upgrade or build again for a long, long, time. yeah, right! :-)

Sally

Old April 5th 04, 02:33 AM
juzuz

Hi Russell,

Resetting the CMOS did nothing either. Kept the battery out for 10 minutes,
put it in, reset everything in the BIOS, let Windows XP run like a new
install, get to the Installing Windows (after selecting to do a new install)
and it says, "Please wait" and goes no further. If I reboot and let it try
to boot from the HD it tells me that "ntldr" is missing. I am at a complete
loss over this. I just don't know what is wrong!

Sally