Abit NF7S

Old December 21st 10, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Bolooser55[_2_]

Default Abit NF7S

Good day,
I have always used motherboards with IDE hard drives and nows someone gave
me an Abit NF7S I want to use with a IDE HD. Do I need all the Sil and Sata
drivers on the Abit site or do I just need to install the Nforce chipset.
I also do not know where the lan driver is to be found and installed or does
it come with the Nforce chipset ?
I sincerely do not know which drivers to install for this mobo. There is
right now a Geforce 6800 on it which I do not need so I want to take it out,
format the HD and install Win2K as there is XP on it now and I want
Win2K.All I do is writing and some Internet, no games.
Thanks a lot

Old December 21st 10, 04:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
peter

The Nforce drivers include the LAN drivers.
If your taking out the 6800 video what are you replacing it with??
I would load the SATA drivers anyways just in case I decide to buy a SATA
drive and they are easier to load during a new OS installation.
good luck
peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

Old December 21st 10, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Bolooser55 wrote:
Good day,
I have always used motherboards with IDE hard drives and nows someone gave
me an Abit NF7S I want to use with a IDE HD. Do I need all the Sil and Sata
drivers on the Abit site or do I just need to install the Nforce chipset.
I also do not know where the lan driver is to be found and installed or does
it come with the Nforce chipset ?
I sincerely do not know which drivers to install for this mobo. There is
right now a Geforce 6800 on it which I do not need so I want to take it out,
format the HD and install Win2K as there is XP on it now and I want
Win2K.All I do is writing and some Internet, no games.
Thanks a lot

I'm going to pretend the Abit site, doesn't have good info any more.
I would start with a web site, from someone who used to maintain an
Nforce2 motherboard from Asus. And searching the Nvidia site, it
doesn't appear a driver past 4.27, was offered for Win2K.

http://web.archive.org/web/200805090...q.html#Drivers

nForce2 WinXP=Forceware 5.10 Win2K=Forceware 4.27

Your motherboard could use an entirely different LAN. Again, without going into
details, motherboards may support a LAN MAC layer inside the Southbridge,
or choose to use a completely independent, external LAN chip. You have to
check the motherboard manual, or, even do a visual inspection, to
see what LAN chip is used.

So, let's start by downloading this.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win2k_4.27

I got this file as a download, then opened the archive with 7-ZIP.
7-ZIP is a convenient tool for inspecting ZIP files, reading README
files and so on. I use this, before double clicking anything.

( 7ZIP, if you need it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7zip -- http://www.7-zip.org/ )

http://http.download.nvidia.com/Wind...QL_english.exe

"This nForce Win2K/XP driver package contains the below components:

Audio driver version 4.31 (WHQL)
Audio utility version 4.31
Win2K ethernet driver version 4.16 (WHQL)
WinXP ethernet driver version 4.16 (WHQL)
Win2K ethernet NRM driver version 4.16 (WHQL)
WinXP ethernet NRM driver version 4.16 (WHQL)
Network management tools version 4.16
GART driver version 3.77 (WHQL) with updated uninstaller files
Memory controller driver version 3.38 (WHQL) with updated uninstaller files
SMBus driver version 4.04 (WHQL) with updated uninstaller files
Installer version 4.38
Win2K IDE 2.5 driver version 4.15 (WHQL) with updated uninstaller files
WinXP IDE 2.5 driver version 4.12 (WHQL) with updated uninstaller files

Jumbo installers like that, may present a dialog, with tick boxes. That
allows you to only install the bits you need, without taking anything
which will cause later regrets.

OK, so if I navigate to the IDE/Win2K folder, I can see a "txtsetup.oem" file.
What you'd do, is copy all the files from that folder, onto a floppy diskette.
That appears to be an NVidia RAID driver of some sort. The "txtsetup.oem" is a
sign that you've located a "press F6 and offer this floppy", for
Windows installation.

You can make two attempts to install Win2K. The way I'd try, is set the
BIOS so that the IDE interfaces are in a non-RAID mode. Then attempt to
install Win2K *without* using the floppy. For stability and compatibility,
use the built-in Windows IDE driver if possible. If you can't reboot
the fresh install, and get some kind of 7E "no boot volume" kind of error,
you'd try the install a second time, press F6 early in the install when
prompted, and plug in the floppy with the 20 files on it. For this
particular case, Windows will "go to the floppy" twice, because there
are two layers to that particular driver stack. If you were using
NVidia RAID, chances are the driver would be a "pseudo-SCSI" type.
So if Windows doesn't appear to recognize the vanilla IDE interface
on the NF8-S, you can always try the floppy. Using 7-ZIP, I can extract
that folder and then copy the files. If done properly, the "txtsetup.oem"
file will be at the top level of the floppy, and the 20 files
will be flat at the top of the floppy directory levels.

A:
txtsetup.oem
nvatabus.inf
nvatabus.sys --- Google this for more info

I can get some specs of a sort, from an archived copy of the Abit site.

http://web.archive.org/web/200503081...ries=1&model=6

Since the NF7S uses MCP-T, then you'll want to use the Nvidia audio
drivers. This is one of the few chipsets with built-in features for
pumping 5.1 audio across SPDIF, in real time. The Southbridge has
DSP (digital signal processors), for pumping good quality 5.1 AC3
audio across to your receiver. It can actually convert six channels
of analog audio, into a format suitable for a Dolby equipped stereo
system. The latency is around 50 milliseconds or so (competing
software based schemes, have a 0.5 second to 1 second delay, for
comparison).

Now, that Abit-USA web page says:

"On board 10/100Mb LAN Physical layer interface"

Translating that into English, that means the motherboard LAN
is supported by the chipset (Southbridge). And that means you'll
want to tick and install the LAN driver. So these are the things
I'd tick, for my install. You get a chance to run this Nvidia installer,
after your system reboots the fresh install of Win2K for the first
time.

Audio driver version 4.31 (WHQL) --- For AC97 audio codec
Audio utility version 4.31 --- Control panel for equalizer
Win2K ethernet driver version 4.16 (WHQL) --- will give working LAN

Win2K ethernet NRM driver version 4.16 (WHQL) (Optional firewall ???)
Network management tools version 4.16 (hold off for later...)

GART driver version 3.77 (WHQL) with updated uninstaller files --- for AGP slot

Memory controller driver version 3.38 (WHQL) with updated uninstaller files [Yes]

SMBus driver version 4.04 (WHQL) with updated uninstaller files [Yes]

Installer version 4.38 [Presumably, so Add/Remove works]

I wouldn't bother with the following one, unless you think there is
some big performance improvement to be expected. Sometimes, drivers
like this, have some caching scheme, but in fact, Win2K has an
excellent file cache already. And I can't think of a reason why I'd
want this.

Win2K IDE 2.5 driver version 4.15 (WHQL) with updated uninstaller files

Once that is done, you can install the video card drivers, for
whatever video card you decide to install.

So, the install order would be

Win2K install CD.
No to "pressing F6"
Install Win2K.
Install Win2K SP4 Service Pack.
Install Win2K Update Rollup package (post-SP4)
(You'd still be missing maybe 30 security updates after that.)

Install Nvidia jumbo driver package, saying No to firewall and Nvidia IDE driver

and if that fails, repeat, only press F6 and offer the floppy with the 20 files.

HTH,
Paul