Humming sound through speakers when Mouse is active or....

Old March 25th 11, 10:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Bob Smith[_3_]

Default Humming sound through speakers when Mouse is active or....

Hello, I think my computer isn't grounded but I checked the power cord
and its plugged into a 3 prong (grounded) outlet. Still I hear Humming
sound through speakers when Mouse is active or when I drag windows or
item. Please advise. TIA!
Old March 25th 11, 11:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Bob Smith wrote:
Hello, I think my computer isn't grounded but I checked the power cord
and its plugged into a 3 prong (grounded) outlet. Still I hear Humming
sound through speakers when Mouse is active or when I drag windows or
item. Please advise. TIA!

Bring up the mixer panel, and mute all the inputs, then retest.

I have a Linux LiveCD environment, that does something like that,
namely, every time you move the mouse, you hear "musical" sound
effects in the background. (Not all the LiveCDs I have, do that,
just the one.)

In comparison, if I run Windows, there are no sounds. And the
difference could well be, the muting of the inputs.

The mixer panel can have a couple rows of controls in it,
and make sure you're muting the correct ones, for it to be effective.
For example, there is a Playback "Line-In" and a Record "Line-In".
There can also be things like "Stereo-Mix", which could be the
feature that loops the input signals, back to the speakers.
It may have been referred to at some point as "What You Hear"
or the like ? In any case, the Windows control panel has plenty
of controls to play with.

In rare cases, the problem is a design issue, such as the
LAN wires on the motherboard, being too close to the audio
circuit tracks.

You could also be right, that the issue is grounding. I have
even had problems here, where, when you shut down the computer
and the computer (amplified) speakers are still powered, you
can hear a local radio station. Implying a semiconductor junction
somewhere is rectifying the signal from a local radio station.
I don't have an answer, for where that is coming from, and the
best way to solve it.

So if you're lucky, it'll just be an input "flapping in the breeze",
and clicking the mute button underneath the slider, will quiet it.
When recording with your sound system, you only need to "open" an
input when you're using it. So leaving all the inputs unmuted
all the time, isn't a necessity.

Paul
Old March 25th 11, 02:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Bob Smith[_3_]

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 04:04:20 -0500, Bob Smith wrote:

Hello, I think my computer isn't grounded but I checked the power cord
and its plugged into a 3 prong (grounded) outlet. Still I hear Humming
sound through speakers when Mouse is active or when I drag windows or
item. Please advise. TIA!

i FORGOT TO POST MY CORE.

Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
DualCore AMD Athlon II X2 255, 3100 MHz (15.5 x 200)
Old March 25th 11, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Bob Smith wrote:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 04:04:20 -0500, Bob Smith wrote:

Hello, I think my computer isn't grounded but I checked the power cord
and its plugged into a 3 prong (grounded) outlet. Still I hear Humming
sound through speakers when Mouse is active or when I drag windows or
item. Please advise. TIA!

i FORGOT TO POST MY CORE.

Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
DualCore AMD Athlon II X2 255, 3100 MHz (15.5 x 200)

And if it's not a mixer setting issue, there is always one of these.
This would be useful, if you really have multiple grounds, and the
audio amp or device is on a different power strip or outlet.

"Ground Loop Isolator"
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062214

Mouse movement, should cause higher frequency noises, noises that
wouldn't be confused with 60Hz or 50Hz hum. Mouse noises would be
picked up on an "open input", and using the mute in the mixer
can stop that in some cases.

Paul
Old April 2nd 11, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Bill[_30_]

Bob Smith wrote:
Hello, I think my computer isn't grounded but I checked the power cord
and its plugged into a 3 prong (grounded) outlet. Still I hear Humming
sound through speakers when Mouse is active or when I drag windows or
item. Please advise. TIA!

I am well-aware of how annoying the problem is! I had that problem with
my P55A-UD4P board. Turn off the CPU fan management (or whatever it's
called) and and set the BIOS so your CPU fan set to ALWAYS ON, and your
problem will GO AWAY! It worked for me... Good luck!

Bill
Old April 2nd 11, 04:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Bill wrote:
Bob Smith wrote:
Hello, I think my computer isn't grounded but I checked the power cord
and its plugged into a 3 prong (grounded) outlet. Still I hear Humming
sound through speakers when Mouse is active or when I drag windows or
item. Please advise. TIA!

I am well-aware of how annoying the problem is! I had that problem with
my P55A-UD4P board. Turn off the CPU fan management (or whatever it's
called) and and set the BIOS so your CPU fan set to ALWAYS ON, and your
problem will GO AWAY! It worked for me... Good luck!

Bill

If that is the case, you may also want to run a DPC latency check.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

It could be, that the motherboard fan control is implemented in
an SMM routine. SMM basically preempts the OS for a fraction
of a second (it's all powerful). Improper code design in SMM
mode, can make a motherboard useless for real time applications.
And disrupting sound, is just one example. SMM allows "BIOS code"
to run, while you're using your computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Management_Mode

When Gigabyte had problems like this in the past (bad DPC results),
a BIOS update sometimes fixed it.

When my system is idle, my chart really does look something like this.
If I alt-tab out of a game, sometimes I'll see one really bad latency
spike, as the video card mode is changed. A DPC cannot get serviced,
while in SMM mode, so the size of the DPC average spiking, can be
indirect evidence of "too much SMM".

http://www.thesycon.de/dpclat/dpclat1.jpg

Paul
Old April 3rd 11, 06:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Bill[_30_]

Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
Bob Smith wrote:
[...]

Paul,

It was not a latency problem. It was more like a "radio station"
problem. (Obviously) I am not a EE. I think some sort of sensor whose
job it was to determine how fast the CPU fan needed to be was picking up
frequencies caused by mouse actions (and other devices like the HDD).
If you turned the volume on your computer ALL the way up you would
probably simulate the problem, if you have a corded mouse (at least my
older computers acted that way).
Hope I've adequately described the problem..I'm just glad my system
doesn't suffer from it anymore. Someone else's post, probably on
tomshardware.com, helped me locate the solution almost a year ago.

Bill