EP45-U3DL w/XP: Enabling SATA AHCI?

Old September 18th 10, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Default EP45-U3DL w/XP: Enabling SATA AHCI?

When I enable AHCI in BIOS setup, it provokes a boot loop in
which Windows (SP3) throws a Blue Screen Of Death for about a
tenth of a second and then the boot process starts all over
again.

Driver issue?

Somewhere I think I read something to the effect that AHCI had tb
enabled when Windows was first installed. Something with device
detection/driver choice by Windows Setup?

I'm finding the results of "Driver download AHCI" confusing.

Anybody been here?

Can I get past this without rebuilding the system?
--
PeteCresswell
Old September 18th 10, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
Anybody been here?

Can I get past this without rebuilding the system?

I think I'm on to something with
"HOW TO switch from IDE to AHCI mode without having to reinstall
Win XP (GUIDE)"
http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?ac...topic=106575.0

Barring that, it sounds like careful choice of the right SATA
card would be the path of least resistance.
--
PeteCresswell
Old September 18th 10, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
andy

1. Enable Gigabyte SATA2 interface in bios.
2. Boot to Windows XP.
3. Install Windows driver for Gigabyte SATA2 interface.
4. Connect hard drive to Gigabyte SATA2 interface.
5. Enable AHCI mode for Intel ICH10 SATA interface in Bios.
6. Boot to Windows XP.
7. Install Intel RAID/AHCI driver for ICH10 SATA interface.
8. Connect hard drive back to Intel ICH10 SATA interface.
9. Disable Gigabyte SATA2 interface in bios if desired.
10. Boot to Windows XP.

Old September 18th 10, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
I think I'm on to something with
"HOW TO switch from IDE to AHCI mode without having to reinstall
Win XP (GUIDE)"
http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?ac...topic=106575.0

The problem seems tb finding the proper driver.

I've tried a couple, but keep getting messages to the effect that
I have the wrong mobo for that driver.

EP45-UD3L.

The one that looks like it *should* be the right one comes down
as "motherboard_driver_sata_gb_sata2raid_ep45.exe ". But at
execution time, it's a no-go.
--
PeteCresswell
Old September 18th 10, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Per andy:
1. Enable Gigabyte SATA2 interface in bios.
2. Boot to Windows XP.
3. Install Windows driver for Gigabyte SATA2 interface.

Anybody know where to get that driver - or at least exactly what
it is called? I've tried a number of downloads for the AHCI
driver and keep getting ones that say I've got the wrong board.

4. Connect hard drive to Gigabyte SATA2 interface.

I'm guessing that once the driver is installed, the mobo
connectors (interfaces?) just hook up to the SAT2 driver, right?
i.e. there is no separate SATA2 interface? - unless it's a matter
of identifying which controller the SATA2 driver is affecting.

I seem to have two:

- Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage
Controller 2 - 3A26

- Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage
Controller 1 - #A20

(listed in that order in Device Manager

5. Enable AHCI mode for Intel ICH10 SATA interface in Bios.
6. Boot to Windows XP.
7. Install Intel RAID/AHCI driver for ICH10 SATA interface.

Ditto #3 on the driver sources.

--
PeteCresswell
Old September 18th 10, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per andy:
[...]

According to the manual here, there are six SATA ports, and
they're all on the Intel Southbridge. The separate Jmicron chip is
a JMB368 for IDE ribbon cable. The only way you could use that,
to "bounce" the boot drive to a non-Intel chip, is if you had a SATA
to IDE adapter dongle, then connect the boot drive to the JMB368.

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList...(r)_v1.1_e.pdf

You currently have the Southbridge in an "IDE compatible" mode, which
enables four of the six SATA connectors. So at the current time, you're
likely to find that two of the SATA connectors don't work. Once you change
the mode of the Southbridge in the BIOS, all six will be able to work.

To follow Andy's suggestion, you'd need to buy a separate SATA controller
card, then move the boot drive to that card, long enough to change
the Intel BIOS setting to AHCI. While some Gigabyte boards have a
"Gigabyte" (JMicron) SATA controller chip, that board doesn't. The
Jmicron chip used, is an IDE only ribbon cable chip.

http://www.jmicron.com/Product_JMB368.htm

It's either buy a card, or use the msi.com.tw forum recipe.

This card is based on a Jmicron chip, and would give you a capability
similar to the recipe Andy was describing. The card has the Jmicron chip,
plus a boot ROM. A lot of these kinds of controllers, can have different
code modules you can load in the boot ROM. One might support soft RAID
operation, the other supporting vanilla SATA disk operation. This card
looks to support vanilla SATA operation out of the box - at least I
see no mention of RAID. Always read the customer reviews, to see how
people succeeded or not, with their purchase. A number of these small
cards, have one kind of issue or another, so it's a matter of finding
one with "clean" reviews.

This card uses a SIL3132. They put one connector inside the computer,
and one connector on the faceplate.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-340-010-S04?$S640W$

There are plenty of drivers and boot ROM versions for SIL3132, available here.

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/...x?pid=32&cat=3

The only card types I object to, are the cards containing a two port
chip, with four physical ports to connect to. It uses jumpers, to
steer one port signals to two connectors, which isn't desirable for
3Gbit/sec signal routing. I would never buy one of these, no matter
how tempting it might look. A two port chip, should have two connectors
on the card.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-280-008-S01?$S640W$

Paul
Old September 19th 10, 06:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Per me/2:
How to change from IDE to AHCI after Windows XP installation

http://blog.mytwocents.it/?p=11

Nice work!

Gives the details where needed.

Thanks.
--
PeteCresswell

Enabling SATA mode on SATA drives in XP Yousuf Khan[_2_] Storage (alternative) 14 November 15th 09 05:30 AM
Problem enabling AHCI under Vista x64 f0gger Storage (alternative) 1 January 7th 08 01:30 AM
SATA & AHCI RobV Asus Motherboards 12 August 22nd 07 02:26 AM
Enabling AHCI on ASUS P5W DH Deluxe after Windows Xp Home (OEM) Installation Brian Covill Asus Motherboards 8 October 7th 06 02:34 AM
P5GD2 Premium IDE/SATA AHCI help? Anon Asus Motherboards 0 June 5th 05 05:31 AM