GA-8KNXP, how to configure BIOS for SATA?

Old October 6th 03, 07:42 AM
Orhan

Hi,
All the posts in this group are great.But there are still no answers
to my questions. And sorry again for my poor English and
misunderstandings, if any.

Here is my problem again:
My single SATA drive (Maxtor 120GB)is connected to SATA0-SB (Intel
Controller) and configured as IDE Primary Master, because there is no
Intel SATA Driver for 98SE. All the other controllers (Silicon Image
and ITE) are disabled.I don't have any other HDD's.

I tested my Maxtor SATA as PATA using Roadkil's Disk Speed.Here are
the results:
Linear Read 55 MB/sec
Random Read 2.5 MB/sec
Access Time 10.06 ms
Overall Score 5569
(All results for partition E)

I think, the access time is bad compared to other SATA drives
configured as SATA (ca. 7-8 ms).

Well. Which controller do I have to choose? Do I have to use the
Silicon Image Controller for a better performance under 98SE? Should I
disable On-Chip SATA (Intel Controller) if changing to SATA0-SII
(Silicon Image Controller)?

Another problem:
I connected my Pioneer DVD-120RD as recommended to IDE2 using the
IDE100 cable with red end from Gigabyte. It's the Sec. Master device.
Unfortunately, GA-8KNXP detects this DMA66 device as DMA33 drive.
What's wrong? I have F5 BIOS. Should I upgrade to F6?
Gigabyte Support didn't yet answer this question.

I would be grateful for any helps.

Orhan

"Taliska" wrote in message ...
Hi,

If I follow these settings then my HD disappears and Windoze will not
load. With a single HD on the SATA0_SB connector it must be mapped to
IDE Pri. Master

Well the reason for that will be the fact that you don't have the drivers
loaded to use the SATA drives as SATA drives. When you have the remapping
active, then Windows won't know any better and with think that the SATA
drive is just a PATA drive - good for backwards compatibility with say DOS,
but not so good really as Lone Wolf pointed out as he finds that it slows
down the access to the drive.

In reality, you'll be losing PATA connectivity - so for each remapped SATA
drive, you lose two PATA drives. Anyway - you paid good money for all this
SATA & PATA connectivity, try to use the SATAs as SATAs and PATAs as PATAs.

I've got Windows XP Professional and I needed to install the Intel SATA
drivers during the install process - it all works (most of the time). I use
my 1st PATA Master (IDE-0) for a DVD-RAM drive, and the 2nd PATA Master
(IDE-2) for an ageing CD drive - thus the old CD will not slow the new DVD
down.

Hope this helps.

Taliska

"Michael Len" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
Taliska wrote:"The settings a

For Intel Raid Controller:
OnChip SATA [Manual]
SATA Port 0 configure as [SATA Port 0]
SATA RAID Function [Enabled]

The [Manual] will allow you to enter [SATA Port 0] and will stop any

attempt
to remap it to the normal IDE 0 (PATA). The [Enabled] on the RAID function
has the effect of making it bootable."
If I follow these settings then my HD disappears and Windoze will not
load. With a single HD on the SATA0_SB connector it must be mapped to
IDE Pri. Master

I found that enabling the other Raid controllers [which don't have
anything connected] only made the boot-up time longer as the system
wasted time searching for nonexistent devices.

Lone VVolf wrote:
Great post...but one comment:

You mentioned: It is *generally* better to use the Intel Controller as

SATA
drives and not
mapped over the PATA drives - as it allows you to use PATA devices at

the
same time (i.e. most (all?) DVD and CD Drives).

I did some testing of my system where the HD is mapped as IDE0, and I

have
also found that there is about a 50% performance hit to the HD in this

mode
(compared to online benchmarks...I will test the same in S-ATA mode in a
little while). That's a big reason not to use it that way.

"Taliska" wrote in message

Hi,

Yes, it's a total pain... I've got F5 BIOS and my machine will boot off

my
SATA drive on the Intel Controller for XP. It is pretty reliable, but
occasionally the BIOS won't find the second SATA drive on the Intel
Controller. I have DVD-RAM and CD-ROM drives on the Intel PATA

Controller
(IDE 0 & IDE 2).

I found that if I enabled all RAID controllers, then I would get all the
Boot Order options correctly displayed and no blank options. I don't
actually have any drives attached to the Silicon Image SATA Controller,

and

I have 1 old HDD on the ITE RAID controller (clearly not in a RAID

config
then!)

In the Boot Order, there can be 3 options:
Intel RAID Controller
ITE RAID Controller
Silicon Image RAID Controller
That's the order I have them.

The settings a

For Intel Raid Controller:
OnChip SATA [Manual]
SATA Port 0 configure as [SATA Port 0]
SATA RAID Function [Enabled]

The [Manual] will allow you to enter [SATA Port 0] and will stop any

attempt

to remap it to the normal IDE 0 (PATA). The [Enabled] on the RAID

function
has the effect of making it bootable.

For the Silicon Image RAID Controller (SATA):
Onboard H/W SATA [Enabled]
Serial ATA Function [BASE]

The [Enabled] option will make the Controller appear in the Boot Order.

personally don't care what the [BASE] means as I have no drives attached

the Silicon Image RAID Controller. I'd guess it means single drives not
RAIDed.

For the ITE RAID Controller (PATA):
Onboard H/W GigaRAID [Enabled]
GigaRAID Function [ATA]

The [Enabled] option will make the Controller appear in the Boot Order.

The

[ATA] option makes the drives appear as single drives and not as part of

RAID (as far as I know).

It is *generally* better to use the Intel Controller rather than the

Silicon

Image Controller as it's faster (doesn't clog the PCI bus?)

It is *generally* better to use the Intel Controller as SATA drives and

not

mapped over the PATA drives - as it allows you to use PATA devices at

the
same time (i.e. most (all?) DVD and CD Drives).

It is *generally* better to use the normal (Intel) PATA drives rather

than
the ITE RAID Controller PATA drives as it doesn't clog the PCI bus.

I don't think that you can (well not when I tried anyway) put DVD / CD
drives on the ITE chip either.

SATA remap to PATA is useful if your O/S can't work with SATA drives
directly.

I think that's all - things may have changed with F6 - if anyone can

correct

anything that I've said, then you're most welcome.

Taliska

-----------------------

"Michael Len" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...

Orhan this is very confusing. I found this out by trial and error: In
the BIOS "SATA Port0 Configure as" - refers to the Intel Ich5R
controller, "onboard H/W SATA" refers to the Silicon Image controller,
"GigaRAID Function" refers to the IDE RAID controller.
My set up: 1 SATA HD on SATA0_SB, "On-chip SATA" set to manual, "SATA
Port0 Configure as" set to IDE Pri. Master, "SATA RAID Function" set to
disabled. With the F6 Bios "Serial ATA Function" disappeared but I had
it set to BASE previously. I have WINXP.

Orhan wrote:

I have to set the SATA RAID function as disabled, if SATA Port0
configured as IDE Pri. Master. Do you mean Serial ATA function as
RAID? Should I set it as BASE? Does it matter if SATA RAID already
disabled?

Could you tell me please, which functions have Onboard H/W SATA
(Enabled/Disabled) and Serial ATA Function (RAID/BASE)? Could they be
for Silicon Image SataRaid Controller?

Orhan

"Taliska" wrote in message

Apologies, checking the BIOS settings are trickly when answering a

post...

:-)

Wasn't clear enough, you enable the RAID, but don't actually make a

RAID.

Taliska

"Tim" wrote in message

I went around this issue tons of times before I got it to work.
The *only* way it works on *this* mobo is with the Intel SATA as

RAID -

even

though I am not using raid. This is completely contrary to what you

are

saying, to what I was expecting, and how other SATA / PATA RAID

controllers

work. With the Intel SATA as IDE, the standard IDE1 and 2

disappear!!!!!!!!

This had me absolutely miffed for weeks 'cos it meant I had not

choice

but

to use that horrid ITE device as an IDE device, which in turn

elongated

my

boot times by 22 or so seconds.

I am more than happy to be proven wrong, but would suspect something

else

has been fixed first (EG m/b revision, bios).
I use F6 bios.

- Tim

"Taliska" wrote in message

IE when the intel SATA controller is configured as RAID you can

boot

of
it,

if it is not, it has to be set to IDEx to boot and that removes

the

real

IDEx from your machine.

Nope, nope....

Set the SATA to Manual and enable it - don't set it up as a RAID.

You

can

then boot off it as a SATA drive and still have all your IDE's

available.
If

you can't set the boot order 'cos you can't see it, then enable all

RAID

controllers.

Taliska

"Tim" wrote in message

So, if SATA0_SB is Pri Master, you will no doubt not see IDE1.
If SATA0_SB is configured as SATA0, then your disc is not

recognised.

The onchip SATA controller works best if it is configured as RAID

even

if

you do not have a RAID config.
Unlike the ITE / Gigabyte controller which is absolutely stupid

the

Intel

one is smart enought to see and run with ordinary non raid discs.

You

should

install the intel RAID drivers under XP in this config.

IE when the intel SATA controller is configured as RAID you can

boot

of
it,

if it is not, it has to be set to IDEx to boot and that removes

the

real

IDEx from your machine.

Clear?

BTW: when you look at the mobo in a tower case with the PCI's on

the

left,

CPU towards the top, the SATA0_SB connector is the 'top right'

one.

- Tim

"Orhan" wrote in message
news:f9605598.0309190749.18854a4d@posting. google.com...

Hi,

I have a Maxtor 120GB SATA HDD and GA-8KNXP motherboard. I

configured

SATA Port0 as IDE Pri. Master in BIOS, because I couldn't install

XP

when remapped this to SATA0 (XP installer can't find my HDD).
How can I use my HDD as a SATA drive and not as PATA

(DMA100)-without

crashing my system- ? I run a dual boot system (98SE+XP) and it

works

fine except that SATA problem.
There is no SATA option available under Boot Order in BIOS

(anyhow
disappeared!)
I am not sure,which connector did I connect my SATA drive to. But

think, to SATA0-SB. Is there any difference?
Gigabyte Technical Support says I should upgrade my F5 BIOS to

F6.
Would that be a solution for me? In User's Manual of GA-8KNXP I

read

that this port must be remapped to SATA0 when running XP or later

OS

only. What if dual booting? And why didn't XP find my SATA HDD?
What is the right setting for BIOS?