MB Availablility problem GA-X58-UD7, Rev "2".

Old August 15th 10, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
QX

Default MB Availablility problem GA-X58-UD7, Rev "2".

I have decided on a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7, Rev 2.

The problem is every online retailer has only the Rev 1 board.

The difference I see is that the Rev 1 has water ports on the
northbridge. The Rev 2 has no water ports, but does have a quick
charge for Apple devices, which is desirable to me.

Any suggestions as to how to get the one I want?

Old August 15th 10, 09:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

QX wrote:
I have decided on a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7, Rev 2.

The problem is every online retailer has only the Rev 1 board.

The difference I see is that the Rev 1 has water ports on the
northbridge. The Rev 2 has no water ports, but does have a quick
charge for Apple devices, which is desirable to me.

Any suggestions as to how to get the one I want?

I wish this one could be translated into something closer to english.
In terms of voltage/current/ohms law etc., the statements here are
nonsense.

http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-13...ff-charge.html

By using "OnOffCharge" as a search term, I was able to find this.
At least there isn't a flurry of BS here.

http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/185/on-off-charge.htm

There is some info here on the two revs.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=2327.0

The Rev.1 download page, has the OnOffCharge utility. The question
would be, does it belong on that web page or not ?

Both list OnOffCharge support here. Yet, the Rev.2 board has the
"special" red USB header. And a statement in the manual, that it
is the header that "works in S4/S5".

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3251#ov

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3527#ov

The USB ports have the 3X power feature on the Rev.1 . What isn't
clear, is what is wired to the "red" colored USB port on the
Rev.2, and how does that differ from OnOffCharge used with
Rev.1 motherboard and a non-red colored USB header.

ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/utility/m...hargesetup.exe

OK, my guess would be, that the Rev.2 will charge a phone in S4/S5,
if you plug it into the red USB header. On a Rev.1, the computer must
be running, when you want to start charging. You can turn the Rev.1
computer off (S4/S5), and since the processor setup the switch for the
USB, the phone would continue to charge. That is about as close as I
can get, to a hypothesis, as to what the difference might be. The Rev.2
can charge the phone, via the red header, even if you plug the phone
in for the first time, when the computer is off.

Charging should be a relatively simple function :-) For example, on
my motherboard, if I'm in hibernate (S4), my USB ports are all powered.
That means +5VSB is connected to them. That is a voltage source,
for which current can be drawn until the fuse opens. My motherboard
has 1 amp fuses on it (the USB limit is 0.5 amps). So based on that,
I would think I could charge a phone from it. I don't understand
the Gigabyte claim of "regulating the voltage", because +5VSB is
already regulated by the power supply. So I'm at a bit of a loss
as to what they could be doing, to "force" more current into the
phone. Obviously, there is a way to do that (DC-DC conversion,
overvolt the USB connector), but that is just silly and dangerous.
I hope that isn't what is implied.

And I'd read the reviews for the motherboard on Newegg, and see if it
is the right one for you or not.

It just occurred to me, that there are two competing requirements on
motherboards. Motherboards that are "EuP Ready", may be controlling
+5VSB power consumption with a Nuvoton NCT3016Y. So perhaps a
motherboard that is EuP ready, turns off the USB ports when the
computer is shut down ? My motherboard isn't EuP ready, which is
perhaps why the USB ports run all the time. And then, perhaps the
OnOffCharge utility, has something to do with disabling EuP so
the ports can be used for charging ? My head hurts...

http://www.asrock.com/feature/EuP/index.asp

http://www.nuvoton.com/NuvotonMOSS/C...d-0ade4ba14f9a

I would think a dedicated, standalone charger for your phone, would be
a better option.

Good luck,
Paul